Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Was looking to a super slim line case for my new phone without breaking the bank with retail stores over inflated prices. Last week found a seller on Kijiji selling brand new super slim cases for my phone for $6. She had about a hundred, my guess is that she bought it in bulk off ebay. Yesterday, she emailed me back and we set up a time for me to pick up. Her new price is now $10 per case but she said she would honour the $6 price she gave me if I picked up that day, so I did.

Case was in a wrapper, it was late at night and I figured, it was a good quality case just from what i could see through the clear wrapper, so i didnt bother opening it to try inside, waited til I got home. The case is really good! Nice feel, fit like a glove and very discreet looking. I love it, but the one I got was clearly defective as it had a couple parts along the corners and sides where it had really sharp material sticking out. Was clearly a manufacturing defect when the material was being cut and didnt like it cause it would dig into my hands and was quite sharp.

She said, these sell for $25 locally hence her price hike, not sure about that as its clearly not a premiere quality case, just your typical made in china budget cases off ebay. But quite good quality, material and fit for her price. I personally would say its worth $15 tops.

Intially, I was going to huck the case out. I figured, no point contacting the seller over a case. But the more I felt it, the more I liked it and wanted to keep it, but have one without the defects. Also, I noticed when inside buying, it was just a mom and daughter in her 30s living in an old house, and most likely no money. Because of this, I was second guessing if I should bother, cause its just a mom and daughter trying to make some extra money. But I figured why not, it wont hurt to at least ask.

So I contacted the seller last night asking if I could swap it out and she said sure. I thought, what a nice lady to let me. When I got there at set time this morning, she text me and flipped out going nuts on the exclamations saying how she will let me look at two more cases and if Im not happy, she will refund me and I can go pay $25 for one in the store, while rambling on about some other stuff. I could clearly see that she was very upset over this.

I looked at the two cases she brought out, found one that didnt have any manufacturing defects, while she was going on about how shes not making any money on them and to hurry up and pick one. And that shes sold tons of these and havent had any brought back. I have no doubt that shes sold a lot of these, for $10, its a helluva case. And that theres no such thing as a defective case, until I showed her mine. I got my new case, and I l left.

Was I wrong for contacting her wanting an exchange? I realize shes not a store and technically sales are final on Kijiji sales, but I figured it never hurts to at least ask. Just from last night, she seemed like such a nice lady, and didnt think she would be this upset over this. If I knew, I would have just thrown the defective case out and moved on. Really didnt mean to ruin someones day and get them all worked up over this.

Should I email her back saying sorry? What would you do?

Last edited:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Don't apologize. She is the one that is crazy. Be glad you were able to exchange it and move on and never deal with her again. Though at $6, I don't think it would have been worth the fight if she did put one up.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
For $6 I would only complain if it was a store. I probably couldn't be bothered with my time for less. However you didn't do anything wrong, accept not checking your original purchase carefully.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If it's something you didn't really care for, then take the loss since it was cheap. But since you stated you really liked the case, you had every right to ask for an exchange.

I've cut my losses many times. But when I really like a product, it sucks for it to have a defect. I'll return it regardless of cheap price. You did the right thing.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
You're not wrong. She's a nut. And if she's "not making any money from this" then why the hell is she in this business?? No one does anything if it doesn't make them money.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Appreciate that she was willing to exchange the case but just let it go, there's nothing to apologize for at this point

auhagen

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Denmark
Dont feel bad, and god no, dont apologize.

You did the right thing. You paid for something, and you got a defect, and wanted a new. Nothings wrong with that.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Hey Danish user, this isn't a correction, but there's a good chance she's in the market for a defective iPhone 6 or 6+ cover by now.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why does it matter to you now? You got the replacement case, leave her be and I'm sure she'll leave you be. No sense in dwelling on an outcome that was in your favor.

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
I wouldn't feel bad about that. She needs to recognize as a seller that she is bound to have some defects. At least she allowed you to return it. She could have just ignored you completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.