Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OpenEmu 1.0, an open source project designed to bring game emulation to OS X, has officially launched following a lengthy beta testing period. Though there are other emulator options for OS X, OpenEmu has been designed from the ground up for OS X.

openemu.jpg
For the first time, the 'It just works' philosophy now extends to open source video game emulation on the Mac. With OpenEmu, it is extremely easy to add, browse, organize and with a compatible gamepad, play those favorite games (ROMs) you already own.
OpenEmu is able to emulate the hardware of several different consoles, including several 16-bit systems like the Game Boy, GameBoy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, NeoGeo Pocket, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo, among others.

The emulator features a native OS X interface with a design that mirrors iTunes, offering up ROMs in a unified card-style menu organized by system. OpenEmu includes full save state support, allowing multiple ROMs to be played at once, and it also provides OpenGL scaling, multithreaded playback, and gamepad support.

Multiple controllers are supported, including console controllers from Nintendo, Xbox, and PlayStation, along with gamepads from Gravis, Logitech, and more.

OpenEmu can currently be downloaded from the OpenEmu website for free. [Direct Download Link] [Experimental Download, Extra Beta Consoles]

Article Link: OS X Console Emulator 'OpenEmu 1.0' Launches

Atomic Wasp

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
fyi. clicking the link does not take you to the website as implied but immediately starts download the app
The link is introduced with "OpenEmu can currently be downloaded…", so there is no surprise that the link will download the app. Thanks for the warning though.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Anyone have recommendations on the best gamepad to pair with, say SNES/Gameboy games? I'd prefer to buy one for all and I'd guess I'll probably stick to games on these consoles....

This looks cool!

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
No N64 or PS1 yet, but this is by far the best emulator that I've ever seen in my life. Continue the great work !

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Anyone have recommendations on the best gamepad to pair with, say SNES/Gameboy games? I'd prefer to buy one for all and I'd guess I'll probably stick to games on these consoles....

This looks cool!

I've been using my PS3 controller, not too bad! Even used it to play Zelda 64 (different emulator of course).

psharp

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
I've been using the self compiled version for a while. This is really an excellent piece of software, they've taken emulators to a new level that goes far beyond anything else available out there.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I've been using my PS3 controller, not too bad! Even used it to play Zelda 64 (different emulator of course).

I've always hated PS controllers....my hands are too used to the xbox360 controllers haha.....though I've read the xbox360 controllers work and are pretty simple to set up.

I was thinking simple gamepad - are there any classic NES or SNES usb gamepads that are compatible with the mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.