Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Samsung, no matter HOW hard you try, you'll always just be a pale imitation of the real thing.

----------

You sir, win the internet for today!

Thinking about it thiscant be Samsung atore.. The lights would be like ultra violet and there would be Samsung logos inside on every wall incase you forgot what plastic phone you were buying.

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
See here's the thing... I have no problem with Samsung, Microsoft etc choosing to follow Apple's lead (or anyone else's for that matter) if that's what they want to do. So long as it's not a blatant rip off of prior work then that's fine. It's just so bloody frustrating when you consider what they *could* be doing if they dared to take a risk every now and then.

Look at Microsoft's stores - they're such shameless imitations that it verges on the comical yet none of the design or ethos really seems to fit with their consumer branding. The wood tables, f'instance, don't really match up with anything they build and end up looking like a not-so-cheap knock-off. Why not go with... oh I don't know, let's say something like this: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/561668627/led_cube_table_led_bar_table_illuminated.jpg I mean, not quite that tacky obviously but something that fits in with both the Windows logo (which, let us not forget, adorns the store front these days) and the Xbox neon green theme.

And that's what I fear with this. Samsung expanding their retail presence is probably a good thing for the consumer depending on the level of effort they put in. If these stores-within-stores get the usual level of push from Samsung you may find them seriously hurting other Windows and Android sales from those stores that have them which wouldn't be good news for customer choice. But I just hope they whatever they do they take Tim Gudgel's experience (and that of any others they employ for this project) and build something new and unique to Samsung rather than another Apple store copy.

Why do you care though?

What benefit do you get by showing any kind of allegiance to a COMPANY? Do you think Apple, Samsung or any other brand has any kind loyalty that its customers exhibit? They don't care about you AT ALL.

Whatever happens to these corporations from competing will in the end be to the benefit of the consumer.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Why do you care though?

What benefit do you get by showing any kind of allegiance to a COMPANY? Do you think Apple, Samsung or any other brand has any kind loyalty that its customers exhibit? They don't care about you AT ALL.

Whatever happens to these corporations from competing will in the end be to the benefit of the consumer.

No actually they do care, they care if you spend money on company "X" as opposed to company "B". They want your money and they care that you spend your money on their product. So yes they do care a little.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
This is what makes me think that Samsung's stores will flop.

Only time will tell, but my prediction is that Samsung's stores will be a flop much like Microsoft's stores have.
I think Microsoft's stores fail, because no one wants to go in a store to buy a retail software disc (Yes I know they have more, but perception is key here). No gamer is going to get excited to buy an Xbox from the MS store, and they simply don't have a product that sells accessories very well. Samsung has less of a problem here because their phones are pretty popular and they have an accessory market because of them. That said, the lack of a product focus will probably hurt Samsung here unless their stores are focused on their laptops, phones, and displays. (Samsung makes washer machines and all sorts of things that won't work here). Even then though, they don't have as iconic and diverse a line as Apple. So I see a flop as well. Could be wrong though.

The comments on this are going to be full of complaints, crying about copycats and other beaten to death rhetoric.

That said, its going to be a FUN thread to read:

To be fair, you've got to admit this is pretty funny. The company that gets accused of copying Apple all the time, hires Apple's retail store designer in an effort to push retail stores.....I mean, it's pretty funny.

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
No actually they do care, they care if you spend money on company "X" as opposed to company "B". They want your money and they care that you spend your money on their product. So yes they do care a little.

Well duh, they care about your wallet. But they couldnt give any less of a crap about your personal feelings or 'fanboyism'.

This whole pro-apple, pro-samsung, anti this and that whining has gotten to such a level that its rendered much of the general public completely stupid.

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
To be fair, you've got to admit this is pretty funny. The company that gets accused of copying Apple all the time, hires Apple's retail store designer in an effort to push retail stores.....I mean, it's pretty funny.

Yeah, its the kind of thing you'd expect to see about celebrity feuds on PerezHilton.com

Personally, I prefer reading about improved products than this dramatic crap and all the consumer moaning that goes with it.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Well duh, they care about your wallet. But they couldnt give any less of a crap about your personal feelings or 'fanboyism'.

This whole pro-apple, pro-samsung, anti this and that whining has gotten to such a level that its rendered much of the general public completely stupid.

No, companies want your loyalty because it assures that you'll buy more product. You can look at that and say all they care about is your wallet, or you can look at that and say they care deeply about how much you love their product. I think both Samsung and Apple want you to love their product enough that, when you're considering a new device, you pick them.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
This is what makes me think that Samsung's stores will flop.

Are Samsung's products really more popular than Microsoft's? Microsoft continues to dominate the PC market while Samsung is tied with Apple in the mobile market. And despite that, Microsoft's retail efforts flopped. Why? Because people looking to buy Microsoft's products go to existing places like BestBuy to buy them. Similarly, I think that people looking to buy Samsung's products will go to existing places, like BestBuy, RadioShack, and cellular stores, to buy them.

Only time will tell, but my prediction is that Samsung's stores will be a flop much like Microsoft's stores have.

I quite agree. In my area, the Apple store is always busy, but it's also the only place to buy Apple products in a 20-some mile radius. The Microsoft store didn't do as well, but they have competition: Best Buy, Staples, Office Max (rip), heck, even Barnes and Noble is their competition!

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
No, companies want your loyalty because it assures that you'll buy more product. You can look at that and say all they care about is your wallet, or you can look at that and say they care deeply about how much you love their product. I think both Samsung and Apple want you to love their product enough that, when you're considering a new device, you pick them.

You fail to realize though that they're attempts at making you feel all warm and cuddly about them is nothing more than an attempt to keep sucking as much cash out of your pocket. There are *zero* feelings in this market or any other. Its all business. If there were feelings involved, you wouldnt see a 4 year wait for the Mac Pro to get updated only to have such CRAP options on it, which costs significantly more than the previous gen for a marginal boost in speed.

Youre being blinded by corporate fluff. Get away from it, some cynicism will do you good.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
You fail to realize though that they're attempts at making you feel all warm and cuddly about them is nothing more than an attempt to keep sucking as much cash out of your pocket. There are *zero* feelings in this market or any other. Its all business. If there were feelings involved, you wouldnt see a 4 year wait for the Mac Pro to get updated only to have such CRAP options on it, which costs significantly more than the previous gen for a marginal boost in speed.

Youre being blinded by corporate fluff. Get away from it, some cynicism will do you good.

I'm not as cynical as you. I think some companies genuinely want to make good product. I think Apple is one of those companies. Even if I was to believe that Apple execs are heartless, some inventor in Apple's basement probably is quite proud of his work on the iPhone and hopes everyone loves it.

And I can't afford a new Mac Pro, but I REALLY want one (And I have absolutely no NEED for it. I just want it.). So that was probably a bad example for you to use.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
Samsung hires someone to bring focused attention to their retail presence. Someone with proven retail presentation experience. Putting their latest and greatest in one spot for all to see. Not a bad idea.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Samsung hires someone to bring focused attention to their retail presence. Someone with proven retail presentation experience. Putting their latest and greatest in one spot for all to see. Not a bad idea.

And just so happens to have worked for Apple designing their retail space.

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
I'm not as cynical as you. I think some companies genuinely want to make good product. I think Apple is one of those companies. Even if I was to believe that Apple execs are heartless, some inventor in Apple's basement probably is quite proud of his work on the iPhone and hopes everyone loves it.

And I can't afford a new Mac Pro, but I REALLY want one (And I have absolutely no NEED for it. I just want it.). So that was probably a bad example for you to use.

You're free to believe whatever you like, but please know that its a business and profits mean far more than anything else. Want another shining example? Just go look at pharmaceuticals. Have any of them cured ANYTHING?

And my Mac Pro reference you don't understand because you're not a prosumer. Simply wanting it versus actually needing are very different. You'd understand the context better if you were, say, a developer or sound engineer.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Are Samsung's products really more popular than Microsoft's? Microsoft continues to dominate the PC market while Samsung is tied with Apple in the mobile market.

Microsoft makes something you RUN on PCs. The PCs themselves have different brands. There isn't the same logic of "hey, let's go to the place that only sells Apple computers, no Toshiba or HP"

Samsung has a broader product range, if they want to sell them. Not just tablets and phones, but TVs, cameras and appliances.

Still their brand isn't nearly as strong as Apple's. I have two Samsung TVs, but that doesn't necessarily mean my next one will be and I certainly won't go to a shop that sells nothing else. My next computer, tablet and phone will definitely be Apple and I won't even be looking at other brands.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Traitor! <sarcasm>

Why would that be sarcasm? This is probably what disturbs me most. I wonder how much Samscum is paying this guy to lure him away like this. Buying his loyalty. It's disgusting. But then was it so different when Apple hired him. Maybe he was a loyal Blackberry or Microsoft user before. One must wonder...

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Yeah, its the kind of thing you'd expect to see about celebrity feuds on PerezHilton.com

Personally, I prefer reading about improved products than this dramatic crap and all the consumer moaning that goes with it.

No one - but no one - is forcing you into this thread. Neither as a reader, nor as a repeat contributor.

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Lawsuit

On what grounds?

Every Apple employee has a very lengthy contract clause they must sign to be an employee & executives at Cupertino have an even stricter one about "disclosure of company secret intellectual property" & a "do not compete clause"…

THAT'S what Apple will be suing this person about.

Develop your OWN brand Samdung.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.