Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I hope on launch day they also revamp the GPU options and allow customers to opt for a single AMD 2XX series card... not everyone needs two or even a single FirePro card and not every application takes advantage of the GPU either. Doing this, would increase sales.... the baseline price tag is too high.

Baseline too high? Its a workstation. Its right on par with other workstations of simular hardware.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

Great catch! The first thing to hit me was the black background. What Apple Store has black velvet draped behind their tables? None!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hmm...I don't remember seeing black mouse pads the last time I was in an Apple store. I call fake.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Okay, it could be wishful thinking, or perhaps just how the Mac Pro's shape distorts objects in its reflection, but doesn't the reflection of the side of the Thunderbolt Display look remarkably thinner than the current model?

8C9453485-mac-pro.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It hindsight i think it would've been much better if they went with matte black rather than glossy. It really does look like a trendy waste basket in that picture.

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Curtain?

Where are you all getting the idea that that's a curtain behind it? There exists such a thing as black paint, y'know.

Wouldn't surprise me if Apple wanted to present their new Pro machine against a different coloured 'feature wall' in their store. It'd set it out distinctly from bright/light coloured consumer products. Simple colour psychology; black = serious.

Separately, there appear to be a couple of different monitors in these pics.

MaxinMusicCity

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Nashville
Mac Pro

Let's see now.

Wouldn't it be nice if this could become the start of a new line. It could range from the "Pro" all the way down to a "mini" for those of us who don't care for the iMac all-in-one design.

Naaah...That'll never happen :cool:

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Let's see now.

Wouldn't it be nice if this could become the start of a new line. It could range from the "Pro" all the way down to a "mini" for those of us who don't care for the iMac all-in-one design.

Naaah...That'll never happen :cool:

A 'new line' of Apple desktop computers? Keep dreaming. This is the last new desktop PC Apple will ever make. Sure, there will be updates to this and the iMac line for a few more years - but as for more new models? Forget it.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
According to the other thread just posted, it looks like if you were to max it out with the highest end stuff, it's $10000. That's crazy.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
So it has come to this. Fake rumors about the release of a product that's being released literally any day now.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
This is all part of MacRumors' "let's-post-anything-to-get-more-views" campaign which has been going strong the past few months. Way to go! :confused:

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
According to the other thread just posted, it looks like if you were to max it out with the highest end stuff, it's $10000. That's crazy.
which is pretty much exactly the same thing you'd have paid for a 12 core with the best video card and 512gb SSD one year ago.
I know because we bought 5 maxed out Mac Pro's last January, and with the "corporate pricing" and an out of state HQ we paid about $9700.
If you aren't privy to corporate pricing and live in CA YMMV.

Of course an HP or Dell workstation like the Z820 can easily get up in that range.

Michael Maland

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2013

Why is that "crazy"? It's cheap compared to the first 80486 computers:

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/22/business/the-executive-computer-the-race-to-market-a-486-machine.html

Around the same time a cuts only video editing system was the same $10k. No effects, no graphics.

The people that need a Mac Pro will buy a Mac Pro, and the people that want to mess with a Windows 7/8 workstation will do that. And everybody else will wait for things to render. In many situations, a new Mac Pro will pay for itself quickly and/or open new markets (4k production).

Plus, the software guys always can up with something that will take the newest hardware and bring it to a halt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.