Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage.png
Sega has released an updated and remastered version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for iOS, adding iPad and iPhone 5 support, in addition to a new Boss Attack Mode and a new online 2-player mode. The update is free for current owners of the game.

The game is a faithful recreation of the classic Sega Genesis title, but adds a secret zone called the Hidden Palace that was removed from the original game. The game was made by the same team that released the Sonic CD iOS-port previously. Our sister-site TouchArcade has more:
Just a quick heads-up to let you know that the Sonic The Hedgehog 2 [$2.99] remastered update, which we gave you some first impressions of yesterday, is now available as a free update to the original game in the App Store. In addition to improved visuals, widescreen and Universal iPad support, and a 60fps frame rate, this remastered Sonic 2 also includes brand new additions like a Boss Attack Mode, an online 2-player mode, Knuckles as a playable character right from the start, and the first ever official inclusion of the long-lost Hidden Palace Zone which was scrapped from the original Sega Genesis version of the game just days before release back in 1992.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is available for $2.99 from the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for iOS Remastered and Rereleased

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I've been waiting for Sonic the Hedgehog 3, but they still haven't released it on iOS yet :(.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I've always been a Nintendo fan myself and have never picked up a Sonic. Is this a good one? (Not the game in general, but this specific port. IE, a lot of platformers have horrid controls, particularly those that weren't originally made for touch screens.)

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I've always been a Nintendo fan myself and have never picked up a Sonic. Is this a good one? (Not the game in general, but this specific port. IE, a lot of platformers have horrid controls, particularly those that weren't originally made for touch screens.)

In my opinion, it was the best Sonic to be released.

Edit: nevermind, didn't read your statement about not the game in general, but this specific port.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008

If controls are your main concern then you'll be happy to hear that the controls are very customizable in this version. You can adjust the opacity, location, and size of the D-pad and button.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana

This is a good port of the game. The online multiplayer as well as the normal gameplay is smooth. Sound is great. There are a lot of different unlockables and hidden items that can be accessed in the no save area. You can play as Sonic and Tails (Separate or Together) and Knuckles too. (In the Sonic 1 port you had to unlock Tails and Knuckles.)

Overall, it would be well worth the purchase and the hours of fun!

As far as controller support goes, I cannot tell you as I do not have any physical controllers.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Is Tails' AI still as narmy as ever? It won't be the same without it.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Why does Nintendo want to stay in the hardware game? Just think about the franchises they own when it comes to games.... they could be making serious bank for generations to come for both iOS and PC/Mac.

Do you know how many Nintendo games I'd buy if they had iPad/Mac versions? Wow, they'd make a killing.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Why does Nintendo want to stay in the hardware game? Just think about the franchises they own when it comes to games.... they could be making serious bank for generations to come for both iOS and PC/Mac.

Do you know how many Nintendo games I'd buy if they had iPad/Mac versions? Wow, they'd make a killing.

They need an iOS version of Pokemon. Not a port but a new one (although I'll take a port). That would be epic!

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009

Nintendo has always been a toy company, ever since the beginning. If they outsourced their software to other companies, why should anyone buy their toys/consoles?

SEGA doesn't make consoles anymore. Nintendo does, and I like that they actually try to do new things when it comes to hardware. But if they can't get their act together soon with the software, they're going to end up going in SEGA's direction. So... we can expect to see Super Mario iOS sometime in 2017-18 ;)

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Nintendo has always been a toy company, ever since the beginning. If they outsourced their software to other companies, why should anyone buy their toys/consoles?

SEGA doesn't make consoles anymore. Nintendo does, and I like that they actually try to do new things when it comes to hardware. But if they can't get their act together soon with the software, they're going to end up going in SEGA's direction. So... we can expect to see Super Mario iOS sometime in 2017-18 ;)

Nintendo will probably release the DS Lite 2, the true successor to the DS Lite with a single retina-quality display which drops the 3D gimmick and the Wii F U before that happens.;)

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

Pretty much the same reason Apple doesn't license OS X to PC makers. Nintendo is primarily a hardware company. That said, unlike Apple, Nintendo's latest efforts are certainly not selling well at all

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Wow finally an update geez. I have had this game since it's launch and since iOS 7 it has been near unplayable with lag and unresponsivness.

Now it has had the same treatment as Sonic 1 possibly even better it is running smooth and sounds great.

What tey need next is a remastered release of Sonic 3 with Sonic and Knuckles so you have the ehole intended game.

As for Nintendo, they are a stupid and stubborn company. iOS is a far more popular system than 3DS, they are missing out on a massive revenue stream.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010

Because Nintendo banks on selling their new hardware by the legendary success of all their major franchises. If they released those titles on the neutral systems (iOS/Android/PC) there wouldn't be a big reason to go buying any of their hardware. The great majority of unique and amazing games sell on other consoles (GTA, Last of Us, Halo, Uncharted, most other popular cross-platformers.)

I only bought a 3DS XL for Mario, Pokemon, etc. whereas the rest of their available library is entirely uninteresting to me.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's a shame this is only out on mobile devices at the moment. I'd love to get the Christian Whitehead version of this on PS3/Vita/3DS with physical controls and no fingers hovering over the screen.

Have you seen the 3DS sales figures? It's set to become on the best selling consoles of all time. Wii U, less so, but hey at least Nintendo is able to build hardware around software and vice versa which has led to some fantastic games on the Wii series of consoles.
And of course; the Wii. Inches from becoming the best selling home console of all time.

Nintendo consoles always pull a profit per system sold (unlike the competition), and given how well they sell would you settle for just making 70% off software sales, and nothing for 3rd party sales?

You're aware of the sales figures for Nintendo software, even though they're priced at hundreds of times more than iOS games? You'd rather they adopt the iOS standard of cheap games and microtransactions? No way.

Don't let your fanaticism for Apple get in the way ;)

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
It's a shame this is only out on mobile devices at the moment. I'd love to get the Christian Whitehead version of this on PS3/Vita/3DS with physical controls and no fingers hovering over the screen.

Have you seen the 3DS sales figures? It's set to become on the best selling consoles of all time. Wii U, less so, but hey at least Nintendo is able to build hardware around software and vice versa which has led to some fantastic games on the Wii series of consoles.
And of course; the Wii. Inches from becoming the best selling home console of all time.

Nintendo consoles always pull a profit per system sold (unlike the competition), and given how well they sell would you settle for just making 70% off software sales, and nothing for 3rd party sales?

You're aware of the sales figures for Nintendo software, even though they're priced at hundreds of times more than iOS games? You'd rather they adopt the iOS standard of cheap games and microtransactions? No way.

Don't let your fanaticism for Apple get in the way ;)

That hasn't been the case since 2011 because both the 3DS and Wii U were sold at a loss (and still are in the Wii U's case).
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/26/nintendo-confirms-that-its-selling-3ds-at-a-loss-expects-that/
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/nintendo-wii-u-still-being-sold-at-a-loss/

They are also looking into free to play as well.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-19-nintendos-first-free-to-play-game-will-be-steel-diver

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Sonic still exists?

----------

Not really. If a hundred people want to play Pokemon, they need a 3DS at £150 and then the game at £30. That's a total of £18,000. If they were to release it as a mobile app, the profit would be considerably less.

Same reason why Apple only make their software for their hardware. Just like Nintendo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.