Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mailbox.png
Mailbox
was today updated to version 1.7, adding support for additional email services like Yahoo, iCloud, me.com, and mac.com. Previously, the Mailbox app only supported Gmail.
Today we're thrilled to announce we've added Mailbox support for Yahoo, iCloud, me.com, and mac.com email accounts. This is a big step for us -- we get more requests for Yahoo and iCloud support than for any other feature.

Mailbox remains 100% free, and adding a Yahoo or iCloud email account is just as easy as adding a Gmail account.
Email management app Mailbox was originally introduced in February of 2013 by Orchestra, the developers behind the Orchestra to-do app. Mailbox debuted with novel features like simple touch gestures for email organization and "Snooze" functionality, allowing users to put emails out of sight until a later date.

Mailbox was later purchased by Dropbox in March, and additional functionality like iPad support and Cloud Search was added.

Along with support for iCloud and Yahoo email accounts, today's update also adds background syncing and new app options.
What's New in Version 1.7.0
- Support for iCloud and Yahoo email accounts
- Background syncing
- Option to disable "help me get to zero" banner
- Option to disable swipe to open drawer
- Bug fixes and UX improvements
Mailbox is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Mailbox Adds Support for Yahoo, iCloud and More

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
While I admired the idea behind this app, I really don't feel like it's a particular boon to productivity to empty my Gmail inbox.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
This is totally selfish of me, but I wish they had prioritized the release of a Mac client. I can't wait to have the service on all my devices.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
While I admired the idea behind this app, I really don't feel like it's a particular boon to productivity to empty my Gmail inbox.

Really? This app has actually made me way more organized and productive. I now deal with EVERY email I receive instead of leaving them and forgetting about them.

Glad to see the app grow. Excited for a Mac client.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Really? This app has actually made me way more organized and productive. I now deal with EVERY email I receive instead of leaving them and forgetting about them.

Glad to see the app grow. Excited for a Mac client.
Is reading or scanning through an email quickly and just leaving it in the inbox somehow different than dealing with the email--different as in it results in actual increase in productivity or actually improves life in some way? Just curious.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008

Your not emptying your Gmail box. All your email is stil there, just moved to All Mail. Your INBOX is stuff you need to take care of.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i never got this to work on my Gmail. Always tells me to disable something in my google settings but i cannot find it

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

There are plenty of ways to organise your e-mail. Keeping your inbox empty is just one of them. Mailbox helps with that, but if it doesn't suit your own workflow, then that app is just not meant for you. :)

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012

I've crawled back to it after getting tired of the lag associated with Google's GMail app. Why the heck do they have to bring Android lag to iOS?

If it supported labels I'd like it more. I agree that its motto of "experience a clean inbox" (or at least that is what it was initially) is misguided. The goal seems to be to archive or delete as quickly as possible. The bring up later with a timer is kind of nice, however, that doesn't help me come tax season when I'm looking for all my HSA receipts in my email inbox. That is when I need labels.

I do love Mailbox's snappy interface and Dropbox integration.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
If it supported labels I'd like it more. I agree that its motto of "experience a clean inbox" (or at least that is what it was initially) is misguided. The goal seems to be to archive or delete as quickly as possible. The bring up later with a timer is kind of nice, however, that doesn't help me come tax season when I'm looking for all my HSA receipts in my email inbox. That is when I need labels.

1) It does support labels. They are called lists. However, they must be created through the Mailbox app.
2) An alternate solution for your HSA issue is to simply snooze the related email receipts until the day you anticipate working with them.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Mailbox remains 100% free, and adding a Yahoo or iCloud email account is just as easy as adding a Gmail account.
Frankly, 100% free part scares me. I am guessing Mailbox will eventually use the same storage as Dropbox, and thus help Dropbox sell higher capacity plans.

But do I (1) trust Dropbox with email data (I don't particularly trust Apple, Google, and Yahoo! either, but adding another party to the mix can't be an improvement), (2) eventually faced with a dilemma of paying for larger storage plan when many email services offer practically unlimited storage in exchange for ads??

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Frankly, 100% free part scares me. I am guessing Mailbox will eventually use the same storage as Dropbox, and thus help Dropbox sell higher capacity plans.

But do I (1) trust Dropbox with email data (I don't particularly trust Apple, Google, and Yahoo! either, but adding another party to the mix can't be an improvement), (2) eventually faced with a dilemma of paying for larger storage plan when many email services offer practically unlimited storage in exchange for ads??

I don't think that, currently, Mailbox consumes any of your Dropbox account space usage at all. Linking to your Dropbox account is also completely optional and I believe is only used for things like attachments.

Mailbox is setup in such a way to funnel all your email through their server (at least for GMail) and this is how they have been able to provide PUSH notifications for GMail users (unlike Sparrow, for example). I suspect that their incentive is all the "anonymous" data they pick off of their users emails as they are funneled through their systems.

I don't think that their strategy is convincing people that they need to buy premium space on Dropbox.

----------

1) It does support labels. They are called lists. However, they must be created through the Mailbox app.
2) An alternate solution for your HSA issue is to simply snooze the related email receipts until the day you anticipate working with them.

Well, I'll give that a try and see if it works with my workflow. Thanks.

CBZinger

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
Mailbox - PLEASE Add full IMAP support!!

I personally love the Mailbox interface. Not very fond of Apple Mail's redesign on either the iOS or Mac platform. If Mailbox goes IMAP (my website hosts my Email), then I'm diving right in!!

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Is reading or scanning through an email quickly and just leaving it in the inbox somehow different than dealing with the email--different as in it results in actual increase in productivity or actually improves life in some way? Just curious.

Reading and scanning is one thing, but how do you know which emails need to de dealt with, replied to, or checked later?

I know that if there's an email in my inbox, I need to do something with it. That could be deleting it, opening and replying to it immediately, or leaving it till later if I'm busy now. This way I never miss an action item.

The workflow is great for me.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Reading and scanning is one thing, but how do you know which emails need to de dealt with, replied to, or checked later?

I know that if there's an email in my inbox, I need to do something with it. That could be deleting it, opening and replying to it immediately, or leaving it till later if I'm busy now. This way I never miss an action item.

The workflow is great for me.

How well does Mailbox integrate with the desktop? Will those emails that you've snoozed reappear in your Gmail inbox in the web client or only in the Mailbox app? Just curious because I mainly use my iphone/ipad for triage (or very short replies) and my macbook for longform replying, composing, etc.

Thanks for your input.

sketchguy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Thought I lost a ton of eMail on my Desktop

Be careful if you choose to archive. I did this on the iPhone app, not knowing that it would affect how iCloud mail appears in Mail.app on the desktop.

Freaked out thinking I lost a ton of old eMail. It places it in a new ARCHIVE folder.

-Steve

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
Can someone please tell me how to add my iCloud account? When I open the app, all I get is this (see attached).

When I press Add Gmail Account, there's no options for iCloud.

Help? :confused:

Attachments

• 2013-12-18 18.14.10.png
    2013-12-18 18.14.10.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 128

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
@Broph make sure the app is updated. Quickly: How's the Lorde atmosphere been in New Zealand?

For those of you that are worried about private data being collected, it's the world we live in. Dropbox owns Mailbox, and they have quite a bit amount of private data from millions of people, and I trust them with them handling my email.

Of course, it helps that Mailbox is absolutely KILLER when it comes to email.

The second a desktop version comes out, I'll be using it without a second's hesitation.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
@Broph make sure the app is updated. Quickly: How's the Lorde atmosphere been in New Zealand?

For those of you that are worried about private data being collected, it's the world we live in. Dropbox owns Mailbox, and they have quite a bit amount of private data from millions of people, and I trust them with them handling my email.

Of course, it helps that Mailbox is absolutely KILLER when it comes to email.

The second a desktop version comes out, I'll be using it without a second's hesitation.

Thanks Batman, oddly enough, I downloaded it from the app store, but it must not have downloaded the latest version… Then it appeared in the updates tab. Weird.

Lorde is obviously the biggest artist in NZ right now (with massive help from her success in America - As soon as she started getting big in America, she was all over the news and music stations here). New Zealand is always pretty slow in recognising their own talent, until some other country recognises her. Rightly so though, she's a great musician and it's hard to believe she's so young. She promised to perform at some NZ location, but couldn't make it due to the Grammys (or something like that), so now she's promised to do another / more shows to make up for it - so it still seems like she's loyal to NZ, and remains sincere. She seems like she is someone who can't be manipulated by the music industry (like so many new artists), which IMO is a great change - back to how it should be. However, a lot of people here think she's a little odd, or weird - perhaps a little too philosophical, and can at times come off as trying to be "too deep". Maybe this is somehow related to how I mentioned it doesn't seem she would be manipulated by the music industry. But I have seen a few interviews with friends, and she may have said something, and we've just looked at each other as if to say "whaaat is she on about…"… If that makes sense? Hahaha. My little cousin goes to the same school as her, but he said he hasn't seen her around for ages haha. So, yeah, it's a great time for NZ music - but there's many many other great artists in NZ!

Sorry for the lack of paragraphing, couldn't be bothered.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Why on earth is telling me that I have 1000 of new emails when I add a new gmail account? How can I mark them as read without deliting them? Thanks.

snowbaked

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
This mailbox app is great.

The only issue I have with iCloud integration is it seems for the Archive folder on mailbox I am seeing (and sending) messages to trash on my mac mail app.

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2013
Will those emails that you've snoozed reappear in your Gmail inbox in the web client or only in the Mailbox app?

Absolutely, if a snoozed message reappears in your Mailbox at the deferred time, it will reappear on the web version of Gmail as well. What you see in your Mailbox will always be mirrored on the desktop, web, mobile version of Gmail.

Archiving would move an email to All Mail, deleting would move it to Trash. Snoozing an email would temporarily archive it and place it under a Snoozed label, then it will be put back in the Inbox at the specific time it has been deferred to. Honestly, the fact that you're using Gmail makes Mailbox even more perfect to use for you, since archiving and labels (called Lists in Mailbox) are all built into Gmail, unlike Yahoo where there is no archiving and folders, instead of labels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.