Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

American singer Beyoncè released her self-titled fifth studio album today, which is exclusively available on iTunes and is notably dominating the digital music store's rotating carousel.

beyoncebig.png
The album, dubbed a "visual album" because each song comes with an accompanying music video, has seen an unprecedented marketing push from Apple within the iTunes Store, receiving all the attention of the promotion carousel at the top of the store and even spawning a "Beyoncè albums" section where users can see her four other albums and anthology album.

Apple has previously offered exclusive streaming for certain albums, like David Bowie's The Next Day, leveraging iTunes dominant position in the digital music landscape.

Beyoncè is available now for $15.99, with individual song and video sales starting on December 20.

Article Link: Beyonce Releases Exclusive iTunes Album, Dominating Store Carousel

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Kinda interesting how she dropped this album at midnight, worldwide, with no promotion or pre-announcement.

I wonder what the sales will be like, considering by doing this, there were no leaks.

Also makes you marvel at the power of iTunes. In mere minutes, thousands of copies were legitimately purchased across the planet.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I hate to see the big record companies make sure they push absolutely everything else from the spotlight for a few days, like they're doing here.

Then again, of course the "popular" music is always what's on the front page. The real gems are the music that are not.. that.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Dropping your entire album + music videos in one go is not very smart. Especially at the end of December when most radio stations are going all Christmas mode. It's going to be the thing everyone talks about this weekend, and then fly right off the charts by January 1st.

4 was such a lacking album though, so I guess this is her safety net. If it does good, great, if it doesn't, well, no one will remember because it was the usual Christmas break that the charts suffer from every end of the year.

I hate to see the big record companies make sure they push absolutely push everything else from the spotlight for a few days, like they're doing here.

Then again, of course the "popular" music is always what's on the front page. The real gems are the music that is not.. that.

Me too, this is too much like payola on Apple's part.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
exclusive album... now you can see the prices we would have, if there was no competition. $15.99

but then again, it comes with alot of videos i dont care about.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
I'm going to get flak for this (probably mainly because it's Beyoncé and it's hard to find anyone that hates her) but I'm on the side of "this is stupid."

I have nothing against her, or her music, but dominating the big advertising spots is stupid. There are other albums coming out that could really benefit from those spots (such as Childish Gambino's new album that released a few days ago) whereas Beyoncé is so well established to the point that all you need to say is "Beyoncé has a new album available now" and the rest will take care of itself.

It would make sense to have her take up one of those spots as with all major releases, but to steal away ALL of the largest advertising spaces is nothing but bad business for the rest of everyone.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
Of course she's going to take all of the advertising spaces. She's B.E.Y.O.N.CE. All you haters need to sit down.

I'm going to get flak for this (probably mainly because it's Beyoncé and it's hard to find anyone that hates her) but I'm on the side of "this is stupid."

I have nothing against her, or her music, but dominating the big advertising spots is stupid. There are other albums coming out that could really benefit from those spots (such as Childish Gambino's new album that released a few days ago) whereas Beyoncé is so well established to the point that all you need to say is "Beyoncé has a new album available now" and the rest will take care of itself.

It would make sense to have her take up one of those spots as with all major releases, but to steal away ALL of the largest advertising spaces is nothing but bad business for the rest of everyone.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Too many African-Americans on iTunes featured page. It's like Apple has some hidden agenda trying to push rap and R&B music to American youth.

They need to feature an occasional Amish rap star, or some Filipino karaoke celebrity, or maybe a Korean Elvis impersonator crooner-type. iTunes Store needs more variety. :p

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
Dropping your entire album + music videos in one go is not very smart. Especially at the end of December when most radio stations are going all Christmas mode. It's going to be the thing everyone talks about this weekend, and then fly right off the charts by January 1st.

4 was such a lacking album though, so I guess this is her safety net. If it does good, great, if it doesn't, well, no one will remember because it was the usual Christmas break that the charts suffer from every end of the year.

Me too, this is too much like payola on Apple's part.

I think I was the only person who liked "4" ... I love me some "Love On Top" and "Best Thing I Never Had".

Kinda disappointed she didn't put "Grown Woman" as a track. :confused:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
We aren't haters. Beyonce should be better than that.

the big deal is that she released a new album no one even knew about nor that she was even working on one which is pretty damn impressive with twitter and the digital age these days. this must be a first. the last time i remember someone announcing a single and album after almost 6 years no one knew about was Justin Timberlake in like january and it helped his sales A LOT

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Just shows her team are scared her album will bomb, it gets more and more likely as she is gets older. For anyone under 25 she's just not cool and mumsy.

Sorry beyonce fans this doesn't say premium but smacks of desperation.

and visual album... sorry isn't that a music video? Kinda like saying you realeased a visual book.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
I think I was the only person who liked "4" ... I love me some "Love On Top" and "Best Thing I Never Had".

Kinda disappointed she didn't put "Grown Woman" as a track. :confused:

I think (wish, hope) that they might put Grown Woman on the deluxe edition of the album. It definitely would have been the radio single. Regardless, the album will definitely be successful regardless. (4 went at least triple platinum, by the way. Check Wikipedia.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.