Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lieflayer

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
no for me it doesn't work...
Yes, 2 times it close fast (1-2 seconds), but after that, again 20 seconds.
I wait for the new version for Mavericks

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
OK, so I haven't installed 10.9.1 to test yet, so it is downloading now. People are saying that the new version doesn't work, so I am going to try and fix that. Unfortunately, I don't have OS X mountain lion to test but I will be able to test 10.9.1 in a few minutes. Maybe I will have to revert to the old, slow version.

EDIT: 10.9.1 is installed now. Looking at the logs, the app still does what it is meant to do, but I have Adobe CS6 on my computer, and it looks like it delays shutdown a lot.

Last edited:

lieflayer

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
OK, so I haven't installed 10.9.1 to test yet, so it is downloading now. People are saying that the new version doesn't work, so I am going to try and fix that. Unfortunately, I don't have OS X mountain lion to test but I will be able to test 10.9.1 in a few minutes. Maybe I will have to revert to the old, slow version.

EDIT: 10.9.1 is installed now. Looking at the logs, the app still does what it is meant to do, but I have Adobe CS6 on my computer, and it looks like it delays shutdown a lot.
well, I also have Adobe Photoshop CC... but I can't uninstall it.
Can you fix the app?
Thank you anyway for your work. Apple had to fix it a lots of time ago.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
well, I also have Adobe Photoshop CC... but I can't uninstall it.
Can you fix the app?
Thank you anyway for your work. Apple had to fix it a lots of time ago.

Well, the way I always saw what was running when I shut down the computer was to boot in verbose mode and when it shut down it always showed the running processes. When I applied the fix to it those messages would go away and it would be faster. This time however, the messages went away but it seemed to still hang with no errors. I checked console and saw tons of things about "adobe." I do have CS6 installed so I know that must be it. It has a .plist in there but I'm not yet sure how to stop it on shut down, but I will be sure to update on my progress when I figure it out.

lieflayer

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
Well, the way I always saw what was running when I shut down the computer was to boot in verbose mode and when it shut down it always showed the running processes. When I applied the fix to it those messages would go away and it would be faster. This time however, the messages went away but it seemed to still hang with no errors. I checked console and saw tons of things about "adobe." I do have CS6 installed so I know that must be it. It has a .plist in there but I'm not yet sure how to stop it on shut down, but I will be sure to update on my progress when I figure it out.

Ok I wait.
Thank you.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
It doesn't work in Mac OS X 10.9.1 :confused:
At login I've only Skype, iStat Menus, iStat Pro (in the Dashboard) and Caffeine..

Ya, the new version of the app doesn't seem to work anymore so I am going to update it as soon as I figure out what is wrong :/

knguyench

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
Ya, the new version of the app doesn't seem to work anymore so I am going to update it as soon as I figure out what is wrong :/

Hi guy,
I do something and your App work, just 1 times- after do script here.
"sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches"
I think my feedback can help you clairified your apps. I looking forward hearing from you.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Hi guy,
I do something and your App work, just 1 times- after do script here.
"sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches"
I think my feedback can help you clairified your apps. I looking forward hearing from you.

I put those commands into terminal recently actually, but that did nothing to help, sorry. It looks so far like the app still does work and speeds up shutting down, but not as much because something else happens before it gets to the stage that used to be the slow part. I can't figure out what is happening in that stage though.

knguyench

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
I put those commands into terminal recently actually, but that did nothing to help, sorry. It looks so far like the app still does work and speeds up shutting down, but not as much because something else happens before it gets to the stage that used to be the slow part. I can't figure out what is happening in that stage though.

Sorry allthing can't help you. I wait your effort.

tommiv

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014

find my mac in iCloud makes mac shutdown 20-30 secs. Disable it and I get always 11sec shutdown time. Still no 2 secs but not bad. Have to investigate some more if svn faster shutdown times are possible without tweaks.

lieflayer

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
I discover that shutdown with terminal:
"sudo shutdown -h now"
or
"sudo halt"
will result in fast shutdown... but I try to make an app (with automator and apple script) that use that terminal command and it doesn't work (again 20 seconds). I think that if we can shutdown like the terminal does we can have a fast shutdown.

del1357

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
hey kyle, i installed the fix before reading the whole post (yeah, not clever, i know...). i'm running 10.9.2 and it's affected my start-up time slightly, unfortunately for the worse. is there a way to reverse/uninstall the fix? i've tried choosing 'default' but the problem persists. thanks for your work regardless.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
hey kyle, i installed the fix before reading the whole post (yeah, not clever, i know...). i'm running 10.9.2 and it's affected my start-up time slightly, unfortunately for the worse. is there a way to reverse/uninstall the fix? i've tried choosing 'default' but the problem persists. thanks for your work regardless.

How much is your startup time affected? By how many seconds? I don't think that this fix can do anything that will affect it.

del1357

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
How much is your startup time affected? By how many seconds? I don't think that this fix can do anything that will affect it.
Hey Kyle, startup time is roughly 10 seconds more. More noticeably, though, the initial Apple logo/booting screen blacks out for a second before returning to normal, which it didn't used to do.

I had applied a different slow startup fix months ago, so combining it with another one might not've been the best idea.

My own fault, always messing around with stuff I don't really understand!

IBeenMacSince19

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
I use the method below for a faster 3 to 4 second shutdown. Before anyone downloads your app, why don't you tell us a little bit about it first. (Should) in your post is some what iffy and needs clarification. What have you experienced ?

Type these commands into the terminal window one by one, and right after terminal repair permissions in the disc utility.

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

Thanks so much for this tip! It worked perfectly for me. I had upgraded my 2009 MBP to a 500GB Samsung 840 EVO ssd, and thereafter could not do a soft shut down, no matter how long I waited (I once waited 30 minutes before doing a hard shut down). But your tip worked.

liongalahad

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
Hi, I am experiencing a slow shutdown in OS X 10.10 Yosemite, will this tool work for me? Has anyone tried it yet? Thanks

NateC1955

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
Texas
MBP (late 2013)
OSX - 10.10.2
16GB
i7 - 2.3GHz

I found that the Launch Agent - com.synology.cloudstation.plist - will cause a shutdown of almost 40 seconds, whether the NAS was online or not AND whether the Mac was connected to a network or not (wireless included). This has been reported to Synology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.