Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about this.. but is anyone else looking forward to the announcement of OWC's internal upgrades for the 2013 Air?

I for one, am stuck on the 128GB and have ranted a number of times about my mistake in not upgrading at purchase.. but I'd love a nice 480GB upgrade.

The advantages of OWC are a warranty, high performance and great support too!

But do any 2012 OWC upgrade users have tips for us planning to buy?

When did the 2012 OWC SSDs get announced in relation to the Mid-2012 Air model.

I was hoping for before Xmas, but that's clearly not happening now :(

Thanks!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't expect any SSD upgrades for these machines ever. They use a different connection technology than previous Airs and I doubt it's worth the development cost for anyone to offer replacements.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I emailed OWC and they said they couldn't comment on Future products, could this mean there's more of a chance?

Maybe or maybe not. Perhaps they don't want to make a comment that could be interpreted as as a commitment, when they have no plans. Wait and see I guess.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Even if available, I don't know that it makes economic sense to upgrade considering the price of the other 480gb OWC SSDs. How much could you sell your MBA for and what would a refurb 512gb MBA cost?

I sold my 256gb 2011 MBA and upgraded to a 512gb 2013 MBA. :)

gpeden

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Orrrrrrrr,,,,,,,

Follow my lead and suffer the regret for oh,,,, about 10-11 months, sell it, and then buy the next year's model with more storage :)

Cheers!
Glen

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I like OWC but I heard too many stories about their Aura SSD's failing. I'll just buy a larger OEM drive on eBay when I need the space. It's not like they can get any faster than they already are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.