Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaredodgers21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
I was looking to upgrade my Macbook Pro 13" (Mid 2012) with SSD storage and replacing the optical drive with more storage. I read somewhere that it is best to place the SSD drive in the original HDD position and to move a HDD to the optical drive position. Will the stock Macbook Pro HDD fit in the optical drive bay when in the caddy? And is this the best set up for performance gains? I was going to use the SSD as a boot drive rather than extra storage because I heard its a lot quicker. All ideas and set ups are appreciated.

megamanbnmaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2008
Yes, you can buy OptiBay adapters that fit the stock macbook pro hard drive into the Optical Drive.

And yes, SSD as main boot drive is the whole point of having a dual SSD/HDD system. It boosts speed and applications that needs to be loaded into memory to execute as the lookup for those application requires less time. In addition, the kernel itself will be loaded faster from the disk to the RAM, thus having super fast boot time.

HomerThompson

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
I did the opposite on my late 2008 macbook: a new hdd in place of the original hdd and a samsung ssd in the opti-bay. The ssd doesn't need anti-shock protection while the hdd does. Besides, it depends upon the link speed of your sata channels, check that with your macbook model.

jaredodgers21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
So what size caddy will fit my Macbook Pro? Will a 12.7mm fit such as this onehttp://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/40952-satahddcaddy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.