Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Video game developer Square-Enix has released Tomb Raider I on iOS, bringing the popular 1996 action-adventure game to mobile devices for the first time. The latest adaptation of the title features touch-optimized controls with all of the levels from the original, along with gameplay that mixes gunfights and puzzle-solving adventure elements. Tomb Raider I on iOS also supports game controllers such as the MOGA Ace Power and the Logitech PowerShell.

tombraider1.jpeg
Adventurer Lara Croft has been hired to recover the pieces of an ancient artefact known as the Scion. With her fearless acrobatic style she runs, jumps, swims and climbs her way towards the truth of its origin and powers - leaving only a trail of empty tombs and gun-cartridges in her wake. On this trail are breath-taking 3D worlds where exploration, puzzle and platform elements blend in a seamless real-time environment. A perfect chance for newcomers and diehards alike to jump back into the series' seminal single-player action.
tombraider2.jpeg
Tomb Raider I is a $0.99 download for the iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Square-Enix Releases Original Tomb Raider for iOS Devices

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
I thank them for coming out with this. It's thoughtful. But it's 2014 almost.

Last edited:

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Video game developer Square-Enix has released Tomb Raider I on iOS, bringing the popular 1996 action-adventure game to mobile devices for the first time.The latest adaptation of the title features touch-optimized controls with all of the levels from the original, along with gameplay that mixes gunfights and puzzle-solving adventure elements.

I realise you are referring to other adaptions of the title on other platforms; but if it is the first to this platform, does it need to be referred to as "latest" as there are no other adaptions for mobile to confuse it with?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
A genuine classic, one of the few games to keep me hooked till the end on the Playstation - I remember being in awe of it the first time I played it and saw the expansive areas to explore. A nostalgic download for the holidays for me!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
My favourite game of all time (with San Andreas being a close second) both on iOS within the same week.

Christmas came early! It works superbly with my controller too. People whinge about the stiff controls - but that's the challenge of it. Their not fluid, and they're not meant to be. It's about lining things up & then going for it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm sorry but, what loser wants to see that polygon unclothed?

I'm just a bit surprised at how bad this game looked is all. It's from the same generation as Zelda: OoT (albeit, OoT wasn't released until 2 years after this, but still, it was running on hardware of comparable age) and it just looks so much worse.

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
This is amazing. It includes the 2 extra levels I've never played! 69p!

Cheers MacRumors for reporting this stuff. I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Interview with the dude that did the music if you haven't read it: http://platform-online.net/2013/11/interview-with-nathan-mccree/

Finally, while it downloads, what games am I missing?

Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 177

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Why does Sonic 2 cost more? :(
I will buy this game only so I can drown Lara over and over again... otherwise I'm terrible at playing it.

DMaki650

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Rhinelander, WI
I'm excited about this!! The textures have been slightly upgraded. It also includes Lara's House!! The controls for movement feel like a tank x10 but it's still fun to play! I remember playing with way back in the day on a PC with a Voodoo graphics card! Ahhh Good times, good times!

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2005
Is Nathan McCree's music in the app?
A shame if it's not.

Funnilly enough, he did an interview for a site a few weeks ago about his work on this game and the sequels:

Interview Link.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Wow, 99 cents from a major publisher? I am a little surprised it didn't start at $4.99+.

I am buying it simply because it is 99 cents and is a great "why not?" price point. As much as I enjoyed this game in my younger years, any more and I would have passed. :cool:

I'm not necessarily cheap (I had no problem paying the $200 for Logic Pro, for example. Or all of the Apple iLife Apps before they became free :p), but sometimes this kind of price point will lead to a lot of spontaneous purchases. I like that and want to encourage it.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
So, what do people think is the best controller to use to play a game like this one?

I'm a Tomb Raider fan of old, and I'm looking forward to some nostalgic game play...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.