Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mac_pro_2013_rear-250x391.jpg
With the new Mac Pro in the hands of reviewers for more than a day now, the first impressions focused on performance are being published and they are impressive.

FCP.co posted a 24-hour hands on with the new Mac Pro. They found read speeds of 880MB/s from the Mac Pro's solid state storage, with impressive write numbers of 985.5MB/s. Further, the team discovered that new machine could post full 4K video with multiple color corrections, effects and transitions playing back all in real time.

Macworld saw even more impressive SSD performance, with Black Magic reporting 952.8MB/s writes and 920.5MB/s reads. Black Magic's speed test app reports that the new Mac Pro can easily handle all video formats it currently tracks, with FCP.co adding that its Mac Pro was able to play back 16 simultaneous streams of 4K video.

On overall performance, FCP.co writes:
I can quite honestly say that, despite working with these huge file sizes and frame sizes, the editing experience has been silky smooth. Skimming, playback, shuttling, jogging and trimming are all responsive. In fact, editing 4K on the Mac Pro feels like editing HD on my current MacBook Pro - except I can see large numbers for the frame sizes where normally I'd expect to see the reassuringly familiar "1920x1080".
They went on to push the machine by adding real-time effects to a 4K stream to see the breaking point.
I started slowly, adding a simple Dry Heat look. That played back in real time, no dropped frames. How about a Gaussian Blur? That's usually a bit more intensive, especially with the huge numbers of pixels we're dealing with here. No dropped frames. Nice. How about a Gaussian blur with a Bleach Bypass look? Still in real time... ok, let's get serious...

And so it went on... Multiple colour corrections, effects, transitions. This thing keeps playing back! In fact at one point I took a RED RAW 4K clip into a 4K project and just started working through the list of video effects (many of which are 4K ready). Watch the result for yourself.
Back in September, GeekBench scores for the new 8-core 3.0Ghz Mac Pro appeared, giving the unit a single- and multi-core scores of 3349 and 24429. Now, on production hardware, Macworld got scores of 3599 and 25997, a modest improvement.

Both Macworld and FCP.co mentioned a gentle but notable current of warm air rising from the machine, but that the Mac Pro's fan was barely noticeable. If something is placed on top of the machine's vent hole, like a book, the Mac Pro will shut itself off before any damage can occur.

The new Mac Pro is available for order now, but shipments are not expected until well into the new year. An Apple spokesperson said yesterday that "demand for the all new Mac Pro is great and it will take time before supply catches up with demand".

Article Link: New Mac Pro: Simultaneous Real-Time 4K Effect Rendering, +900MB/s Read/Write

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
I wish I could find an excuse for myself so that I could buy this machine... Sadly I don't do anything I can't do on my MBP... :(

doronbt

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
FCP? Really?

Keep playing with FCPX, but when you really need to edit something do it on a real editing software (Avid Media Composer anyone?)

Apple are trying to convince us that the Mac Pro is a Pro, although we all know it's just a Mac...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Keep playing with FCPX, but when you really need to edit something do it on a real editing software (Avid Media Composer anyone?)

Apple are trying to convince us that the Mac Pro is a Pro, although we all know it's just a Mac...

You're right, no one on the planet uses FCP, and nothing about this is impressive in any way whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Explain to me what separates your "real" editing from the pros that happen to use a different program that the one you prefer?

Not to mention that the onus to optimize software is on the developers end/

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
There's nothing you can do on this Mac Pro that you can't do on a 14th generation iPad Air.

But Apple won't release the 14th generation iPad Air, because they want to sucker the pros into buying this now.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Impressive. It really is a neato machine, but unfortunately the lack of expandability in the long tern ruins it for me.

But I wouldn't say no if someone were to buy it me. I could use it as an ashtray too.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
My main complaint is that you can't swap out the "cards" to upgrade. It seems that they will probably keep the design the same, and just upgrade the internals. If you could just swap GPU's, or swap the CPU/motherboard without having to replace the whole system it would be a lot nicer.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
No mention of what spec the machine was they were using?

From the comments: "3.0GHz 8-core Intel Xeon with 25MB of L3 cache (there is a 12 core BTO), 64GB (4 x 16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC RAM (maxed out), 1TB PCIe-based flash storage (largest available) and Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each"

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!

You look that up on the Internet?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Impressive. It really is a neato machine, but unfortunately the lack of expandability in the long tern ruins it for me.

But I wouldn't say no if someone were to buy it me. I could use it as an ashtray too.

Man these comments keep getting more and more original. How do you all think of such novel things to say?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.