Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mavericks_server_icon.jpg
Apple today released VPN Update for Mavericks Server, addressing an issue with certain L2TP VPN connections.
This update fixes an issue that could prevent L2TP VPN connections from working with OS X Server, as described in http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5313

This update requires OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 and Server 3.0.1.

Note: the update will only install if you have already launched Server app and used it to set up services.
The issue has been a major problem for a number of users, as reflected by over two-thirds of reviewers giving the 3.0.1 version of OS X Server a one-star rating in the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Releases Software Update for VPN Issues on Mavericks Server

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
How about addressing the VPN issue with OS 10.9 and ARD, ARD can't stay connected longer than 30 seconds over VPN and Mavericks causes your VPN to reconnect over and over.

Maltz

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
We're doing some testing already and this update doesn't seem to fix much...standby...

Yeah, I can't test very thoroughly yet, but it doesn't seem to have fixed anything for me. I suppose it's worth noting that the just-released-to-developers 10.9.2 update also says it include fixes for VPN issues. Maybe this is only half of the fix? Still, VERY frustrating.

Voch

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2006
Works for me...

Works for me. Looks like it replaced /usr/sbin/racoon (the file on my machine is dated today). I was using the /usr/sbin/racoon workaround so I rebooted just to make sure it was using the new one.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Just finished updating my VM to mavericks with server 3.0.1. One thing to note, the update is just a separate update but everything seems to be working. In fact I bleieve VPN is now actually more reliable than in Mountain Lion. Don't get random "authentication failed" when connecting and it might be in my head but it seems to connect faster.

Last edited:

ZOZO

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
About time. I fixed it awhile ago by replacing the racoon binary with the one from mountain lion, but it's nice to have the updated version. I'd assume it's more secure, as that's its purpose. :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
How about addressing the VPN issue with OS 10.9 and ARD, ARD can't stay connected longer than 30 seconds over VPN and Mavericks causes your VPN to reconnect over and over.

So I'm not the only one experiencing that...

Apple Remote Desktop took a huge step back with Mavericks - it's no better than stock VNC now, quality-wise. And since the last update (which purportedly only affected Mail) my connections last about 30 seconds and then stop working. Nothing's changed with my OpenVPN server during that period.

cmanderson

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
Works for me. Looks like it replaced /usr/sbin/racoon (the file on my machine is dated today). I was using the /usr/sbin/racoon workaround so I rebooted just to make sure it was using the new one.

I had the racoon workaround, updated to 10.9.1 which broke VPN, then this update comes out and it's back to working again.

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004

Yes, we've reached the same conclusion (and updated our tutorial on it.) Nice to have an official fix.

TXAppleUser

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2011
Texas
Works for me. IT'S ABOUT TIME! That PPTP work-around with setting up open directory was terrible. I'm glad Apple finally fixed the issue.

Maltz

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
Yeah, I can't test very thoroughly yet, but it doesn't seem to have fixed anything for me. I suppose it's worth noting that the just-released-to-developers 10.9.2 update also says it include fixes for VPN issues. Maybe this is only half of the fix? Still, VERY frustrating.

Update: The update itself didn't fix the problems I was having, but I've since uninstalled and reinstalled the server app, and all is now well. Finally. :)

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I get an "authentication failed" message about 1/3 of the time when connecting, but it (usually) works fine if I try it again seconds later with the same username, password, and shared secret.

I see a couple other people above are having this problem, as well. But this is an improvement, isn't it? I thought before it apparently couldn't even connect to the L2TP server, like the machine wasn't even running one--now it at least can, even though it seems to randomly reject the authentication at times.

Hopefully they'll fix this remaining problem soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.