Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung has hired Tim Gudgel, a senior Apple Retail Store designer and five-year veteran of the company, reports The Information. Gudgel, who has worked for Apple since March of 2008 according to his LinkedIn page, previously worked for Novartis, and as an architect at Gehry Partners. Earlier this year, Samsung hired another former Apple Retail executive who had previously been hired away by Microsoft for its retail efforts.

Earlier this year, Samsung and Best Buy announced that the electronics maker would open 1,400 store-within-a-store concepts at Best Buy locations across the country. Apple has a number of similar dedicated "Apple Shops" inside Best Buy locations.

The Information suggests that the hire is part of a continued retail push by Samsung. The New York Times looked at the efforts of technology companies like Samsung, Microsoft and Google as they attempt to build up their own retail efforts.

upperwestside.png
Forget the floating Google showrooms. When it comes to retail, Samsung Electronics is contemplating a bigger plunge.

The South Korean company's U.S. telecom unit recently hired a senior Apple store designer, Tim Gudgel, as it ponders a deeper investment in U.S. retail, according to two people close to the company. Mr. Gudgel specializes in store design and planning.
Gudgel is mentioned in a patent application as one of the inventors of the glass design of the Upper West Side Apple Store in New York City.

For comparison, Apple has more than 400 retail stores worldwide, with more than 250 located inside the United States. Microsoft currently operates 81 stores, including 31 temporary locations, though the company has not found significant success with its retail efforts.

Samsung's hardware products are significantly more popular than the Windows-based devices that Microsoft sells at its stores, and the company could see more foot traffic and sales as a result. Currently, the vast majority of Samsung's U.S. smartphone sales occur at the thousands of cellular carrier stores across the U.S.

Article Link: Samsung Hires Apple Retail Store Designer in Retail Push

Last edited:

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
The comments on this are going to be full of complaints, crying about copycats and other beaten to death rhetoric.

That said, its going to be a FUN thread to read:

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o_large.gif

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Go for it, Sammy.

This is great news for Apple: if Sammy fails, Apple stores will look/feel even better; if Sammy succeeds, Apples stores will be pushed to look/feel even better.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Microsoft currently operates 81 stores, including 31 temporary locations, though the company has not found significant success with its retail efforts.

This is what makes me think that Samsung's stores will flop.

Samsung's hardware products are significantly more popular than the Windows-based devices that Microsoft sells at its stores, and the company could see more foot traffic and sales as a result. Currently, the vast majority of Samsung's U.S. smartphone sales occur at the thousands of cellular carrier stores across the U.S.

Are Samsung's products really more popular than Microsoft's? Microsoft continues to dominate the PC market while Samsung is tied with Apple in the mobile market. And despite that, Microsoft's retail efforts flopped. Why? Because people looking to buy Microsoft's products go to existing places like BestBuy to buy them. Similarly, I think that people looking to buy Samsung's products will go to existing places, like BestBuy, RadioShack, and cellular stores, to buy them.

Only time will tell, but my prediction is that Samsung's stores will be a flop much like Microsoft's stores have.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
This is funny.

Apple has the most beautiful stores in the world that are tourist destinations in their own right with their stunning and unmatched design. Apple's products are the most finished and luxurious on the market including the plastic 5C. Apple create not just a shop but an experience.

Samsung.... Will be a few screens about cheap deals on a bunch of outdated crud that runs three versions of Android and can no longer be updated. They will grab the money and not care about the user. The customer service will be a jiffy bag sent out of store and it will be a grimy cramped cheap place only distiguishable from a regular phone section in a store by the 20 neon Samsung signs.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
For a long while I ignored all the "Samsung is copying Apple" comments... Heck Nintendo did the same thing for years and nobody complained (look at the candy colored N64, they were the exact same as the iMacs at that time; White Wii, ETC)... but it's becoming a bit blatant now. I'm all for healthy competition but Samsung seems to be a company that for one, throws the whole deck of cards at the hat and hope that one lands in it and on top of that feels the need to "borrow" strategies from their main competitor... repeatedly.

As much crap as I give Sony, at least they don't blatantly just take ideas from the the other companies. They seem to have a strategy (albeit more fails than successes) but they don't come off as desperate as Samsung does...

I've only owned 1 Samsung product in my life... a CRT 720p HDTV I bought in 2004... it was ok... OS was a little slow, but it was a decent TV otherwise...

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
The comments on this are going to be full of complaints, crying about copycats and other beaten to death rhetoric.

That said, its going to be a FUN thread to read:

See here's the thing... I have no problem with Samsung, Microsoft etc choosing to follow Apple's lead (or anyone else's for that matter) if that's what they want to do. So long as it's not a blatant rip off of prior work then that's fine. It's just so bloody frustrating when you consider what they *could* be doing if they dared to take a risk every now and then.

Look at Microsoft's stores - they're such shameless imitations that it verges on the comical yet none of the design or ethos really seems to fit with their consumer branding. The wood tables, f'instance, don't really match up with anything they build and end up looking like a not-so-cheap knock-off. Why not go with... oh I don't know, let's say something like this: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/561668627/led_cube_table_led_bar_table_illuminated.jpg I mean, not quite that tacky obviously but something that fits in with both the Windows logo (which, let us not forget, adorns the store front these days) and the Xbox neon green theme.

And that's what I fear with this. Samsung expanding their retail presence is probably a good thing for the consumer depending on the level of effort they put in. If these stores-within-stores get the usual level of push from Samsung you may find them seriously hurting other Windows and Android sales from those stores that have them which wouldn't be good news for customer choice. But I just hope they whatever they do they take Tim Gudgel's experience (and that of any others they employ for this project) and build something new and unique to Samsung rather than another Apple store copy.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Copy it all Samsung....

Oh how I despise Samsung and everything they stand for. Every industry they enter they do so by copying the leader / innovator ... not just phones and tablets, TV's, Washers, Dryers, Fridges etc etc ...

Samsung just got through totally ripping off the Dyson Vacuum, patents or not they don't care. Dyson is suing but unfortunately doesn't have the same deep pockets Apple has for the Lawyers ... hope he wins regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.