Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
So I have been loving my iPhone 5 since day 1. But just today I got a phone call from a friend. I picked up and didn't hear anything. This guy has an old broken Sprint Android phone that gets terrible reception, so I figure it is a problem on his end.

I try to call back, but I hear no ringing.

I restart my phone and try calling again. No ringing. Texting works, data works. Tried calling other numbers, the phone calls go through but my phone does not put out or send any sound. System sounds like alarms work, keyboard clicks, game sounds, music playback, etc, all work.

I tried plugging in my ear pods - no luck. Tried in my car connected to my bluetooth stereo. No ringing.

Note - this was on a "perfect" iPhone 5. No issues so far, phone calls worked up until today.

Has anyone else had this issue? I am trying a restore right now and have a genius bar appointment for tomorrow.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Yes, had the exact same problem yesterday on my otherwise perfect 5.

Made two calls to other cell numbers, could hear nothing. Then I tried again and went to speakerphone- that worked fine, but wouldn't send audio through the earpiece when switching back off speaker.

Did a hard reset on the iPhone, tried again, same issue. Called my extension in my office using the iPhone, still nada. I could hear myself on my office phone so the iPhone was transmitting fine, but could not hear anything using the iPhone earpiece.

Then I called my iPhone from my office extension, still could hear nothing, on the iPhone.

Smacked the receiver of the office phone lightly on the desk, and lo and behold- the iPhone earpiece kicked in. Has not been a problem since. Works normally.

So far the problem has not reappeared, it worked perfectly today. I am concerned it could have been a transient hardware issue of some kind. Perhaps a stuck pin in the headphone jack.

Otherwise it might be a software issue involving needing a minimum threshold volume received.

If it reappears I will definitely schedule an appointment with the Apple store.

Meanwhile I will dig around Apple Support to see if anyone else has had this.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Hmm, interesting. Looks like I will be using my genius bar appointment tomorrow.

I just restored to factory through iTunes. Same issue still persists. Tried reseating the sim card. Again, no difference.

My situation seems slightly different than yours, as I could hear nothing on the other end when I called our landline. On my iPhone every other time or so I will hear my own echo. Also speakerphone doesn't work in my case (Or any other bluetooth or wired headset.)

I'm really not sure what it is though, as the earpiece works, I can hear voicemail through it. I'm thinking it could be the noise cancellation...rather than canceling ambient noise it is canceling everything.

I did a bit of searching but I could only find phone audio issues with older devices caused by software problems.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
OK, following up, after I found this issue on the Apple website support, confirming a HARDWARE issue, (easily proved- lightly squeeze the phone 5 mm to the right of the earpiece and it starts working) I made a Genius Bar appointment. The tech took the phone out back, opened it up and "after cleaning some dust out from under the connector" the earpiece works perfectly.

Took 20 minutes to get attention at the bar (with appointment) and about 4 minutes to resolve the problem.

Bought AC+ as well. Cheap insurance.

rkgdroid

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
quite new iPhone5

I have the same problem as Archer with a month-old (40-days) iPhone5 on T-Mobile. Squeezing the phone to the right of the earpiece will bring back the audio loud and clear. I waited longer than 30 days to bring it in thinking it was a reception issue. Bad mistake. Now apple not replace my phone, but will only replace the earpiece.

I am a bit upset that there is was not outright replacement. If I have to make another appointment with Genius and have to drive back into an Apple store -- I will not be a happy customer.

TAGS: manufacturer defect receiver speakerphone

Cmorris18

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
Today after work i noticed that my iPhone 5 doesn't produce any sound, whether it be through music or an app. It just doesn't work. Also, if I call someone or if they call me I can't hear them on the other line unless the phone is on speaker. This has never happened until I updated software with iOS 6.1.4. Has anyone else had this problem?

sappfam

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
JClardy - I know this thread is a tad stale but I'm wondering what the end result of said appointment was.

I am now experiencing the same problem while on 7.0.4. Other apps which use the 3 microphones on the iPhone 5 seem to work but while I CAN initiate a call, I CAN'T hear nor can they hear me. While connected, I can go to the keypad and send tones across and like you, all other data/text works fine. Ruling out the carrier. I noticed that when I dial my cell to test, the phone application seems very sluggish. A few times I'd initiate the speaker to test then disable it back to earpiece and the speaker option would grey out for a few seconds.

My 'GENIUS' was a tool and told me that my earpiece as well as the mic down below and speaker were bad. I told him that other apps use the mic w/o problems and he stated that there are 3 mice and they use the other mice not this one. That night I went home and tested by tapping the mic's to see which app uses which mic's. As it turns out, Voxer uses the mic near the earpiece/front camera BUT Voice Memos app uses the mic at the bottom which GENIUS BOY said was bad and I can record and playback via speaker/earpiece with no issues :mad:.

As you did, restoring back to a new phone did nothing to help and I tried squeezing near the earpiece as was discussed in this thread but that did nothing either.

What did you end up doing to resolve this problem. I am 89 days past warranty so I'm SOL unless I want to pay $269 to Apple to repair it which at this point is ludicrous.

One thing to note hear is that while I knew my battery seemed to be on the way out, it did come up during online support with Apple and with the local Apple store that my battery is going and it failed their diagnostics. Perhaps it's related but if you ask me, that's a long-shot since I still can do other functions.
Appreciate your input!

Hmm, interesting. Looks like I will be using my genius bar appointment tomorrow.

I just restored to factory through iTunes. Same issue still persists. Tried reseating the sim card. Again, no difference.

My situation seems slightly different than yours, as I could hear nothing on the other end when I called our landline. On my iPhone every other time or so I will hear my own echo. Also speakerphone doesn't work in my case (Or any other bluetooth or wired headset.)

I'm really not sure what it is though, as the earpiece works, I can hear voicemail through it. I'm thinking it could be the noise cancellation...rather than canceling ambient noise it is canceling everything.

I did a bit of searching but I could only find phone audio issues with older devices caused by software problems.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
JClardy - I know this thread is a tad stale but I'm wondering what the end result of said appointment was.

I am now experiencing the same problem while on 7.0.4. Other apps which use the 3 microphones on the iPhone 5 seem to work but while I CAN initiate a call, I CAN'T hear nor can they hear me. While connected, I can go to the keypad and send tones across and like you, all other data/text works fine. Ruling out the carrier. I noticed that when I dial my cell to test, the phone application seems very sluggish. A few times I'd initiate the speaker to test then disable it back to earpiece and the speaker option would grey out for a few seconds.

My 'GENIUS' was a tool and told me that my earpiece as well as the mic down below and speaker were bad. I told him that other apps use the mic w/o problems and he stated that there are 3 mice and they use the other mice not this one. That night I went home and tested by tapping the mic's to see which app uses which mic's. As it turns out, Voxer uses the mic near the earpiece/front camera BUT Voice Memos app uses the mic at the bottom which GENIUS BOY said was bad and I can record and playback via speaker/earpiece with no issues :mad:.

As you did, restoring back to a new phone did nothing to help and I tried squeezing near the earpiece as was discussed in this thread but that did nothing either.

What did you end up doing to resolve this problem. I am 89 days past warranty so I'm SOL unless I want to pay $269 to Apple to repair it which at this point is ludicrous.

One thing to note hear is that while I knew my battery seemed to be on the way out, it did come up during online support with Apple and with the local Apple store that my battery is going and it failed their diagnostics. Perhaps it's related but if you ask me, that's a long-shot since I still can do other functions.
Appreciate your input!

Unfortunately I think I just ended up getting a replacement at my genius bar appointment. It was fairly early in the iPhone 5 release so many times they are eager to replace devices so that they can take the problem ones to examine the cause. Sorry I couldn't help you out!

grahamb

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2004

Appreciate your input!

Hey @sappfam - did you come up with a fix for this? Same thing just happened to my iphone 5. Just passed warranty and the speakers and microphones stopped working during calls. Facetime works, Facetime voice only works, Siri works...I just can't hear anyone during a phone call and they can't hear me. During a phone call headphones and speakerphone don't work either.

Thanks.

grahamb

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2004
the Apple store just replaced the receiver in the phone, but that did nothing. Ugh.

Any thoughts?

muld0zer

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2013
iPhone 5, Jailbroken running 7.0.4. Audio stopped working during voice calls. They can't hear me and I can't hear them dialing and receiving on speaker, mic/headset or bluetooth. Completely silent other than pushing numbers on my dialpad makes a beep on receiving end. I can listen to voicemails (speaker and earpiece) + VoIP works (facetime, skype, google voice) on both the speaker, mic, headset. Voice memos work. Tried hard resets, power off, semiRestore, and nothing seems to get voice calls working again. I really don't want to update it and lose the JB and have it not work. Any suggestions?

Svetoklik

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2015
iPhone 5, Jailbroken running 7.0.4. Audio stopped working during voice calls. They can't hear me and I can't hear them dialing and receiving on speaker, mic/headset or bluetooth. Completely silent other than pushing numbers on my dialpad makes a beep on receiving end. I can listen to voicemails (speaker and earpiece) + VoIP works (facetime, skype, google voice) on both the speaker, mic, headset. Voice memos work. Tried hard resets, power off, semiRestore, and nothing seems to get voice calls working again. I really don't want to update it and lose the JB and have it not work. Any suggestions?

Hello I have the same problem. Have you resolve it?
Thanks.

ThatAmazinChick

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
Hello I was wondering if anyone had the solution to this?? I don’t have any insurance on my iPhone 5s so I’m really hoping I don’t have to get a whole new iPhone ....

Appreciate your input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.