Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
A business opportunity for decent looking camera cover designs. Say, as opposed to the electrical tape & cardboard, or post-it notes.

Here's the GE 3D printed camera cover designed by Moot:

Attachments

• Moot Designed Camera Cover for Macs Screen Shot 2013-11-27 at 4.52.05 PM.jpg
    Moot Designed Camera Cover for Macs Screen Shot 2013-11-27 at 4.52.05 PM.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 107

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
This is like hacking Windows 95 and saying the flaw is most likely existent in Win 8.1, despite the multitude of kernel rewrites and hardware changes through the years. (The is still probably legacy code in 8.1, but seriously? This is very tenuous)

I'm waiting until the NSA comes out and shows is how it's done before I worry.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Virus is a virus is a virus. Who cares if the person who downloads and installs this form of a trojan gets infected.

If this was an exploit than we have a whole different story.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I can remember the keynote where Steve Jobs claimed that this hack couldn't be done as a justification for why they had removed physical iris when they moved from the old firewire iSight camera to the integrated models.

Never say never.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
If someone wants to see what the majority of people do in front of a camera-ON THE INTERNET-good luck to them. #cannotbeunseen

Khaaaaaaaaaan

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Madision, WI
Awesome...nothing like a low tech solution for a high tech problem. It's getting to the point where one can't have a "private moment" without SOMEONE spying on you. I mean sure, I probably SHOULD have lowered the curtains that one time while walking around my house nude but dammit!, my neighbors should keep their eyes on their OWN damn house ;)

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I've already developed a patch to fix this.

....well more like cut a patch out of a cloth than developed

worldattorney

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2013
What is going to be most interesting is whether Cook changes future Macs so that the green light IS wired into the camera so that no software hack can defeat it.

Considering all of his public statements, memos and White House visits claiming that Apple is against all this surveillance, he could easily modify all future Macs to prevent at least this kind of governmental intrusion (well, not prevent it, but at least warn the user that the camera is on via the light)

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I wonder if they've changed the design since 2008. I was under the impression that the LED is on the path to power the camera. In other words, they're wired together in a way that you can't send power to the camera without powering on the LED first.

This has often been claimed but never demonstrated. I'd like to see an executable of the exploit they used, to test on various machines.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
I'd be far more worried about the microphone.

The most likely thing the camera will pick up is your face staring at the screen - not very informative - or the wall across from the computer if you aren't sitting in front of it. Neither has much spy potential.

On the other hand, your computer's microphone (and may I remind everyone, it doesn't have a red light that needs to be hacked), can pick up all sorts of conversations you would rather remain private. That plus the contents of your hard drive, your web browsing history, every email, text message and phone call you've ever made, every character you've ever typed on your keyboard -- that's the stuff I'd be worrying about. And if they can control your camera remotely, believe me (or if you prefer believe the NSA docs Edward Snowden revealed) they can get all that other stuff. No tin foil hat necessary unfortunately - reading the Washington Post, The Guardian and NY Times will suffice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.