Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
The Developer

Hello, I'm the developer referenced earlier. My main plan was to use a more recent version of ffmpeg on Perian. However, I have yet to get that to work properly: I may just use the version supplied by Perian SVN.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
While the current version of Perian may work with QuickTime 7, it causes a "QTKitServer Not Responding" condition when using Safari and can be seen in Activity Monitor.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
AVI and other files worked through Quick Look for me all the way through to Mountain Lion. When Mavericks booted up for the first time for me, it gave a message listing Flip4Mac as incompatible software. It was the only item on that list.

(I think Flip4Mac is only for WMV files though? I don't know. All of this has been installed on my Mac for years, I'd forgotten they were still running or necessary up until this point.)

So Flip4Mac and Perian are still listed in my System Preferences, but I imagine they aren't doing anything any longer?

I use MPlayerX and VLC for actually opening video files and they don't need the other software, but I really miss being able to use Quick Look for everything and I guess I took it for granted. It is a shame.

In short: Somebody fix it!

Suspended
Sep 16, 2013
AVI and other files worked through Quick Look for me all the way through to Mountain Lion. When Mavericks booted up for the first time for me, it gave a message listing Flip4Mac as incompatible software. It was the only item on that list.

(I think Flip4Mac is only for WMV files though? I don't know. All of this has been installed on my Mac for years, I'd forgotten they were still running or necessary up until this point.)

So Flip4Mac and Perian are still listed in my System Preferences, but I imagine they aren't doing anything any longer?

I use MPlayerX and VLC for actually opening video files and they don't need the other software, but I really miss being able to use Quick Look for everything and I guess I took it for granted. It is a shame.

In short: Somebody fix it!
I fear it may be unfixable as they changed the way Preview/QuickLook loads previews. Its more AVFoundation and not quicktime anymore. It's like asking for apple to release iOS video plugin support. I think they just screwed us :mad:

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
I fear it may be unfixable as they changed the way Preview/QuickLook loads previews. Its more AVFoundation and not quicktime anymore. It's like asking for apple to release iOS video plugin support. I think they just screwed us :mad:
QuickLook can show images, text, or movies. This is not limited to OS X's supported codecs: you just need to know how to (via programming) to get it to the screen.
Flip4Mac will load AVI files in case the file is a mislabeled wmv file.
I, myself, am having no issue with Flip4Mac version 3. Perhaps you have an old version?

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Oh well. I always choose x264 or whichever when it's an option anyway. It's not a deal breaker, but I'd rather it work than not, obviously.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade Flip4Mac (which may or may not work in Mavericks?) or uninstall it completely. Looking at their website, I don't know for sure if I'll notice any repercussions. I'm thinking probably not, as VLC and MPlayerX will [probably] still play WMV files without it.

:lol: These things I needed when I switched from Windows four years ago.

bwat47

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
While the current version of Perian may work with QuickTime 7, it causes a "QTKitServer Not Responding" condition when using Safari and can be seen in Activity Monitor.

I've seen this in safari in mavericks, and I don't have perian installed.

saldin

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
I too miss being able to play .avi files in quick look. Would Flip4Mac work?
I have had a bad experience with the software in the past and would want to avoid trying it if at all possible.

I use Flip4Mac. They drop a lot of frames and the more files you Quick Look, the more frames they drop until you end up watching a slideshow instead of a video. Also, Quick Look support was broken after upgrading to Mavericks.

Takenlife

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Can anyone point a flac compatible plugin that supports for safari? I have some flac files that I would like to play directly from the browser instead of downloading it. There is this one site xiph dot org but it is very outdated and I contacted the developers to see if updates are coming for flac component. can somebody kind to help me out? Also I do not want to convert anything, just stream and play from browser safari on mavericks.

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Damn it!

I just upgraded to Mavericks not long ago and only came to realization of this shoddy execuation of supported formats now!

I really hope there's a Perian alternative! :(

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Sadly, it's not that Mavericks has shoddy support for formats: it's that it has moved to AVFoundation, and said framework only supports a handful of codecs, and does not use QuickTime to load third-party codecs.

To my knowledge, there is no way for AVFoundation to load third-party codecs, so you would have to convert the files to the needed format. Opening a file via Mavericks' QuickTime will convert it to said format.

Yes, this is not ideal, but this is the direction Apple is taking, for better or worse.

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Sadly, it's not that Mavericks has shoddy support for formats: it's that it has moved to AVFoundation, and said framework only supports a handful of codecs, and does not use QuickTime to load third-party codecs.

To my knowledge, there is no way for AVFoundation to load third-party codecs, so you would have to convert the files to the needed format. Opening a file via Mavericks' QuickTime will convert it to said format.

Yes, this is not ideal, but this is the direction Apple is taking, for better or worse.

Its for the worse, easily.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
They have deprecated QuickTime on OS X, and are deprecating QTKit in favor of AVFoundation.

If anything, post feedback on OS X's Feedback page.

You can play back media using QuickTime Player 7, but QuickTime Player X will now convert movies to h.264 when an unsupported media is opened by it.

And you can still play back media using VLC, MPlayer, etc… Some are even better at playing back Matroska videos, especially those with subtitles.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
So can anyone explain how this AVFoundation thing works that makes it impossible to create a plugin like perian?
How is it like asking apple to support iOS plugin support?
just for curiosity's sake...

Suspended
Sep 16, 2013
So can anyone explain how this AVFoundation thing works that makes it impossible to create a plugin like perian?
How is it like asking apple to support iOS plugin support?
just for curiosity's sake...

apple won't open it up to developers

ever wonder why you can't play .avi or .wmv on your iPhone video.app and why no one can install a plugin to make it work without using a different app all together. its because there are no specific documented hooks or ways for developers to extend the functionality. its not an open or documented application that can be built upon

avfoundation is what iOS uses to playback media. its a low-level power-efficent and secure way of doing decoding and having plugins or codecs would decrease security (3rd party) and would increase power usage (cpu decoding vs. hardware)

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
apple won't open it up to developers

ever wonder why you can't play .avi or .wmv on your iPhone video.app and why no one can install a plugin to make it work without using a different app all together. its because there are no specific documented hooks or ways for developers to extend the functionality. its not an open or documented application that can be built upon

avfoundation is what iOS uses to playback media. its a low-level power-efficent and secure way of doing decoding and having plugins or codecs would decrease security (3rd party) and would increase power usage (cpu decoding vs. hardware)

I see. thanks cohenmatt! So basically, though we can use QT7+perian, VLC or MplayerX to open those files, we can't make them viewable by the Finder because we can't tap into the Finder's core framework, whereas in previous versions, we could - because it was based on QTKit as opposed to AVFramework, correct?

Suspended
Sep 16, 2013
I see. thanks cohenmatt! So basically, though we can use QT7+perian, VLC or MplayerX to open those files, we can't make them viewable by the Finder because we can't tap into the Finder's core framework, whereas in previous versions, we could - because it was based on QTKit as opposed to AVFramework, correct?
you gots it. :)

Pitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Bummer

Just upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks after seeing all the positive feedback for it. Overall I'm finding it a good update, but I really miss having native Quick Look support. It's a bummer this appears to no longer be possible. Makes me wish a little bit that I were still on 10.6.8.

silverwhalle

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
seoul
even final cut pro x can't fix it?

i saw some posts on how to get quick look supported with various codec.
it says 'proapps quicktime codecs' requiring 'final cut pro x' fix it.
i've installed both final cut and codecs though, nothing has changed.
avi formatted video file still has no image, no quick look play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.