Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
This thread is for all the people that updated to ios 7.1 beta 2 and aren't devs and can't get iTunes to restore their backup onto ios 7.0.4. (This includes me :) )

1. Find the iTunes backup on your computer. ( on windows its located in C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup )

2. Find the backup you want to restore. (It should be the one that has the latest modified)

3. Download a free plist editor and go into the backup folder of the backup you wish to restore.

4. Find the info.plist and open it with plist editor.

5. Change the line "<key>Product Version</key>
<string>7.1</string>"
to
<key>Product Version</key>
<string>7.0.4</string>

6. Save the plist file and do the same with the status.plist file

7. successfully restore the ios 7.1 backup to a device running ios 6.1.4

vangelisbrs

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
Please help me

What if my only backup is on icloud?
i update to ios 7.1 beta 2 over the air, so now i can't restore to my last backup.
i quess i need to pay for a developer acount!!!

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
i update to ios 7.1 beta 2 over the air, so now i can't restore to my last backup.

sorry but don't know how to do it with icloud back up.

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013

If you have a computer, download iTunes

You may have to put your device in DFU mode, follow the steps listed here to put it in DFU mode

How to enter DFU mode

With your iPhone connected to your computer via usb, iTunes will detect an iPhone in DFU mode and allow you to download iOS 7.0.4 and restore your phone

Then, restore from iCloud backup on your newly restored phone :)

But, this is just a guess and not from experience but it should work.

Last edited:

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
If you have a computer, download iTunes

You may have to put your device in DFU mode, follow the steps listed here to put it in DFU mode

How to enter DFU mode

With your iPhone connected to your computer via usb, iTunes will detect an iPhone in DFU mode and allow you to download iOS 7.0.4 and restore your phone

Then, restore from iCloud backup on your newly restored phone :)

But, this is just a guess and not from experience but it should work.

DFU restore if it works after the failed OTA update will force download of 7.0.4

I'm working on it and i will inform you

I believe if you backed up with icloud while on ios 7.1 and you go back to 7.0.4 then iclouad won't let you restore. Its just gonna say ios 7.1 required to restore this backup. But lets hope it works for you and report back after you try.

vangelisbrs

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
Ross1998 you are right. i can't restore from an icloud backup created with ios 7.1
Nevermind, i wish to have a backup at my office's pc.

Thank you anyway

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Is the restore stable? IIRC previous attempts to restore to a lower version were often glitchy.

^
I would like to know this as well.

I restored my ios 7.1 backup to my 5s running ios 7.0.4 with this method and I've had no crashes since I restored.(it's been 9 hours now) so everything seems stable and I think it's even more stable than it's ever been.

rohanraut92

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2013
I'm a non developer stuck at ios 7.1 beta 2 with activation error. I'm trying to get my UDID registered. But this is going to be useful method. Plz let us know if UDID registration will activate my phone or should I take it to apple care

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm a non developer stuck at ios 7.1 beta 2 with activation error. I'm trying to get my UDID registered. But this is going to be useful method. Plz let us know if UDID registration will activate my phone or should I take it to apple care
UDID registration if actually done correctly (and not perhaps through some scam site or something) should take care of it (might need to restart shortly after the registration is submitted).

rohanraut92

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks. After lot if failed attempts to go back to 7.0.4 I guess that's a better option. Will get it done locally via someone reliable then.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

iOS 7.1b2 will need a UDID registered to activate. AppleCare most likely wont/cant help.

Last edited:

rohanraut92

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2013
Worked perfectly. Here are location for mac users.
Where are iTunes backups stored on your computer
The folder where your backup data is stored depends on the computer's operating system. Make sure the backup folder is included in your data-backup routine. iTunes places the backup files in the following places:

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
The "~" represents your Home folder. If you don't see Library in your home folder, hold Option and click the Go menu.
Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, and choose Run. Type %appdata% and click OK.
Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata% and press Return.

rafal408

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
6. Save the plist file and do the same with the status.plist file

what should i do with status.plist file, i don't see "<key>Product Version</key>
<string>7.1</string>" in this file

allan0116

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Thanks for the information! I just successfully restored the backup from 7.1!!

----------

what should i do with status.plist file, i don't see "<key>Product Version</key>
<string>7.1</string>" in this file

It's actually the Manifest.plist file. You can find the Product Version in this file and please change it to 7.0.4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.