Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pebblenotifications.png
Pebble today released an update for its smart watch that enables various features, including a "Do Not Disturb" function that blocks notifications for a specified period of time, and the ability to create multiple alarms.

Also included is improved control over notifications which allow the user to specify which types of messages are displayed, and enhanced iOS connectivity performance along with various bug fixes.
What's New
Do Not Disturb. Block notifications for a set period of time (from Pebble: Settings » Notifications » Do Not Disturb).

Alarms app update. Create multiple Alarms, toggle Alarms on/off, and edit existing Alarms.
New "Snooze Alarm." Customizable via the Pebble Alarms app.

Improved Notification Control. Specify what notifications are displayed (Notifications On, Phone Calls Only, or Notifications Off). Notification settings are now accessible more quickly through a dedicated menu (Settings » Notifications).

Improved iOS performance. Notifications are now sent more quickly from your iOS device to Pebble. After exiting Airplane Mode, Pebble will now search for connectable iOS devices immediately, instead of waiting one minute.
The device was also updated earlier this month with full support for iOS 7 notifications along with the addition of a developer SDK and APIs for Javascript, the accelerometer, data logging and persistent storage.

Originally, the Pebble raised more than $10 million on Kickstarter, potentially proving the viability of the smart watch as a product. Apple is also said to be working on its own iWatch and recently invested hundreds of millions of dollars in a new Arizona factory to make sapphire glass, perhaps for such a product.

The Pebble smart watch is available for $150 from getpebble.com and at Best Buy and AT&T retail stores.

Article Link: Pebble Smart Watch Adds 'Do Not Disturb' Option, Enhanced Notification Control

JGO

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Warning

Word to the wise: Ordering the watch directly through Pebble (getpebble.com) is hit or miss in terms of fulfillment and shipping, and their customer support is via email only (no phone numbers).

If you take a look at their forums you will see that orders unfulfilled/undelivered is a regular occurrence, and getting support (other than an automated email response) with such issues can take weeks.

By their own terms of sale (on their website) they are not to charge your credit/debt card until they have the "inventory available," and they claim that as soon as the order physically leaves their distribution center they will send you a tracking number.

For me personally, my credit card was charged and I received a tracking number over 7 business days ago, but the tracking number still shows only "Electronic Shipping Info Received." According to USPS they have yet to receive the package from Pebble. :(

My advice...if you are going to get one then go to Best Buy.

Last edited:

ResEvilG4

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
I wonder how many people actually own one if these.

I've have one for about 3 weeks now, I think it's great!!

And I simply sent them an email saying I wanted to try Pebble 2.0 firmware just out of curiosity. They emailed me back a day later with a link to the proper downloads. Response time was pretty quick in my opinion.

Last edited:

JGO

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Response time was pretty quick in my opinion.

Likely a different email address, volume of incoming mail, and workers receiving your message. The help address for the shipping trouble is order@pebble.com (same one you used?).

Seriously, if you click through a page or two of the forum that I linked in my post you will see that getting a response in two weeks or more is likely the norm, and some have gone over a month with no response other than the automated email indicating receipt of your inquiry.

I am so frustrated at this point that I hope Apple releases a product that buries Pebble. Likely it will cost more, but it will come with order fulfillment/delivery and customer service that is way beyond anything that Pebble offers.

HerQ

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
The Netherlands
I'm also a Kickstarter backer, and received mine back in February. The Pebble has very much improved since, my only pain point still present after this update is its battery indicator, which is hidden in the menu so I never know when it needs to be recharged.

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Got mine today and am still learning how to use all the features.

I was very impressed it could be set up straight out of the box with just the phone, no need to connect to a PC first.

iOS detected that an app was needed and asked to download it. Once done the app upgraded the watch firmware and ran the configuration wizard. All done in three minutes, very sleek.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
My Pebble often vibrates constantly as if to notify me of an incoming call when I am already on one, but there is no other call, no call waiting going on. I found out the hard way that hitting the x on the Pebble ends the call rather than ceasing the vibration. It is an annoying bug to be on a phone call and start having your wrist vibrate until you are done talking!

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Word to the wise: Ordering the watch directly through Pebble (getpebble.com) is hit or miss in terms of fulfillment and shipping, and their customer support is via email only (no phone numbers).

If you take a look at their forums you will see that orders unfulfilled/undelivered is a regular occurrence, and getting support (other than an automated email response) with such issues can take weeks.

By their own terms of sale (on their website) they are not to charge your credit/debt card until they have the "inventory available," and they claim that as soon as the order physically leaves their distribution center they will send you a tracking number.

For me personally, my credit card was charged and I received a tracking number over 7 business days ago, but the tracking number still shows only "Electronic Shipping Info Received." According to USPS they have yet to receive the package from Pebble. :(

My advice...if you are going to get one then go to Best Buy.

That is what I did. Bought the red 1 at best buy since I didn't want the orange or the white one.

I bought 2 at best buy and return them due to the yellow E-Ink screen, and got a third one that was perfect.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
my only pain point still present after this update is its battery indicator, which is hidden in the menu so I never know when it needs to be recharged.

Yep I agree. That's the worst. The first I know of a low battery is when I go to look at my watch and am confronted with a blank screen. Often in the morning, so I could have charged it overnight, if only I had known!

I also hate that my favourite watch face (smart watch+) requires a certain app to be open in order to work and give me calendar and weather updates. It often gets booted by my iPhone OS (stupid apple and their lack of RAM).

The other thing I hated was what this update fixed: the lack of 'do not disturb'. Since their alerts are now tied in to notification centre, and it has a do not disturb option, I don't know why they never tied into that. I lost count the amount of times I was awoken at night by a vibration on my arm because of some crappy chain email.

BTW kickstarter backer here, got mine in March. When I got it it was completely useless with an iPhone. Now it's a whole lot better.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'd be interested in getting one, but the iPhone integration relies on an Pebble App being running.

How often will iOS unload that app running in the background?

jwilson25

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
My Pebble often vibrates constantly as if to notify me of an incoming call when I am already on one, but there is no other call, no call waiting going on. I found out the hard way that hitting the x on the Pebble ends the call rather than ceasing the vibration. It is an annoying bug to be on a phone call and start having your wrist vibrate until you are done talking!

The firmware released today is supposed to address that issues, I've had it happen a couple of times before, but since updating today, so far so good.

As for the person who asked, I have one as well. It's very handy, especially when my phone is close by, but not on my person, I can see messages and incoming calls and get my phone if need be. Also helps for this times it's on vibrate in my pocket and I don't feel it, I always feel the Pebble.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Kickstarter version here.

Ditto...use it every day

----------

I'd be interested in getting one, but the iPhone integration relies on an Pebble App being running.

How often will iOS unload that app running in the background?

For most notifications you do not need to keep the Pebble app running (or even in the background). I very rarely open it.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
I have the Pebble app on all the time along with httpebble and both have never been booted off by iOS. I love my Pebble. BTW during the initial release of the product as hectic as it was I was able to e-mail my problem (lost extra long strap) and got a response within the week. I received my long strap 2 weeks later.

MNealBarrett

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
I am so frustrated at this point that I hope Apple releases a product that buries Pebble. Likely it will cost more, but it will come with order fulfillment/delivery and customer service that is way beyond anything that Pebble offers.

The Pebble will continue to be a niche product, with its own advantages, even if the 'iWatch' ends up appearing vastly better. I just can't see any possibility of a device with a color display having anywhere near the battery life of a device with an 'e-ink' display, for example, especially if the iWatch has a 100mAh battery as rumors are indicating. Also, try reading a color display -- ANY color display -- in bright sunlight; now imagine trying to read the 'iWatch' display with sunglasses. The Pebble display is very easy to read in sunlight, even with sunglasses. Might not seem like a big deal, but it is if you are riding a bike or something and don't want to have to take off your sunglasses just to see what time it is. Finally, the display of the Pebble is 'always on' while you will likely have to press a button or something to see the 'iWatch' display, like the Galaxy Gear. I don't see any way around this, color display use lots of battery. Again, that is a major inconvenience if you are doing something where reaching over to press a button on your watch is difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.