Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the new Mac Pro beginning online orders today, review units have begun to arrive at select publications. The Verge is one of the first to show off their unit, posting a short piece with some photos and first impressions.

vergemacpro.jpg
It's astonishingly reflective -- I can see the screen clearly, and anyone who walks by is immediately recognizable -- and it picks up fingerprints really easily. But it's beautiful, understated, and looks great on a desk next to the 4K Sharp monitor we've paired it with. It's particularly good-looking with its case off, exposing the Mac Pro's machinery, but the case is required to dissipate heat. You can't even use the Mac Pro with it off.

All the device's ports are on the back, bordered by a light that turns on and pulses when you spin the computer toward you. When you first turn it on, the fan kicks in, smelling a little like a new car at first. But we've been using it for a few minutes and it's quiet and cool, with little indication that it's even on in the first place. It's so unassuming and unadorned that you almost overlook it -- that's a huge improvement from the big, boxy previous models.
The site promises benchmarks and further testing soon.

Orders for the new Mac Pro now have an estimated shipping time of February, after initially showing estimates of "by December 30".

Update: An unboxing video has been posted by FCP.co, while Engadget and CNET have also posted brief hands-on looks at the new Mac Pro.

Article Link: First Mac Pro Review Units Out in the Wild

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
How difficult is it to paint the thing red?
(thinking about selling one on eBay...)

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Still waiting to see Geekbench scores of the various configurations. And yes, I Know that's only part of the story, but I want to get at least a sense of how much extra horsepower I'll get per $.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
*thick Australian accent*

"Here we see the Mac Pro sitting in it's natural habitat.... with an Apple emplyee standing next to it."

Nice article title! xD

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
But they don't say what they were running when it was quiet. I'm waiting for a reviewer to try some task where the CPU cores are all maxed out.

Agreed. My MBA is silent until I run parallels and then even it gets quite noticeable.

tmroper

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Palo Alto
Okay, so it's very reflective and it rolls. Those specs have to be two firsts for a review of a workstation. For the more in-depth review, I hope they cover whether anything like a ping-pong ball can hover over it in the venting air flow.

Last edited:

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
I can't wait for the anandtech review. It'll be a few months after everyone else because they'll actually use the thing for an extended period of time before releasing their review.

Everyone else these days seem to release their reviews a day before release having used it for maybe half a day. Bugs the hell out of me. That's the modern tech blogs for ya.

Anyway, can't wait like I say. This is going to be one amazing computer. Wish I could get one.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
fcp.co has an unboxing video up
http://www.fcp.co/hardware-and-software/pro/1306-unboxing-the-new-mac-pro-video

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Wait, you can buy a Mac Pro for only 10 euros? :eek:

Obviously, you're unfamiliar with the fact that some Europeans switch the meaning of periods and commas in terms of numbers. To an American, one thousand ninety-two and one tenth would be written as 1,092.1. To some Europeans, it would be written as 1.092,2. Same thing.

Back on topic, the Mac Pros are cool, but I can't afford one. Plus, I doubt I'd really need that much processing power.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
So, my question is, did they just get this today? I would have assumed that Apple seeded a few of these days ago to give people a chance to test them and post reviews the minute that the machines were available. Seems kind of weird.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
UK is a notable exception. If you're not in the UK, then you're probably doing it wrong.

Ah, that'll be why I'm getting confused.

I genuinely had no idea the rest of Europe wrote it like that ... it seems so backwards. I guess this little island is more secluded from Europe than I first anticipated. :D

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
I like it. It'll be a nice machine for many pros. But can I repeat my request for a headless desktop that uses desktop components, starts at $1000, and is very nicely configured for $1500?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I like it. It'll be a nice machine for many pros. But can I repeat my request for a headless desktop that uses desktop components, starts at $1000, and is very nicely configured for $1500?

Sounds perfect, I'll just give Tim Cook a call and see what he thin--

Tim-Cook-laughing.png

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
I can has Mac Pro!!!

... no no I can't =...(

As much as I want one. I will wait for the 2nd gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.