Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today released a new MyGlass companion app for the iPhone, which is designed to increase compatibility between Google Glass and iOS devices. MyGlass is used to configure and manage Glass devices.

myglass.jpg
Use it to set up Glass, get directions on the go, screencast what you see on Glass to your phone, and add Glassware and contacts.

If you don't have Glass, then downloading this will be a waste of time. Sorry about that. Learn more at google.com/glass.
Prior to the release of the MyGlass app, Google Glass had much more limited functionality with the iPhone, but Android users have long had access to an Android version of the MyGlass app which lets users Screencast from Glass to an Android smartphone and provides an interface for turning Glass apps off and on.

The same functionality will now be available for iPhone users, making Google Glass far more useful on Apple's platform.

Google Glass can be purchased via invitation from Google for $1500. MyGlass for iOS can be downloaded for free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Update: MyGlass appears to have been pulled from the App Store, though it is unclear why.

Update 2: In a Google+ post, Google notes that MyGlass for iOS will launch later this week.
Great news iPhone fans, the iOS app is ready, but we need you to have this month's Glass update first before it will work. We know we spilled the beans a bit too soon, but we'll let you know when it's available for download later this week.
Update 3: MyGlass is once again available in the App Store as of Thursday, December 19.

Article Link: Google Releases New 'MyGlass' Companion App for Google Glass [Updated]

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Me neither, just like anything else I'd be interested in, I'd have to justify the price tag before I buy it.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Glass is a piece of junk and you need a phone anyway for it to work properly. This is no better than their watch you need a phone for. Rushed, cheap, tacky products !

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I'm sure as soon as Apple releases their iSee to compete with Glass, everyone claiming the Glass is tacky will suddenly spring up to support Apple's version and declare it the best thing since Retina iPad Mini.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm sure as soon as Apple releases their iSee to compete with Glass, everyone claiming the Glass is tacky will suddenly spring up to support Apple's version and declare it the best thing since Retina iPad Mini.

And then they'll accuse Google of copying Apple's product ;)

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I assume it may have something to do with google apps for google glass being available through the companion app???

It's been a year and I still haven't seen a single soul using google glass and it's not like I'm a country bumpkin here.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
It is pretty easy to justify an Apple purchase.

Well especially when justification is mere collecting, then you get your hands on all the classic products like myself, and I'm only 18! :p

----------

Show me a $1500 product from Apple with so little value.

Just saying if you're gonna spend let's say 3.5K on a mac pro, it'd be for a damn good reason like intense video editing or something, a job that nothing cheaper an do as well. Such an item would not be required for general consumer use. I love apple products like crazy and am a vintage collector (only 18) and I consider them all to be faily good value. But many task at perfectly suited to a $400 PC for example. While a $1500 would be my personal choice given an appropriate budget, it is not completely needed or the task.

Basically I think apple products are good value and higher end, therefore cost a lot of dollaz.

----------

I only have an iPhone 5. That's about it. I'm looking to replace my PC laptop with an iPad though. I don't really need the flexibility of the PC software.

I think many people misinterpreted my position. I think Apple products are the best stuff in general, but I need lots of pennies to get em!

(I spent €200 on a Macintosh 512Ke last year when I was 17 merely because I love it as a toy and piece of art and history. I'm as hooked as it gets! :p)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
It is pretty easy to justify an Apple purchase.

Depends on the buyers finical position and what their requirements are. A Mac Pro or web browsing? An indefensible waste of money, regarless of whether or not you can afford it. Totally that guys choice if that how he wants to spend his money, but most people would consider that spending needless.

A $1500 iMac for a desktop computer for a middle class family on a budget? I don't think so. Such a situation would call for a cheaper $400 Dell or similar product, even though it is an inferior product. spending the exta cash for the better machine would be irresponsible in this case.

I think when budget suffices, to the degre that you are wealthy enough to buy virtually ANY phone/computer/tablet etc., then apple would be my go to any day. But they at top shelf products. The lower true exists for a reason. While a Ferarri is better than a Ford Focus and perhaps even great value, it doesn't make a sensible choice when picking a car for most people.

I say this as a lover of apple products, and an apple collector. Please continue to be civil about this trivial topic! :p

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Apple doesn't sell prototypes. They keep prototypes internal, determine internally if it's a product worth bringing to market, and then release it only if it is. Google, and other companies similarly known for halfassing things, on the other hand, is totally incapable of determining if a product is worth having or not and so they have to put prototypes out. Because supposedly customers know what they want. (They don't.)

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
I just got my Google Glass delivered yesterday, coincidentally. Great timing for me.

As for the debate on it's value, no, for any consumer it's absolutely not worth $1500 unless you have a lot of disposable money. I got it because I'm planning on developing with it, but after playing with it a couple days now I can safely assure everyone that functionality-wise it isn't ready for primetime yet. Also, it's worth noting that when the consumer model comes out it will be less than $1500, this is only the price for developers and super early adopters.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

Difference is, if Apple released a product like that it would actually do something useful, but they won't because its a floored concept. People don't want to be around anyone using it because they don't know if the thing is photographing or recording them. It has major privacy implications which obviously weren't even considered by the product developers. They basically never asked the question 'is this a good idea in the real world', they just built it and hoped for the best.

----------

Exactly, they never considered if the thing was usable in the real world rather than a lab on the Google's campus. I can see this being banned in most buildings because of privacy concerns.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Difference is, if Apple released a product like that it would actually do something useful, but they won't because its a floored concept. People don't want to be around anyone using it because they don't know if the thing is photographing or recording them. It has major privacy implications which obviously weren't even considered by the product developers. They basically never asked the question 'is this a good idea in the real world', they just built it and hoped for the best.

----------

Exactly, they never considered if the thing was usable in the real world rather than a lab on the Google's campus. I can see this being banned in most buildings because of privacy concerns.

That's such a ridiculous argument. There are dozens of different spy cams available that you can hide on your person to covertly record and nobody will know the better. At least if someone is wearing Glass they're being honest about possibly recording you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.