Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Have you tried this lately? The 8.10 patch absolutely destroys my framerate on some maps. Mostly it's fine, and I'm getting variable 50-100 fps, but on some maps it's terrible. Malinovka, for example, when I turn the camera towards the lake I get less than 20 fps. It's unplayable like that.

I was trying hard not to spend any more money on this, but the developers have made it pretty easy to quit, now that some of the maps that come up in rotation are like a slideshow.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Have you tried this lately? The 8.10 patch absolutely destroys my framerate on some maps. Mostly it's fine, and I'm getting variable 50-100 fps, but on some maps it's terrible. Malinovka, for example, when I turn the camera towards the lake I get less than 20 fps. It's unplayable like that.

I was trying hard not to spend any more money on this, but the developers have made it pretty easy to quit, now that some of the maps that come up in rotation are like a slideshow.

I've not tried the beta. That does not sound good. I'm getting a pretty steady 120 fps. I'll report back after 8.10 is released.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I've not tried the beta. That does not sound good. I'm getting a pretty steady 120 fps. I'll report back after 8.10 is released.

It was released today (at least it was here in England). Still only runs on one core of the CPU, apparently. It's very badly optimised.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It was released today (at least it was here in England). Still only runs on one core of the CPU, apparently. It's very badly optimised.

This is what I experienced, cranked up 10.9 today, without looking at the new settings, clicked yes, yes, default, etc and when I started my first game my frame rate was 1/2 of what it used to be. What the hell?, I moaned. Instead of 127, I was getting 50-67. It turns out that when I revisited my settings, they had been changed to "maximum". It was hard to tell because my battle was on one of those winter maps without waving grass. Went, back reset to what I normally have "standard graphics" with some things turned up to high and now I'm back to 127 frames.

Could this of been what happened to you?

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I've left it on maximum - I've got two graphics cards, I should be able to run this game without turning anything down.

Seems that the big problem is the new Otsu Japanese tank. Tier 1 matches have about 25 of them per game at the moment, and something about the model makes it slow down very badly. If I avoid tier 1 I stay at a decent framerate.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I've left it on maximum - I've got two graphics cards, I should be able to run this game without turning anything down.

Seems that the big problem is the new Otsu Japanese tank. Tier 1 matches have about 25 of them per game at the moment, and something about the model makes it slow down very badly. If I avoid tier 1 I stay at a decent framerate.

Historically, the Japanese WWII tanks were pretty bad. How are they in the game ?

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Historically, the Japanese WWII tanks were pretty bad. How are they in the game ?

The game's performance was so bad with the free Otsu tank, I couldn't really tell how good it was. The turret moves very slowly. I died a lot.

I've got rid of it now, and haven't had any more of the framerate problems so far. Don't think I'll be going back to the Japanese tanks.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The game's performance was so bad with the free Otsu tank, I couldn't really tell how good it was. The turret moves very slowly. I died a lot.

I've got rid of it now, and haven't had any more of the framerate problems so far. Don't think I'll be going back to the Japanese tanks.

The Chinese Medium Tank line is pretty good. Currently working the Tier 6 T-34-1.

ArthurWellsley

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
London
Chinese Tanks

Very bouncy, nice sloped armour, fast, good brawlers, guns are not accurate, cannot snipe, no gun depression, poor vision.

Japanese Tanks

Accurate guns, paper armour, never bounce, large shilouette, rubbish camo value, insanely good gun depression, medium pace, although with top engines tend to climb hills well, good vision.

Tier VII medium is an oddity as it's the only tier VII medium with an auto loader. (the american line of auto loaders has the T71 light scout at tier VII, before turning to a medium at tier VIII, similarly the amx 13 75 at tier VII is a light).

Both Nations are fun, but in very different ways.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
i am getting close to the porsche tiger t7

I found that I made a big mistake going with the Tiger P. Yes, it has more armor, but it also has a dozen weak spots on the front of the tank which in many situations mitigates the extra armor, plus I prefer the flow of the Tiger, to Tiger II ending with the E100 vs ending up with the Maus (Tiger P line) a very slow tank. I believe the E100 is more fun to play. What I have done is I moved laterally from the Tiger P to the Tiger. I kept the Tiger and am accumulating points to grab the Ferdinand TD. Maybe I'll reconsider and get the next tank following the Tiger P, the VK whatever. ;)

Chinese Tanks

Very bouncy, nice sloped armour, fast, good brawlers, guns are not accurate, cannot snipe, no gun depression, poor vision.

Japanese Tanks

Accurate guns, paper armour, never bounce, large shilouette, rubbish camo value, insanely good gun depression, medium pace, although with top engines tend to climb hills well, good vision.

Tier VII medium is an oddity as it's the only tier VII medium with an auto loader. (the american line of auto loaders has the T71 light scout at tier VII, before turning to a medium at tier VIII, similarly the amx 13 75 at tier VII is a light).

Both Nations are fun, but in very different ways.

I've been quite happy with the Chinese 5-7 Mediums. :)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I saw one of those nation vs nation battles earlier. I was in a British AT-15 against a US team. All the tanks were matched evenly, tiers 5-8, and we wiped the floor with them.

They've got rid of the sniper medal - I liked that one. The replacement for it seems much harder to get.

Xbox 360 version is out now, too.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Version 9.0 came out this last week. All the tanks are now in high def with a corresponding hit in frames. I'm not sure, but the maps like like they are high def too. I dropped my graphic settings to low to keep 120fps. I don't like tall grass, tank tracks, or waving trees, so it works well for me.

I'm irritated that they have not come out with penetration skins for 9.0 yet. That makes it very handy to know where to shoot.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Not all the tanks are in HD sadly. My beloved TOG II is still normal.

The FPS did take a hit though, and there is a bug where the game doesn't properly recognise your GPU so tanks performance.

That said though, it looks amazing with literally Everything maxed out on my new system.

Sadly they haven't implemented their new super physics patch yet either, so that will probably affect performance as well.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not all the tanks are in HD sadly. My beloved TOG II is still normal.

The FPS did take a hit though, and there is a bug where the game doesn't properly recognise your GPU so tanks performance.

That said though, it looks amazing with literally Everything maxed out on my new system.

Sadly they haven't implemented their new super physics patch yet either, so that will probably affect performance as well.

That explains why some of the old hit-box skins still work and some don't. I live and die by those skins. ;)

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
That explains why some of the old hit-box skins still work and some don't. I live and die by those skins. ;)

Yup, some mods don't work either. The XVM overlay and info mod can apparently cause black screens now :/

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yup, some mods don't work either. The XVM overlay and info mod can apparently cause black screens now :/

One thing I'm liking about WOT are all of these bonus xp programs (or whatever they are called) that throws out any where from 25-100k xp. I've been playing for 1.5 years and I want to say this is something that was not around when I first started.

Regarding XVM I looked at it a while back but could not find adequate documentation on how to configure it. I wanted to see player stats and it's projection of win/loss. One less thing to miss?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.