Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Continuing our series of roundups summarizing the latest news and rumors about each of Apple's products, today we are publishing five new roundups covering the company's iPod and AirPort lineups. The new roundups include iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod classic, and AirPort.

Apple's iPod lineup has not seen much in the way of updates recently, with a September refresh seeing only a slight change to color offerings for the iPod touch, iPod nano, and iPod shuffle with the previous slate color option being replaced with a new space gray option carried over from iPhone 5s. The new color later made its way to the iPad Air and iPad mini as well. Given that Apple typically updates its iPods in the fall each year, new iPods are not expected until late next year.

ipods_airport.jpg
The AirPort line of Wi-Fi base stations is currently divided, with the larger AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule models having been updated in June with new designs and support for the latest 802.11ac networking standard. The AirPort Express has not been updated to support 802.11ac and was last updated in June 2012 when it received an Apple TV-like redesign.

As with our previous roundups, the goal of our iPod and AirPort roundups is to simply answer the question of "What are you expecting" for Apple's future products at any given time. That opinion evolves over time as new rumors surface, and our roundups will be updated regularly to reflect the latest rumors.

All of our roundups remain accessible through a dedicated index page showing a time-ordered list based on the last date each roundup was updated, as well as directly through the "Roundups" tab in the navigation bar on all MacRumors pages.

Article Link: iPod and AirPort Roundups: What's Next for Apple

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
that time capsule is still such a weird design choice to me it looks almost like one of those "iPhone 10" memes of an apple tv or airport express ^^

zwnu54.jpg

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Less iPod, more Mac updates! Updated Mac Mini please! Give me a reason to buy a new one...would like a significantly faster model than my 2010, so I can roll down the 2010 Mini to the parents.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
anyone use the airport extreme? how is it going through walls in a dense urban environment with 3 dozen wifi routers in the area during peak hours?

looking to update my ancient router

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'd like them to update the iPod line, eliminate the Classic but add a 256Gb touch for those who need massive storage to take music and movies on the go.

What about the Apple TV?

FlyersPh9

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
anyone use the airport extreme? how is it going through walls in a dense urban environment with 3 dozen wifi routers in the area during peak hours?

looking to update my ancient router
I bought the Airport Extreme AC router right when it first came out. I live in downtown Philadelphia, 2nd & 3rd floor of a row home surrounded by brick. My entire apartment has perfect WiFi, no dead zones at all. I also get connection near the outside of my house. Sadly, I can not connect at my favorite bar which is directly across the street from my house.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Slow News Day for MacRumors:

1. Let's talk about some patents
2. Let's talk about Google
3. Let's talk about Samsung
4. Oh what the heck: let's talk about iPods and Airport devices....:confused::confused::confused:

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
I really wanted an iPod for my 8-year-old son, so he could listen to music, play audiobooks and for the odd game when we are out. We already share an iPad, so he doesn't really need another gaming device. I just wanted something cheaper for him to use when I am on the iPad.

In the end it just seemed too much money for such old technology and I did the previously unthinkable (to me) and bought a Nexus 7. Cheaper, bigger, louder, way faster and such a nice screen, all for only $200. The OS is kind of ugly, but you can't have it all.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
that time capsule is still such a weird design choice to me it looks almost like one of those "iPhone 10" memes of an apple tv or airport express ^^

zwnu54.jpg

Wow that's a lazy photoshop. At least get some different icons... :rolleyes:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Far out...

anyone got a step ladder?

For me, i think the next big thing for Apple, is every one of their products breaks more...... Mavericks is no exception, so while their software be better than others out there, we're starting to see 'cracks''

So, more products = yes.... but don't expect it to be all perfect, because it won't...

You can see the lay-offs and the change, by the bagginess of the software by far....

I defiantly do. If you can't, then open your eyes.. The iWatch will make it, but it will not charge probably, more issues, since the iWatch will not maintain a constant connection to the phone...

oh ya... did i mention display issues ? That's the important thing right there...

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
iPod classic with 256GB SSD for serious music lover like me please! I don't want get distracted from emails, messages etc. I just want a pure awesome music player.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
The classic hasnt been refresh for years, and the ipod doesnt need the latest Ax chip to run faster. The ipod has hit a plateau, it's time to add a new product using the ipod OS... (Iwatch ? )

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Far out...

anyone got a step ladder?

For me, i think the next big thing for Apple, is every one of their products breaks more...... Mavericks is no exception, so while their software be better than others out there, we're starting to see 'cracks''

So, more products = yes.... but don't expect it to be all perfect, because it won't...

You can see the lay-offs and the change, by the bagginess of the software by far....

I defiantly do. If you can't, then open your eyes.. The iWatch will make it, but it will not charge probably, more issues, since the iWatch will not maintain a constant connection to the phone...

oh ya... did i mention display issues ? That's the important thing right there...

What are you talking about?

Are you forgetting all the problems that occurred even when Steve Jobs was CEO?

It took them forever just to release a white iPhone! Screen problems are not new. iOS 7 was a complete rewrite. Mavericks has substantial behind-the-scenes improvements that required a lot of rewriting as well. If you now a company that does better do tell. Having problems and hiccups is part of any business. Either join the Android blogs or get a reality check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.