Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_icon-250x249.jpg
Apple has seeded a new build of iOS 7.1 to its "testing partners" or carriers, reports BGR, with a public release of the software set to come in March. A March launch of iOS 7.1 would mark more than four months of testing, as the first iOS 7.1 beta was seeded to developers in mid-November. iOS 7.1 beta 2, the version currently available to developers, was released in mid-December.

Lengthy development periods are not unheard of - before Mavericks, OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion was tested over a period of three months, from June to September.

The current version of iOS, iOS 7.0.4, was released on November 14. If an iOS 7.1 release is not planned until March, it is likely that Apple will release iOS 7.0.5 in the interim, though MacRumors has seen no sign of the software in recent logs. iOS updates frequently, though not always, show up in our site analytics.

As the first major update to iOS 7 since its launch, iOS 7.1 is expected to include multiple bug fixes along with new accessibility options in the form of "Button Shapes" and potential support for iOS in the Car. Given the minor updates bundled into iOS 7.1, it is unclear why such a lengthy testing period is necessary. Last year, Apple released its iOS 6.1 update in January, though its iOS 5.1 update also came in March in 2012.
Apple has begun seeding a new build of iOS 7.1 to testing partners, we have learned from a trusted source. iOS 7.1 beta 3 is said to bring several important bug fixes in addition to some new features, though our source was uncomfortable detailing these for us at this time.
While BGR has made accurate predictions on iOS 7 launch dates ahead of the software's final release, the site also made a few erroneous predictions.

Article Link: iOS 7.1 Launching in March Following Lengthy Testing Period?

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
I doubt it. It'll come sooner as it fixes a lot if crashes for the A7 processors.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
Well maybe there is hope then.

Long time to wait but people are saying the current 7.1 beta doesn't fix the memory issues that crash Safari with large web pages, switching tabs or when commenting on a long Disqus thread.

Maybe they will fix the serious memory management bugs by then.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
iOS in the car needing extra testing with partners would make sense. Hoping we see some good aftermarket integration with iOS in the car at CES.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
"it is unclear why such a lengthy testing period is necessary"

Because iOS 7 is buggy as *****.

I love Apple, but I've been underwhelmed by iOS 7 overall. The Music app in particular is terrible. It's missing features that the previous version had and I feel like I run into a new bug every time I use it.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Wow. Another 3 months with a buggy user experience? 2 iPhone 5S' and an iPad Air here. All 3 frequently crash. Going to lose a lot of confidence in Apple if they don't fix this before then. We've already been dealing with the crashes for 2 months, and earlier versions had iMessage problems. In the last 6 months Apple has had a ton of SW issues. 10.8.5 rollout, Apple TV update, iOS 7 (iMessages, crashes), bought a new Retina 13" MBP and the keyboard would randomly stop working, Mail app is still kinda sucky and slow on Mavericks...Haven't had a good UI with Apple products lately. This will make almost HALF of the iPhone 5S' year at the top a crash prone mess.

johnnyrb

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
Lengthy testing period? The current version is loaded with bugs. The latest version of OS X and the OS for Apple TV are both loaded with bugs. Who beta tests this software before it's released?

advancewarsbest

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
I have been enjoying 7.0.whatever its on a lot, i really have been enjoying all of the new features and have yet to find a single bug.

I highly recommend everyone doing a clean install of iOS7,
its easier than ever since once you login with your apple ID and you can redownload all old apps and resync with itunes it doesnt take too much time.

Some issues can be fixed by turning off your phone for a minute and then turning it back on.

Last edited:

kdhoe

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Belgium
I think it will be released at the end of January (like 6.1 last year). Beta 2 is already very stable.

Last edited:

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
So far, Beta 2 doesn't fix the bug where my iPhone 5 dies anywhere between 10% and 40% of battery life, and the Apple Store said my battery was fine and I shouldn't worry...........

A lot of people on the internet are plagued with this problem in iOS 7 and up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.