Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
The CUDA driver 5.5.28 download link has finally been updated and made available. I know for some time people haven't been able to find this:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-5.5.28-driver.html

Has anyone with a GTX 680 for Mac upgraded to OS X 10.9 yet? Any issues to report or problems with drivers? Holding off for a bit on the Mac Pro, but laptop has been fine with it so far.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^^OpenCL is working with the Mac drivers in Mavericks. Nvidia has not issued it's Web drivers yet.

Lou

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
What did I miss. EVGA GTX 680 mac.

I just installed an EVGA GTX 680 Mac GPU in my 2010 3.33GHz - 6-coreMac Pro 5,1. It doesn't seam any faster that the Stock Apple GPU. Installed latest drivers from the NVIDIA web site since the EVGA drivers would not work with 10.8.5. I have to say the install was easy and it has been very quiet but is there something else I have to turn on to make this GPU run like what I saw on the test charts.

Have been running it with VectorWorks 2014 previewing old projects using Renderworks (Cinema 4D) and Photoshop. The only thing I can say is the NVIDIA web driver seams faster than the OS X Default driver.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I just installed an EVGA GTX 680 Mac GPU in my 2010 3.33GHz - 6-coreMac Pro 5,1. It doesn't seam any faster that the Stock Apple GPU. Installed latest drivers from the NVIDIA web site since the EVGA drivers would not work with 10.8.5. I have to say the install was easy and it has been very quiet but is there something else I have to turn on to make this GPU run like what I saw on the test charts.

Have been running it with VectorWorks 2014 previewing old projects using Renderworks (Cinema 4D) and Photoshop. The only thing I can say is the NVIDIA web driver seams faster than the OS X Default driver.

Do you have a dual-boot OS or any local clones that could "accidentally" be booted into? Sometimes double-checking the target startup disc in those cases makes all the difference.

Also, do you have the original card installed in addition to the GTX 680, or are you solely using the GTX 680?

----------

^^^^^OpenCL is working with the Mac drivers in Mavericks. Nvidia has not issued it's Web drivers yet.

Lou

Thanks - likely going to be holding out until the 10.9.1 or 10.9.2 availability before I install on the MacPro. Hopefully by then any kinks are worked out. Only issue with 10.9 on MacBookPro so far is all Apple Mail related, but nothing so major that I'm not using it.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
bsbeamer,
No, only 10.8.5 Mac OS. Also I have removed the Stock Apple-ATI-5770 since I have a Velocity Solo X2 (Samsung 1TB EVO) and a CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 stuffed in the other slots.
I am also holding out until the software catches up. I am going to spend on updating my software. Adobe CS and my cad software instead of a new MP.
Bob

Do you have a dual-boot OS or any local clones that could "accidentally" be booted into? Sometimes double-checking the target startup disc in those cases makes all the difference.

Also, do you have the original card installed in addition to the GTX 680, or are you solely using the GTX 680?

----------

Thanks - likely going to be holding out until the 10.9.1 or 10.9.2 availability before I install on the MacPro. Hopefully by then any kinks are worked out. Only issue with 10.9 on MacBookPro so far is all Apple Mail related, but nothing so major that I'm not using it.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Has anyone with a 5,1 and a GTX 680 for Mac upgraded to 10.9.1 yet? I'm still on 10.8 on the MacPro and looking to upgrade soon. Wondering if there's anything out of the ordinary to be aware of so far... Would like to continue to get more life out of this machine and keep up to date.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Has anyone with a 5,1 and a GTX 680 for Mac upgraded to 10.9.1 yet? I'm still on 10.8 on the MacPro and looking to upgrade soon. Wondering if there's anything out of the ordinary to be aware of so far... Would like to continue to get more life out of this machine and keep up to date.

A 3,1 with a 680 and I've not noticed any difference. 10.9.2 will probably be the one to watch more carefully next when they merge the nMP fork with the rest of OSX.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
I found that the Web drivers constantly gave my Graphics Kernel crashes when using FCP X, and iMovie.

I try them each time a new version is out, and each them I get the same result.
Smooth sailing with the OS X drivers though. Maybe with 10.9 things will be better.
Unfortunately, even OS X 10.11 lacks drivers for for Maxwell GPUs.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^That's been known in the community for quite some time now. The Web Drivers are the only answer here. I use them without incident. Most of us are waiting for Web Drivers that support the Pascal architecture.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.