Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added the ability to gift ebooks to friends and family through the iBookstore, reports Macworld. Users have long been able to purchase songs, movies or TV shows through iTunes, as well as standard gift cards, but the ability to gift a particular book is new.

Books can be gifted immediately, or the gift email notification can be held for a particular date, making holiday shopping particularly easy. Apple added the ability to gift App Store apps back in 2010.

ibooksgifting.png
Gifting in the iBookstore works identically to Apple's iTunes and App Store counterparts: Just choose the book you'd like to gift, then tap either the dropdown arrow next to the price (on a Mac) or the Share button (on an iOS device). On a Mac, select "Gift This Book"; on iOS, choose "Gift"--then add the recipient's email, the sender's name, a brief message, and the date you want it sent (now, or later). One note: On iOS, it looks like you have to tap the "Today" field under "Send Gift" in order to change to a different date.
Users can only purchase gifts for recipients using their same country store; there is no ability to gift books internationally.

Article Link: Apple Adds Gifting to iBookstore

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
while i think this is nice nothing beats the amazon kindle book integration.

it's too bad apple made buying books from the kindle/amazon app more inconvenient to customers.

that's corporations for you. :rolleyes::apple:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
What happens if you buy a book, app, or music for someone and they already have it? Is the software smart enough to know they already have it if purchased from Apple (makes the most sense in the case of apps)? And if not, do users have the option of exchange or return? That has always been the main reason I've avoided buying apps as gifts.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
What happens if you buy a book, app, or music for someone and they already have it? Is the software smart enough to know they already have it if purchased from Apple (makes the most sense in the case of apps)? And if not, do users have the option of exchange or return? That has always been the main reason I've avoided buying apps as gifts.

Here's a thought, you could always ask the person you're gifting it to if they have it already. ;)

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I actually like this one. If only my roommate didn't adore her physical collection...

Last edited:

thelonelylimo

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2010
Ohio
Can you gift free books?

Kind of, you can "Tell a Friend" which allows you to send a link to the book via email. Click the link in the email and it opens in iTunes or iBooks (if you have it installed on your device). It would be the same as if you did "gift" it to them, they click and redeem since it's "free" anyway.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Nice Apple, nice....!.....

You are helping me to fulfill my Christmas list of gifts.....:D

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.