Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Sorry if I missed this, I did a search for "thumbs down" and couldn't find anything in the last year.

When did the forum change such that now there are only thumbs up buttons for individual posts? I like to "thumbs up" posts and do so much more often than "thumbs down"-ing them but sometimes I feel that a post needs a "thumbs down" like when someone is obviously trolling or causing trouble in the thread.

Any reasons why this was changed?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Sorry if I missed this, I did a search for "thumbs down" and couldn't find anything in the last year.
Thank god! :)

The MR atmosphere is much nicer without this button. No non-necessary fights with the up/down-vote button are gone.

I think the real advantage of the removal of the down vote button is, that now members are forced to write a well founded answer, if they disagree with a certain post/opinion. That's certainly better for an open discussion platform, like a forum.

This is when we report the post.
I've noticed a few threads in the past days, which begin with serious technical questions, and if i visit the same forum/threads a few hours later, the entire further discussion is off-topic. I think people have just too much time @ the moment (before the holidays).

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007

Thanks for pointing out the post. I guess my question now is whether the "down vote" being gone is still in an experimental phase or if that's a permanent fixture on macrumors. I've been coming here (mostly a viewer not a poster) most days of the week for 6 years and really enjoy the macrumors community so any feature change is important to me. Just curious.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Thanks for pointing out the post. I guess my question now is whether the "down vote" being gone is still in an experimental phase or if that's a permanent fixture on macrumors. I've been coming here (mostly a viewer not a poster) most days of the week for 6 years and really enjoy the macrumors community so any feature change is important to me. Just curious.

Only arn (or possibly Dr Q) can answer that question...but it does seem that it is a permanent change.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Mod note:

arn has made it clear that he's still experimenting, and since pretty much all viewpoints that can be expressed, have been expressed, in the other thread, the topic has been closed for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.