Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the second beta of iOS 7.1 to registered developers for testing purposes, following the release of the first iOS 7.1 beta back in mid-November. The update has a build number of 11D5115d and is available via an over-the-air update or through Apple's developer center website.

ios_7_1_beta_2.jpg
Release notes from the first iOS 7.1 beta indicated that the update fixes network connection issues in addition to other bugs. The beta also included a new Yahoo logo, extra burst mode uploading options for the camera, and an option for a "dark keyboard" in the Accessibility section.

According to the iOS 7.1 beta 2 release notes, this update fixes several bugs, including one that caused all tones to sound like the default. The settings for Touch ID and Passcodes have also been moved from General settings to the main settings menu and Calendar has a new list view toggle.

While the "dark keyboard" option appears to have been removed from accessibility options, there's a new "Button Shapes" option that can be turned on to indicate where tappable areas are located. Animations appear to be faster in iOS 7.1 beta 2 and Control Center has gained a new bounce animation and music labels that show the audio source.

Apple has also seeded a new version of the Apple TV beta software, along with Xcode 5.1 Developer Preview 2.

Update: As noted by 9to5Mac, iOS 7.1 may add support for iOS in the Car, which is designed to provide enhanced iOS integration in compatible automobiles. In the second beta, iOS 7.1 includes a "Car Display" toggle in the Restrictions Settings panel, along with additional iOS in the Car references, suggesting that iOS in the Car could come in early 2014.

cardisplay.jpg
With iOS in the Car, iPhone owners will be able to connect their iOS devices to a compatible car to access maps, get directions, check messages, and more by displaying iOS content on the car's navigational screen.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 7.1 Beta 2 to Developers [Updated]

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Quickly! Scour the release notes to find that there are pretty much no new user-facing features!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple today released the second beta of iOS 7.1 to registered developers for testing purposes, following the release of the first iOS 7.1 beta back in mid-November. The update can be downloaded via Apple's developer center and carries a build number of 11D5115d.

Release notes from the first iOS 7.1 beta indicated that the update fixes network connection issues in addition to other bugs. The beta also included a new Yahoo logo, extra burst mode uploading options for the camera, and an option for a "dark keyboard" in the Accessibility section.

Apple has also seeded a new version of the Apple TV beta software, along with Xcode 5.1 Developer Preview 2.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 7.1 Beta 2 to Developers

I don't remember the last time a subsequent beta (beta after beta 1) was not released OTA..

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
The beta also included a new Yahoo logo, extra burst mode uploading options for the camera, and an option for a "dark keyboard" in the Accessibility section.

Yes, yes, YES! Finally, iOS 7 has the edge I've been waiting for!

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Seems like a very minimal .1 upgrade. Used to be .1 updates included lots of new features, not just more bug fixes.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I really hope iOS 7.1 is fluid as iOS 6 for me to update my iPhone 5. I've had both my iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5s run against each other with iOS 7 and performance was exactly the same. Then when my iPhone 5 broke, Apple replaced it coming with iOS 6. I was shocked at how much smoother everything felt. I did the same tests with iOS 6 vs iOS 7 and the iPhone 5 beat the iPhone 5s in many fluidity and responsiveness tests. Battery was also much better with iOS 6. I really want to update as I can't get many of the apps I want, please Apple!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple today released the second beta of iOS 7.1 to registered developers for testing purposes, following the release of the first iOS 7.1 beta back in mid-November. The update has a build number of 11D5115d.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 7.1 Beta 2 to Developers

It's now available OTA.

DMod

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Hopefully they fixed some of the issues ios7 has on 64bit devices. Safari is almost unusable on my retina mini because of tabs reloading every time and tons of crashes.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I'm most concerned about iPad Air stability with the OS. If anyone can comment about it, thanks a bunch!

----------

Hopefully they fixed some of the issues ios7 has on 64bit devices. Safari is almost unusable on my retina mini because of tabs reloading every time and tons of crashes.

Yes this is what I am hoping for as well.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Hopefully they added something groundbreaking like a new Yahoo logo :rolleyes:

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Installing too - hopefully it will fix the three bugs I’ve seen so far. 1) is weird graphical glitch when typing on the keyboard when its set to dark. 2) is the white keyboard shows up then quickly switches to the black one and the third one is when playing music and controlling it from the lock screen - as in skipping a track or repeating the last one that was just playing, it would play about 15 seconds then stop. If you control it via the Music app its fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.