Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the start of online orders for the redesigned Mac Pro, Apple has released a major update for Final Cut Pro X. The program now supports optimized playback and rendering utilizing the dual AMD FirePro graphics chips found in the new Mac Pro, along with support for video monitoring at resolutions up to 4K via Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI on select Mac computers. The update also includes 4K-optimized content, and a host of other additions and performance enhancements. Final Cut Pro X companion apps Compressor [Direct Link] and Motion [Direct Link] have also received similar improvements.

finalcutprox_dec13-800x534.jpg
What's New in Final Cut Pro X version 10.1

Final Cut Pro X version 10.1 adds the following features:

- Optimized playback and rendering using dual GPUs in the new Mac Pro
- Video monitoring up to 4K via Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI on select Mac computers
- 4K content including titles, transitions, and generators
- Libraries allow you to gather multiple events and projects within a single bundle
- Easily open and close individual libraries to load just the material you need
- Option to import camera media to locations inside or outside of a library
- Automatically back up libraries to a user-specified drive or network location
- Project Snapshots let you quickly capture the project state for fast versioning
- Audio fade handles on individual audio channels in the timeline
- Add precise retime speeds by entering them numerically in the timeline
- Non-rippling retime option
- One step Replace and retime
- Custom project frame sizes
- Through edits displayed on all clip types
- Join Through Edit command removes bladed cuts to clips in the timeline
- Detach audio with Multicam clips in the timeline to manipulate audio and video separately
- Make video- or audio-only edits into the timeline with Multicam Clips as sources
- Blade and move audio in J- and L-cuts
- Ability to roll audio with J- and L-cut splits open
- Option to hide the Event browser to gain more screen space for viewing
- Native support for .MTS and .MT2S files from AVCHD cameras
- Used media indicators on source clips
- Improved performance with large projects
- Improved performance when modifying or adding keywords to many clips at once
- Easily move, copy, and paste multiple keyframes
- Option for the linear animation with Ken Burns effect
- Improved image stabilization with InertiaCam and Tripod mode
- Import photos from iOS devices
- Proxy and playback quality controls accessible in Viewer menu
- Support for portrait/landscape metadata in still images
- Effects parameters, fonts, and text size included in XML metadata
- Improved support for growing media and edit while ingest
- API for custom Share operations using third-party software
- FxPlug 3 with custom plug-in interfaces and dual-GPU support
- Share directly to YouTube at 4K resolution
Final Cut Pro X is available in the Mac App Store for $299.99. The 10.1 update is free for current customers. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Final Cut Pro X with 2013 Mac Pro Compatibility, 4K Content

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
That ground-up rewrite not looking like such a bad idea now...

-AG-

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Austalia
Same "video card not supported" error as iMovie had earlier this year, this time with all 3 updates on a 2008 iMac.

Hopefully a fix is on its way.

Last edited:

jeffhayford

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Impressive but not quite there yet...

It's like Mac OS X 10.0 über simplified interface that nobody liked. 10.1 made major improvements. By the time 10.2 came around people were starting to take it seriously. By 10.4, 5, 6 the adoption rate took off.

I predict a similar situation with FCP X, however I'm still on the fence, or in another yard playing rather.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
LIBRARIES!!! FINALLY!

And all those other features. Damn! This program looks pretty close to feature complete where it should be.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
That ground-up rewrite not looking like such a bad idea now...

was there anyone totally against a complete rewrite per se?

its been out for what 2 1/2 years. how much business has gone elsewhere in that time and will it come back?

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Is this a good time to buy Final Cut Pro X? Do you think Apple is going to release free updates like forever, same as OX X and other Apple apps? I am not a pro but I do like to play with videos and do some serious stuff on Premier Pro, and I'm tempted to pay the 300 dollars and never looking back.

iBungie

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
This update is just the excuse I need to replace my trusty room heating MacPro2.1 with the new model released today. I'm currently limited to OSX 10.7.5 - while there's nothing wrong with continuing as at present this FCP update inevitably means OSX 10.9 beckons for me….

… although I'll now need to use the radiator for warmth :)

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
I am still working my way through the Peachpit Final Cut Pro X books, so I guess half of the lessons will now be incorrect. Bugger!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Question that occurred to me when I realized FCP wasn't supporting 4K until now:

1 - How have people been editing 4K video prior to now?
2 - How are people editing IMAX video, even now?

My understanding was that most professional video was edited in either FCP or Premiere... Is there other, special software just for editing IMAX, for example?

Jun 10, 2013
Question that occurred to me when I realized FCP wasn't supporting 4K until now:

My understanding was that most professional video was edited in either FCP or Premiere... Is there other, special software just for editing IMAX, for example?

Most professional video (more in the realm of movies) is edited in node based software such as NukeX. It differs in television because of the time requirements and difficulty associated with node based workflows. No Apple offering nor Adobe offering really comes close to NukeX (and similar softwares) when it comes to huge resolutions and complicated compositing requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Most professional video (more in the realm of movies) is edited in node based software such as NukeX. It differs in television because of the time requirements and difficulty associated with node based workflows. No Apple offering nor Adobe offering really comes close to NukeX (and similar softwares) when it comes to huge resolutions and complicated compositing requirements.

Not really, Nuke is for compositing, not editing. You make a movie in editing software, but make the individual VFX shots in compositing software. You could edit in a comping app or vice versa but you'd make yourself very unwell doing so. Also, Nuke is widely used in TV.

Jun 10, 2013
Not really, Nuke is for compositing, not editing. You make a movie in editing software, but make the individual VFX shots in compositing software. You could edit in a comping app or vice versa but you'd make yourself very unwell doing so. Also, Nuke is widely used in TV.

To clarify I was talking of the meat of the production which isn't usually the "Final Cut". I still don't see people taking their product from Nuke and putting it into After Effects. I've only ever played with these softwares for fun so my memory fails me for what would be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

kap91

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006

Generally on a project of any decent scale you'll edit with"offline" lower res/lower bitrate material and then when finished relink to the higher quality material ---usually in a different program designed for finishing.

Most feature films you see in theaters and nearly all TV Shows are still edited with Avid's Media Composer with the occasional one being edited with FCP7. And they'll be dragged away from it only if necessary and kicking and screaming all the way. Only smaller independent filmmakers are really using premiere or FCPX at the moment - and there's not that many of them. In the commercial/corporate/educational/broadcast sector you would be closer to right as premiere and fcpx have been picking up a lot of steam there. However the need to work with 4K industry wide has really been nonexistent (other than needing a way to convert camera originals to "offline" - res---usually just plain HD and color grading/finishing software used in the relink process. Although now every major NLE supports 4K in some fashion we're still a few years out before it'll really be all that useful considering the lack of ways to see it - and even then most professionals will still elect to use an offline workflow to save on hard drive space and system overhead.

Hope that answers your question.

EDIT: seems like there's a bit of confusion on the other apps out there

For Visual Effects and compositing you'd see both after effects and Nuke being used at the professional level - though nuke is definitely more advanced. While theoretically possible in practical terms you'd never actual edit with them. There's also a few other applications used for this purpose such as Autodesk's Flame. 3d Modeling for VFX would likely be done in Maya though there's others as well

While were at it I mentioned software you use for the final relink or "conform" and color grading/finishing. The most commonly used ones are Da Vinci Resolve, Scratch, Lustre, and Baselight with Apple Color (RIP) and Adobe's Speedgrade being used here and there.

Last edited:

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Great, 4K editing on my Mini 2011 with real 4K output over HDMI. Finally pushing that 6630M to its limits.

The OS required is a big jump unfortunately. From 10.6 minimum straight to 10.9.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I really like FCPX except for just one big issue: file management. I teach video editing, and students need to work on their projects outside of class in an open lab. Moving their projects from one machine to another is a nightmare. (We don't have an X San, so network editing is out.) I sent feedback to Apple asking them to make an option as they have in Logic X to package the project into a single file, which would allow for greater portability. I used to have beginning students use iMovie for just that reason, but the new iMovie now uses the same file system as FCPX. *sigh*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.