Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whomwonders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I was walking with it and it fell flat boom on it's face. I went to pick it up and it was cracked, at the top you can see inside. I still should have warranty but this is a very good item, and I hate wasting things? any suggestions? will apple fix it for free, if not how much. Get back to me soon, Joseph. :mad:

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
What iPod are we talking about?

Unless you jumped out a window to save someone, or have some heroic story to go along with the cracked screen your SOL. Your going to have to pay this out of pocket.

I can't tell you what this is going to cost you because I don't know what iPod we are talking about. :p

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I was walking with it and it fell flat boom on it's face. I went to pick it up and it was cracked, at the top you can see inside. I still should have warranty but this is a very good item, and I hate wasting things? any suggestions? will apple fix it for free, if not how much. Get back to me soon, Joseph. :mad:

It's between £79-129 if you're in the UK and get it fixed at an Apple Store.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
Expensive repairs.

Well dropped my ipod5 from less than one metre, fell face down, screen all cracked and broken up with a mixture of long and short cracks loose pieces etc - still works if you dont mind feeling the loose pieces moving nder your fingers. Belkin cover doesn't sit high enough above the screen to protect it and not thick enough to absorb bump. Quote to fix everywhere from $216-$270 Australian which is more han half what the thing cost to purchase in the first place. Not very impressed with the brittleness of the glass and the outrageous cost to replace :-(

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
That's now it, it's now it drops. I've dropped my old iPods very high up and no problem at all, but my daughter dropped hers from a few feet and it cracked.

My daughters I just put a screen protector on it and she just fine with it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
That is why you have to use a good case for these things.

At the end of the day, if a screen breaks by the fault of you dropping it, it's YOUR fault. You can argue that it shouldn't break by just falling an inch away, but that's how it works.

You hit a window with a tiny small object, and it'll shatter entirely. You drop an iPhone, iPod, or any device with a glass screen, and the thing gets destroyed in an instant. It's like a driving ad I heard a few years ago - 40 MPH and if you hit a person crossing the street, they'll most likely break a few bones, but at 50 MPH, it's a whole other story.

Keep it in your pocket and don't carry it loosely in your hands around the house. I lost my two iPhones that way, I dropped them both at the same spot. ;)

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Well dropped my ipod5 from less than one metre, fell face down, screen all cracked and broken up with a mixture of long and short cracks loose pieces etc - still works if you dont mind feeling the loose pieces moving nder your fingers. Belkin cover doesn't sit high enough above the screen to protect it and not thick enough to absorb bump. Quote to fix everywhere from $216-$270 Australian which is more han half what the thing cost to purchase in the first place. Not very impressed with the brittleness of the glass and the outrageous cost to replace :-(

It's glass, it breaks. It's not the iPod's fault.

I don't know where you're getting those prices are. Apple charge between $109AU and $159AU depending on the capacity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.