Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside today's launch of the redesigned Mac Pro and updates to Final Cut Pro X and its associated professional video apps, Apple has also released updated versions of its professional audio apps. Updates include:

Logic Pro X 10.0.5 [Direct Link]
- Adds 3 new Drummers and 11 new Drum Kit Designer patches
- Significant enhancements to Channel EQ and Linear Phase EQ plug-ins including redesigned interfaces that are also accessible within the Smart Controls area
- Solo now works as expected on channel strips using an External I/O plug-in
- Volume and pan automation is now included in XML interchange with Final Cut Pro X
- Loops that belong to the same family can be selected and changed using a new control in the region header
- The waveform size in an audio region now adapts to the value of the region Gain parameter
- The Link mode button is now available for the Piano Roll editor
- Includes stability improvements
logic_pro_x_mainstage_remote_icons.jpg
MainStage 3.0.2 [Direct Link]
- Compatible with Logic Remote v1.0.3
- Save & load times are significantly faster
- Workspace can be hidden to allow a larger area to view Channel Strips
- Various stability improvements
Apple's Logic Remote 1.0.3 for iPad has also been updated for compatibility with MainStage 3.0.2. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Logic Pro Audio Apps Alongside Mac Pro Launch

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
When does Aperture get some major upgrade love? It seems Pro Logic & FCPx get occasional features adds but Aperture at best gets compatibility upgrades only.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
When does Aperture get some major upgrade love? It seems Pro Logic & FCPx get occasional features adds but Aperture at best gets compatibility upgrades only.

When? You don't seriously expect an answer to that question, do you?

Sometime soon, would be my guess. Logic Pro X was an awesome upgrade, and arrived out of the blue. I imagine that Aperture X will get a similar treatment in Apple's own good time.

Still, it's nice to see you aren't griping on about tardy Camera Raw updates any more. How is the new camera going, by the way? Isn't it nice that five more cameras were catered for yesterday?

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina

Question of the year. And last year too. I just hope we're not asking this same question next December, ugh.

koios

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010

Look, I suspect Apple wants to figure out their complete foto strategie first. This should include proper iCloud backup options and sync with iOS devices (think Everpix). It's one of the last missing plattform shortcomings and not a trivial problem to get right, but if they do, iPhoto for consumers and Aperture X for pros will be the posterboys. I hope they'll have it ready by the end of 2014, fingers crossed.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

No. I was being rhetorical. I though it was obvious given the context of my post and thread topic.

----------

Look, I suspect Apple wants to figure out their complete foto strategie first. /QUOTE]

That really makes no sense in the context of how long it's been since a major Apeture overhaul. If Apple hasn't figured it out by now then it won't. The major upgrades on iDevices is the camera. Apple understands the importance of photo. Pro (RAW) editing is either part of it or not.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

After using Aperture and seeing how bad it performs despite all its great features, I thought the problem was on my 2007 MBP, but then I tried on the highest-end iMad back in July, and its performance was just as disappointing. I hope they do a full rewrite and do it right this time.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010

Sometime soon, would be my guess. Logic Pro X was an awesome upgrade, and arrived out of the blue. I imagine that Aperture X will get a similar treatment in Apple's own good time.

Still, it's nice to see you aren't griping on about tardy Camera Raw updates any more. How is the new camera going, by the way? Isn't it nice that five more cameras were catered for yesterday?

Because when Aperture does get an upgrade, we will inevitable hear "When does...Insert Apple software or device not refreshed it a while...get upgraded?"

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Because when Aperture does get an upgrade, we will inevitable hear "When does...Insert Apple software or device not refreshed it a while...get upgraded?"

AppleWorks

Seriously though, once Aperture is updated, I don't think there will be anything left to complain about. The thing I complained about for years was iWork, and that was finally updated. I also complained about iTunes for a long time, but then I stopped when I started using Spotify (I just replaced the music app on my iPhone with Spotify the other day. I don't pay for it, but I rarely listen to music not on shuffle, so why not use it?)

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Wow, there really are no Logic/GarageBand users posting on MacRumors. Either that or they're too busy doing their own thing to bother.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Wow, there really are no Logic/GarageBand users posting on MacRumors. Either that or they're too busy doing their own thing to bother.

Give them a chance! ;) Although they(we) probably are outnumbered by iOS Angry Birds fans around here.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012

A lot of the audio guys post of specialized forums like kvr, gearslutz, or logicprohelp for these things.

I'm happy about the update though, pretty significant amount of stuff. I'll probably pull the trigger on Logic X now.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Looks like a great update. No mention of OpenCL optimization though as some had speculated for the release of the new Mac Pro.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
What I was hoping to see was that Logic had been optimized for maximum performance on the nMP by taking advantage of the GPU(s) power.

I am not seeing that….:(

So we audio folks are left paying for an "over-spec'd" GPU and paying for "potential" which may or may not ever come.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Awesome update! Hopefully Logic 10.1 will include redesigns of all the plugins. That would be really good, especially for the retina MacBook Pro. :D

irishv

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
[/COLOR]
Look, I suspect Apple wants to figure out their complete foto strategie first. /QUOTE]

That really makes no sense in the context of how long it's been since a major Apeture overhaul. If Apple hasn't figured it out by now then it won't. The major upgrades on iDevices is the camera. Apple understands the importance of photo. Pro (RAW) editing is either part of it or not.

All I want is an Aperture companion iPad app (or update to the Photos app, or iPhoto) that will allow me to maintain metadata for my Aperture library. Pixelsync was a little cumbersome, but it did exactly what I needed (minus support for the camera connection kit).

I assume Apple is planning some way to move the library into iCloud (maybe with previews), but really hope they get it figured out soon.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I've been sticking with Logic 9 for as long as I can because of the drop in 32bit plugin support (I know, lame, but loads of the plugins I use are indie ones that'll never be updated). However, this might just push me into making the jump, looks like a pretty solid update now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.