Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melany123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
I was living at a house and they had an entire popcorn ceiling (containing asbestos) removed improperly. At the time i didnt know the dangers of Asbestos.

The dust spread everywhere and traveled upstairs where I resided mostly.

Everything was covered in white powder (including the cat) from the residual popcorn ceiling (paint, asbestos ect) and the house stayed in this condition for the 6 months that I lived there. I never cleaned it up and no one else did either as i stayed in a room upstairs and the dust lay everywhere in the hallways.

There was little circulation except when I would open the window.

I am now obsessively worrying day and night that my health could be in danger.

Any words of wisdom??

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Not to get you alarmed but you should get a lawyer and file a lawsuit against the contractor who did the work. There are protocols that have to be taken when removing asbestos.

Did they know there was asbestos when the work began?

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
Not to get you alarmed but you should get a lawyer and file a lawsuit against the contractor who did the work. There are protocols that have to be taken when removing asbestos.

Did they know there was asbestos when the work began?

I don't think the judge would be too keen on the fact that the dust laid there for 6 months and no one even touched it.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't think the judge would be too keen on the fact that the dust laid there for 6 months and no one even touched it.
The the fact that there was dust in the first place is enough.

The question is did everyone know there was asbestos when the work began and were there any precautions taken.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Shouldn't have been much of any dust, since the easiest way to remove those ceilings is to spray them down with water and scrape off sheets of the popcorn.

Now a DIY person that doesn't even test for asbestos, or doesn't even look for the redneck method for popcorn ceiling removal -- will cause tons of dust.

These days, with the great use of plastic sheeting by contractors, dropping down plastic over doors, windows, and air returns is almost a must do for anyone $1 over the minimum bid by the redneck who will work for beer.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
do a little reading and research, here's some info from the National Cancer Institute

Everyone is exposed to asbestos at some time during their life. Low levels of asbestos are present in the air, water, and soil. However, most people do not become ill from their exposure. People who become ill from asbestos are usually those who are exposed to it on a regular basis, most often in a job where they work directly with the material or through substantial environmental contact.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Don't there have to be damages before you can proceed with a legal case?

I would've thought you'd need to first show that the improper removal lead to a specific problem?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

I would've thought you'd need to first show that the improper removal lead to a specific problem?
Asbestos symptoms sometimes take decades to show themselves. They have to get a special permit to remove it too so just find the permit or lack there of and you have proof.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

well yes, it's going to be hard to get a settlement for damaged health unless the person's health actually has been damaged

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
well yes, it's going to be hard to get a settlement for damaged health unless the person's health actually has been damaged
The most that will happen is the revoking of a contractors license or a suit against the landlord by the city.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Whether the story is true or not, what is kind of pathetic is not the story, but that the bulk of the responses involved lawyers and law suits...not the first thing being to go to a doc for evaluation of lung function, and evaluation of any damage to the lungs.

It seems the first response to almost anything is to suggest legal action...

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Whether the story is true or not, what is kind of pathetic is not the story, but that the bulk of the responses involved lawyers and law suits...not the first thing being to go to a doc for evaluation of lung function, and evaluation of any damage to the lungs.

"...Give me your tired, your poor,
Your litigious masses yearning to breathe free..."

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

If you were exposed to asbestos for 6 months and breathed it in and did nothing about it what could a Doctor do at that point.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
If you were exposed to asbestos for 6 months and breathed it in and did nothing about it what could a Doctor do at that point.

Evaluate what effects, if any, the exposure caused.

Initiate treatment, if available, if there are indications of negative effects secondary to the exposure...whether the treatment is curative or palliative.

Are you suggesting that one who might have had exposure to asbestos do nothing regarding possible health effects?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

Initiate treatment, if available, if there are indications of negative effects secondary to the exposure...whether the treatment is curative or palliative.

Are you suggesting that one who might have had exposure to asbestos do nothing regarding possible health effects?
What treatment is there for 6 months of unknown exposure. Don't most of the effects not even show up until years later? What would a doctor be able to see. As far as I know there is no cure for long term asbestos exposure.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
What treatment is there for 6 months of unknown exposure. Don't most of the effects not even show up until years later? What would a doctor be able to see. As far as I know there is no cure for long term asbestos exposure.

Pulmonology is not my specialty, and my knowledge of asbestosis is also nonexistent. Since you seem up to date on the availability of treatment I will not question your assertion. I don't know what kind of treatments might be available...if not curative, possibly treatment to limit further damage, or palliative treatment might be available.

However...at worst, an evaluation to establish baseline conditions might be useful.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

It's the American way! Sue or shoot! :D

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Pulmonology is not my specialty, and my knowledge of asbestosis is also nonexistent. Since you seem up to date on the availability of treatment I will not question your assertion. I don't know what kind of treatments might be available...if not curative, possibly treatment to limit further damage, or palliative treatment might be available.

However...at worst, an evaluation to establish baseline conditions might be useful.

As a person with Asbestosis I can tell you it takes a long time for asbestos disease to show up in any radiology film and it is usually around 20-30 years before the disease manifests itself.

Doing a baseline breath test and X-Rays is a good idea though.

As far as treatment the only thing available is palliative care.

There is no "treatment" to stop any damage other than not being around it.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
As a person with Asbestosis I can tell you it takes a long time for asbestos disease to show up in any radiology film and it is usually around 20-30 years before the disease manifests itself.

Doing a baseline breath test and X-Rays is a good idea though.

As far as treatment the only thing available is palliative care.

There is no "treatment" to stop any damage other than not being around it.
How long were you exposed to it, was it short term for years at a time or all at once?

As for the OP I think the story is bunk, who doesn't know what asbestos is or is allowed to breath it in while it is sitting on a table for 6 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.