Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pebble, the company behind the popular Pebble Smart Watch, today announced the opening of its new Pebble Developer Portal. With the Developer Portal open, Pebble app developers can upload apps that will be distributed in the company's upcoming Pebble appstore, slated to launch in early 2014.

The appstore, which will function similarly to other app repositories from companies like Apple and Google, will allow Pebble users to download an array of apps for their smart watches, from watch faces to more complex applications developed especially for the device.

pebbleappstore.jpg
When it launches in early 2014, the Pebble appstore will be a first-of-its-kind wearable tech application directory--giving Pebble users a one-stop-shop for searching, browsing, and installing Pebble watch faces and apps directly from the iOS or Android Pebble smartphone app.
Pebble's Developer Portal comes after the November release of its Pebble SDK 2.0, which added four new APIs including Javascript, Accelerometer, Data Logging, and Persistent Storage. Pebble also recently gained support for iOS 7 notifications via the Pebble Smartwatch app, greatly enhancing the functionality of the device.

The Pebble Smart watch can be purchased from the Pebble website for $150. The accompanying Pebble Smartwatch app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pebble Opens Developer Portal, Appstore Coming in 2014

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
In other news (future looking), Pebble seems to be gearing up as a company Apple (or others) could buy.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
If Apple was going to buy this company, they would have already. But Apple already had the ecosystem, the developers, the operating system, and the users.

JGO

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
smh

No wonder they have been too busy to fulfill the order that they charged to my credit card on 4 December, but has yet to be put in the mail... :p

But seriously Apple...release the iWatch so that I can pay a little extra for quality AND customer service.

kdarling

macrumors P6
In other news (future looking), Pebble seems to be gearing up as a company Apple (or others) could buy.

Could be.

Google bought WIMM Labs last year. The best thing about the WIMM was that it had its own WiFi, and did not need a watch to sync mail, RSS feeds, weather, etc.

I hope Google keeps that independence.

They should Patent as much as they can while they can..

Sometimes I think that there needs to be a moratorium period on filing patents in newly popular technology areas, until all the obvious stuff is already in public.

For example, every smartwatch maker has already come up with common ideas like user designable watchfaces, automatic sync'ing, UI gestures like swiping between pages, etc. It'd be a pity for one to grab any basic idea like that just by spending money on filing ahead of anyone else.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
Useful?

How useful is the Pebble watch? Any real users out there have comments on how much they actually use this on a daily basis? I use a watch, just wondering if this is worth it?

iSimon

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Glasgow
How useful is the Pebble watch? Any real users out there have comments on how much they actually use this on a daily basis? I use a watch, just wondering if this is worth it?
I never wear any other watch since getting mine - it's that useful. It's impossible to realise how convenient it is to see notifications at a glance of your watch rather than having to fish your phone out of your pocket until you have actually experienced it. Being able to reject a call from someone you don't need or want to speak to from your watch is very handy too (or answering it if it's someone you do and you happen to be using a handsfree headset).

It will only get better with the new api's that are coming with the 2.0 update too as you will be able to do more and more without having to get your phone out.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Nice. The Pebble app is a Trojan horse directing people to their own App Store. ASFAIK, this is the first iOS app that leads to another App Store. Can anybody think of another? Google and Amazons don't/can't because the devices are incompatible.

MacUserUK

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2012
Quiet possibly the best 'gadget' I have ever purchased.

Absolutely love my Pebble

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Nice. The Pebble app is a Trojan horse directing people to their own App Store. ASFAIK, this is the first iOS app that leads to another App Store. Can anybody think of another? Google and Amazons don't/can't because the devices are incompatible.

Google and Amazon are free to do so, as long as they pay that 30% cut to Apple. Best example is the Kindle app on iOS - Amazon is not going to pay Apple 30% of kindle book sales, so they don't have their kindle app store within the app.
Don't know exactly how it will apply to the Pebble App Store, and if it will be available from within the iOS app itself, but I imagine they're ok to play by Apple's rules.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Didn't think I'd really ever want/need a Pebble - but made an impulse buy a few days ago because I was able to get a new one for under $100.

Have to say - so far - love it. If for no other reason that the ability to feel a vibration on my wrist when my phone rings (I usually have the ringer off at home and at work). Especially if I am "away" from my desk elsewhere in the office or home. Complete with caller ID

I am not a Pebble "power user" if there is such a thing - but I'm very happy with my purchase.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
If the iWatch is coming, they'd better run as fast as they can!

----------

Can I use one as an Armagettron server? Web server? I was going to build a super-portable Raspberry Pi for something like this, but...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Quiet possibly the best 'gadget' I have ever purchased.

Absolutely love my Pebble

Same. I can now use my big headphones whilst listening to music :), and getting an additional alert when I get calls and messages is really useful. Haven't missed a call since I got mine!

So much could be improved though. I can't wait to see the next generation of smart watches.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Almost bought a Pebble the other day. Best Buy is advertising and running deals on the thing like crazy.

However, logic won out at the point where I was ready to checkout on bestbuy.com. If Apple releases a wearable solution of some kind in 2014 (as I fully expect that they will), I think it will be another iPhone/iPad moment and the Pebbles and GalaxyGears of the world will instantly look like last generation technology.

Plus, I know myself well enough to know that even if I had a Pebble, the minute Apple releases their own wearable tech, I will instantly want it. All that said, I'm sitting the Pebble out. I haven't worn a watch regularly for the past decade and while the Pebble is interesting, I'm much more interested to see what Apple comes up with.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If the iWatch is coming, they'd better run as fast as they can!

----------

Can I use one as an Armagettron server? Web server? I was going to build a super-portable Raspberry Pi for something like this, but...

iWatch will only be compatible with iPhone - pebble works with Android as well. Pebble will suffer a loss of sales but will continue. Cheaper probably too. Longer battery life maybe.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Almost bought a Pebble the other day. Best Buy is advertising and running deals on the thing like crazy.

However, logic won out at the point where I was ready to checkout on bestbuy.com. If Apple releases a wearable solution of some kind in 2014 (as I fully expect that they will), I think it will be another iPhone/iPad moment and the Pebbles and GalaxyGears of the world will instantly look like last generation technology.

Plus, I know myself well enough to know that even if I had a Pebble, the minute Apple releases their own wearable tech, I will instantly want it. All that said, I'm sitting the Pebble out. I haven't worn a watch regularly for the past decade and while the Pebble is interesting, I'm much more interested to see what Apple comes up with.

iPhone: 2007
iPad: 2010
Wearable: 2014

Seems about right! (Although we all know that Apple can't continue this trend forever. Unless of course new devices continue to replace old devices).

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
iWatch will only be compatible with iPhone - pebble works with Android as well. Pebble will suffer a loss of sales but will continue. Cheaper probably too. Longer battery life maybe.

There will probably be some Android watches soon, besides the Samsung one, so there will be watches for iPhones and Androids. Depends on whether the new Android ones end up being better. I tried the Samsung watch by the way, and it pretty much sucks.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
There will probably be some Android watches soon, besides the Samsung one, so there will be watches for iPhones and Androids. Depends on whether the new Android ones end up being better. I tried the Samsung watch by the way, and it pretty much sucks.

I think even Samsung said there was something missing with their smart phone - it missed some sort of wow factor.

I've seen some other Android watches around. One particular one - some obscure make- battery lasts 1 or 2 days, doubled as a phone too. Personally, I don't want a phone on my wrist, but a watch that will compliment a smartphone, and decent battery life ( 5 days is a good minimum ).

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Google and Amazon are free to do so, as long as they pay that 30% cut to Apple. Best example is the Kindle app on iOS - Amazon is not going to pay Apple 30% of kindle book sales, so they don't have their kindle app store within the app.
Don't know exactly how it will apply to the Pebble App Store, and if it will be available from within the iOS app itself, but I imagine they're ok to play by Apple's rules.

I don't think Kindle is the right comparison for the same reason any other ecommerce site doesn't fit. Apple doesn't 30% everything bought on the Amazon or Best Buy or Newegg app, but an App Store seems like a different beast to me, much more like an in app purchase. Just a thought...

fullfast

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Cannot wait

Impulse purchased on the 16th for delivery to the UK.....left hong kong on the 18th and has cleared customs on its way to delivery for either pm today or am tomorrow.......ordered wife some perfume from 300 miles away 10 days ago and still not here.......hey ho.....

Still as long as I get my present.....I already have the apps downloaded I want to install and the relevant watch faces........

Come on Santa...deliver today.....

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I don't think Kindle is the right comparison for the same reason any other ecommerce site doesn't fit. Apple doesn't 30% everything bought on the Amazon or Best Buy or Newegg app, but an App Store seems like a different beast to me, much more like an in app purchase. Just a thought...

hmm, that's some good food for thought. I never really thought about just the general Amazon app and it blew my mind for a second trying to justify it. Good point. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.