Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ted124b

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Hello,
I have a 1.67 15inch powerbook g4 with 1.5 gig Ram, 100 gig harddrive and the 128mb video card.
Last night i shut down my computer and for whatever reason i also unplugged ac adaptor. This morning i plugged in the ac adaptor and booted up...I got to the grey screen with apple logo in back and spinning wheel below. The computer will just hang at this screen with the wheel spinning below it for any period of time until i manually restart the computer....

In an attempt to fix this problem i have performed the following steps
-reset power PRAM, and NVRAM
-reset Power manager
-disconnected all usb/firewire/ext devices

I have booted from CD and can get to the new os x install screen...
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions...closest apple store is in grand rapids, mi my homewtown about two hours awaay... I however am at college and am in desperate need to get my powerbook up and running by the end of the day in order to retrieve and edit a paper...what other steps can i take
Thanks
Ted

Problem solved for now...i did archive and install after all other steps. so now i am just wondering 1 can i put my third party memory back in (kingston ktd-insp5150/1g) have i effectively ruled out this did not cause the problem... also should i delete the folder from the archive install Thank you Ted

ted124b

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
yes 1 gig of ram from kingston i believe...

Safe mode does not start up...........aprox. how long should i wait at each startup until it is hopeless(ie if i wait 5 minutes at startup and the wheel (progess indicator is still spinning) can i assume that the computer won't boot

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, if it hasn't reacted in five minutes then you know something's wrong. Take the RAM out and try starting it up again.

You've tried all the right things so far though. Well done. :)

ted124b

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
i removed the RAM still won't boot up. with the RAM now removed should i back step and reperform all the troubleshooting tasks i have before...should i now reset the power manager, pram nvram ext
thanks for your help

ted124b

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
I have ran disk utility and repaired permitions...Still no luck. should i reinstall mac osx?any other suggestions

ted124b

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
I did archive and install.....it works i am scared to restart though any thoughts on this..... what should i do now to make sure this doesnt occur again? i believe an archive install makes a copy of the old system folder should i delete this ? thanks
ted

ted124b

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Problem solved for now...i did archive and install after all other steps. so now i am just wondering 1 can i put my third party memory back in (kingston ktd-insp5150/1g) have i effectively ruled out this did not cause the problem... also should i delete the folder from the archive install Thank you Ted

first restart worked any reason to thik future restarts will not work?
thanks ted

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sorry, I fell asleep on you there. It was getting a bit late for me. :eek: Interpret freely.

Good to see you've got a solution together. Yes, you pretty much ruled out the RAM because it'd be a very rare case (but still feasible) that removing it wouldn't help. Put it back in, it'll almost certainly be fine.

As for the previous System Folder, only keep it if you want to scavenge things form it such as other settings. It can otherwise be deleted.

Hopefully this has completely solved the problem. The only thing wrong is that we still don't quite know how it happened in the first place. It's very rare for OSX to react in that way though, so it's unlikely to reoccur. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.