Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
One of the things I hate the most about this HD revolution is that before all this 1080p stuff I was able to buy 24 inch size monitors that support a 1900 x 1200 quite easily.

Now thanks to "HD" they push this standard down our throats and we lose out the resolution we should be getting.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is not the thread to try to disprove the concept of HD video. You'd be crazy.
The iPhone 4S is even worse, with a pixel count of 960 x 640 , you can't watch high definition videos on that. A retina display is not going to help that fact. And with 1136 x 640, you still don't have enough resolution to make it high definition. It would help if people stopped trying to confuse others with the whole retina nonsense. If it's not high definition, it's not high definition. End of discussion.
What would actually ultimately help is to stop trying to convince people that the fact that HD can't technically be applied to the iPhone's screen really has any impact on anything. It simply doesn't. Now, that actually does essentially complete the discussion (which really happened many posts ago when all of this has already been pointed out and discussed fairly well).

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
What would actually ultimately help is to stop trying to convince people that the fact that HD can't technically be applied to the iPhone's screen really has any impact on anything. It simply doesn't. Now, that actually does essentially complete the discussion (which really happened many posts ago when all of this has already been pointed out and discussed fairly well).

It might not have an effect on anything,

But the more people that know true information, and that is not being misled by false information, the better. I would just like for people to stop trying to convince everybody that the retina display on the iPhone is equivalent to a high definition display.

This thread has been an eye opener for me and many others.

Thank you,
Goodnight

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Who is really bothered about the technicalities of having a HD screen on their phone? If I want a HD screen i'll watch my tv. The screen on the i5 is plenty good enough to watch media and for general use. Arguing about this is a waste of thought.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Retina is a Marketing term and HD is also Marketing term. The question is which term is more meaningful to the consumer. I’d argue that Retina is a fundamentally superior concept because it is a direct measurement of perceived optical clarity, while HD is indirect. HD only evaluates one aspect of image quality.
Labeling a product as RD is enough to tell me that the image will be of high fidelity without getting into a complex analysis of viewing distance, resolution, sub pixels and screen size.
I will concede that the RD definition is slightly too optimistic. 1Arc/Min is fine for the majority of users, but edge cases require a higher value. Images still require adequate anti-aliasing of text to remain sharp, and the arc measurement should be made at the furthest distance between pixel centers (diagonally). It is still far more meaningful then the nebulous “HD”.

In essence, Retina is BETTER than HD

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It might not have an effect on anything,

But the more people that know true information, and that is not being misled by false information, the better. I would just like for people to stop trying to convince everybody that the retina display on the iPhone is equivalent to a high definition display.

This thread has been an eye opener for me and many others.

Thank you,
Goodnight
I'm not really sure there was any false information to begin with. Apple hasn't really been calling the iPhone screen an HD screen, and no else has really been doing that (short of perhaps some random users on the internet, which really doesn't say much one way or another).

As for whether a display is equivalent to an HD display, whether or not that display is actually called an HD display, would in fact be a slightly different discussion than simply "is that display HD or not". A whole lot more would go into that than simply resolution, which is essentially the only thing that defines HD these days, and on at least some level that comparison would be subjective.

So, is an iPhone display an HD display? No, technically it's not. Is the quality of the iPhone display on par with what would be considered HD quality? Yes, for the most part it essentially is--at least there's practically no difference to a vast majority of users under most typical circumstances. This is what the whole discussion in this thread (and others like it) ultimately sums up to.

Iphull

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
People in this generation seem so spoiled. Go back 20 years ago or live in a tent in remote areas on Earth and you wouldn't care how many pixels were on the screen. Just being able to call someone without being tethered to a wall or reading/learning about any subject in the world or playing games other than a circle eating dots or any of the hundreds of other things you can do with it, you'd accept it if it was only in black and white. We have more today than the richest kings of kings had centuries ago and we're complaining about the hue being slightly off or the picture isn't as crisp clear as others (WHICH, by the way, you would never know without comparing it with another display or reading about it). Why can't we be happy with what we have?

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
HD only stands for any screen that goes beyond a certain resolution, regardless of screen size. This is meaningless as it doesn't take screen size into account at all. If you had a 1080p screen measuring 100 inches diagonal, it would have terrible sharpness. Yes, it's 1080p (ahem... pardon me. "True HD" I mean.) but the huge screen size means it's stretching all those pixels onto a large surface area, at the cost of sharpness.

Screen resolution relative to size (PPI) is a lot more meaningful in terms of picture quality as it directly relates to how sharp the image will be. The more tightly packed the pixels, the better the sharpness and clarity.

For the iPhone, its current pixel density is more than enough.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
You guys want an True HD screen then the iphone display is going to have to bigger. There is not reason for the 4 inch iphone 5 to go any higher you can not see the difference. If you want that HD then you are wishing for a Note II in iphone style. You will need a screen that big for it to matter.

dduttonnc

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Dupe post

----------

What really matter is the PPI (pixels per inch) since that compares the resolution to the screen size. When looking at the PPI the iPhone screen is much better then the S3. Just looking at resolution is misleading.

I dont totally agree

Just do I don't get flamed in not a droid fan. I can't stand the droid is and GUI. I've had iPhones since the 1. iPads since the 1.. And Apple TVs. I've also had Mac computers but I prefer my OS as Windows. ONLY because there's more games. I love OS X. The day I can get any game for windows available on osx is the day I delete the Win 8.1 hard drive (my pc dual boots osx and 8.1)

Anyway. Yes the ppi of the later iPhones make for a sharp crisp picture

But if u have a 720p video and a 1080p, it's a waste of space putting the 1080p on the phone. It will just scaled down to 640p. So I say stick to 720 only unless 1080 is the only option you have.

The larger the screen, the higher res you need to avoid seeing pixels and mpg compression.

But I have a friend with 5" droid phone that's 1080p that's 440ppi. And I notice a HUGE difference. It can play 1080p natively and the screen crispness is FAR better than my 5s

My eyes can see the diff bet 3xxppi of the iPhone 5s and 440pi of the droid. Apple likes go say "you won't notice any better" yet people do. Us Apple people can b just as guild as being fanboys just like droid or windows etc people. I take ANYTHING companies say with a grain of salt.

I can say right now if they upped the screen Rez on the 5s to TRUE 1920x1080 crammed into a 4" screen, you would see a HECK of a better video quality, and better a around detail

So I don't by it.

Tbh I believe it's a COST reason. Apple could easily put a real 1080p screen into its phones but they would all cost 200$ more. It's a marketing decision and a profit decision balanced with screen quality. They picked a cost efficient screen size with a quality people like BUT then say "you wouldn't notice anything better anyway" CRAP! That statement I'd not true

They should just vs honest. Say we could do true 1080 or 720, but the cost will be passed to you

That droid phone I saw had an amazing screen but that was Bout it. Crap gpu and CPU power. So they cut other corners to make a phone for making calls and watching video but lacking in every other way.
My friends phone is a HTC 5" with a true 1920x1080 pixel Rez at 440 ppi.

Now let's look at an iPad 3,4, or 5
2048x1536. That's beyond 1080p on a 4:3 screen. That's actually 2560x1600 in 16:10. And that's beyond 1920x1080 for 16x9 (in 16:10 it'd be 1920x1200).

It's ppi is only 264. But movies look a LOT better only iPad vs my iPhone.

Where Apple lacks on it's devices is MEMORY. I mean RAM. Apple has never put in enough.

iOS 7 on a 5/5s. The max an app can use is 512Mb. Same on a 4s. On a 4, you have only 150-200MB for use

One thing droids do is ALL use a page file. Not too big to slow things down but so your apps don't get shut. On my ipad5 or 5s. After 2 Apps, the is starts killing my apps. If Apple enabled the iOS swap file service. Background apps would be swapped out vs terminated. And the argument it would kill the life of the ssd was lost ages ago. It does reduce the life, but the phones life will still end first.

If Apple wants it's devices to REALLY be the best, it needs to do a few tweaks:

1) 128-256MB swap file for phones and 256-512 for tablets
2) increase RAM. 1.5GB for phones, 2 for tablets.

The above would let ios take 512MB and leave 1GB for apps. Then give a use an additional 128-512 swap space so apps get suspended vs terminated (to a point)

I no longer jailbreak. But I did JB my iPhone 5s on iOS 7.0. And added a 512MB swap file. MUCH better performance. Games and apps were much smoother b/c the OS didn't have to think what process to kill. Games didn't get the low memory warning from iOS and jitter while they few up ram. Droids have done this for years

Screen Rez
If Apple wants go stay competitive, they need 440ppi screens on their phones (tablets are already as high as needed). No need to up their tablets as they are ready beyond the highest HD resolution. I'm not bothering with 4K.

Last edited:

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Dupe post

----------

I no longer jailbreak. But I did JB my iPhone 5s on iOS 7.0. And added a 512MB swap file. MUCH better performance. Games and apps were much smoother b/c the OS didn't have to think what process to kill. Games didn't get the low memory warning from iOS and jitter while they few up ram. Droids have done this for years

Interesting. Any tutorials on how to do this?

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
But if u have a 720p video and a 1080p, it's a waste of space putting the 1080p on the phone. It will just scaled down to 640p. So I say stick to 720 only unless 1080 is the only option you have.

I didn't read most of your post, but this caught my eye, probably because it is totally wrong. The device should be capable of scaling directly, without some lower intermediate resolution. Today's devices can scale about anything to anything, and look good doing it. Have you ever watched ESPN on a 1080p TV? Yeah, you're scaling 720 to 1080 somewhere, either the box, TV, or video processor.

At this point, all the screens have more than enough resolution, so other factors are more important in a phone. The iPhone obviously has a huge advantage in it's physical form factor, but the resolution of the screen on any of the modern top end devices isn't that much different from any other device.

Riddick187

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
iPhone 5/5s and iPhone 6 Play FULL 1080P HD MP4 file

"The iPhone 5 does not have a HD Screen" was one of the first criticisms I saw of the iPhone 5 - closely followed by the assertion that Android phones like the GS3 and One X do, but the iPhone 5 doesn't.

I don't understand what this means? Can someone explain?

I thought the iPhone 5 had a 16:9 aspect ratio with "retina" ppi? Is this not HD? In which case, what is? What is the downside to it not being HD?

Clarification appreciated! :)

Well if anyone doesn't know yet. The iPhone 5/5s iPad mini and iPhone 6 plus by default receive the 720p file from Apple from iTunes movie purchases.. To get the FULL 1080P HD file into your APPLE device... I figured it out 6 months ago.. in iTunes changes preferences from 720p download to 1080p download... Apple now sends you 1080P file to your laptop... Now sync that file with your iPhone/iPad... Twice the resolution on your iPhone/iPad...... I have been telling Apple for 6 months.. The iPhone 5 has a 1080P camera.. So it can play a 1080P file.... The screen resolution WILL BLOW YOUR MINDS!!! SHARE IT WITH EVERYONE!!!

Demand apple change default download of movies from 720P to 1080P HD over Wi-Fi.. The Movie Total Recall Is 3.7 GB on Wi-Fi... Yet it is 4.5 GB with a sync with my 1080P file in my laptop... Avatar is 5.5 GB on Wi-Fi... Yet sync in FULL 1080P..... 6.5 GB..... Even my IPad mini will play 1080P file... And the screen looks likes a retina display!!! But it's not!!! I think Apple has know from Sep 2012 the iPhone 5 could play 1080P file....

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well if anyone doesn't know yet. The iPhone 5/5s iPad mini and iPhone 6 plus by default receive the 720p file from Apple from iTunes movie purchases.. To get the FULL 1080P HD file into your APPLE device... I figured it out 6 months ago.. in iTunes changes preferences from 720p download to 1080p download... Apple now sends you 1080P file to your laptop... Now sync that file with your iPhone/iPad... Twice the resolution on your iPhone/iPad...... I have been telling Apple for 6 months.. The iPhone 5 has a 1080P camera.. So it can play a 1080P file.... The screen resolution WILL BLOW YOUE MINDS!!! SHARE IT WITH EVERYONE!!!

Demand apple change default download of movies from 720P to 1080P HD over Wi-Fi.. The Movie Total Recall Is 3.7 GB on Wi-Fi... Yet it is 4.5 GB with a sync with my 1080P file in my laptop... Avatar is 5.5 GB on Wi-Fi... Yet sync in FULL 1080P..... 6.5 GB..... Even my IPad mini will play 1080P file... And the screen looks likes a retina display!!! But it's not!!! I think Apple has know from Sep 2012 the iPhone 5 could play 1080P file....
Of course 1080P content can be played, it's just that the screen isn't large enough to support it, so it would be scaled down basically.

Riddick187

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
Of course 1080P content can be played, it's just that the screen isn't large enough to support it, so it would be scaled down basically.

Yes it does... try yourself and find out... The screen went off the scale... Pixilation is GONE!!

The iPhone has a 1080 p camera. So it can store and play HIGHER HD files... I load pictures from space of galaxies... Try for yourself... Watch your JAW hit the FLOOR!!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes it does... try yourself and find out... The screen went off the scale... Pixilation is GONE!!

The iPhone has a 1080 p camera. So it can store and play HIGHER HD files... I load pictures from space of galaxies... Try for yourself... Watch your JAW hit the FLOOR!!!
As I mentioned, you can definitely view the content, it just won't be at 1080P as the screen doesn't have the number of pixels to support it and the content would need to be scaled down to fit (even though the source is 1080P).

Riddick187

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
As I mentioned, you can definitely view the content, it just won't be at 1080P as the screen doesn't have the number of pixels to support it and the content would need to be scaled down to fit (even though the source is 1080P).

Ok. Please try and prove me wrong... Apple is even looking into it... Please download 1080p file into your laptop and sync with your apple device?? What do you have iPhone/iPad? Works on my iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 plus.. And my iPad mini. I'm telling you... Try it before you say it doesn't work.. It's doesn't scale back the file... I load pic from Wikipedia of galaxies.. Some are very large files.. Largest is over 10,000x10,000 and is 79 MB.... I can't zoom that pic fuzzy... Also use 8K res pics... I can't zoom these pic fuzzy...

Download 1080p file and sync... Then look at your screen... It only adds a GB over the entire move.. Some movies are more some movies are less... PLEASE TRY and then tell me what you think of your screen.. I'm telling you it plays the full 1080P file... Can't figure out how to post this info in it's own forum...

I'm telling you your jaw will hit the FLOOR!!!!! Please update with test of your own results if you own iTunes movies...

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok. Please try and prove me wrong... Apple is even looking into it... Please download 1080p file into your laptop and sync with your apple device?? What do you have iPhone/iPad? Works on my iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 plus.. And my iPad mini. I'm telling you... Try it before you say it doesn't work.. It's doesn't scale back the file... I load pic from Wikipedia of galaxies.. Some are very large files.. Largest is over 10,000x10,000 and is 79 MB.... I can't zoom that pic fuzzy... Also use 8K res pics... I can't zoom these pic fuzzy...

Download 1080p file and sync... Then look at your screen... It only adds a GB over the entire move.. Some movies are more some movies are less... PLEASE TRY and then tell me what you think of your screen.. I'm telling you it plays the full 1080P file... Can't figure out how to post this info in it's own forum...

I'm telling you your jaw will hit the FLOOR!!!!! Please update with test of your own results if you own iTunes movies...
Yes you have 1080P content. Your phone has 640 vertical pixels to use so at most that's how much it can display as there is physically no more pixels for it to use. So you are playing back 1080P content and it looks great but it's still scaled down to fit in 640 vertical pixels as there are simply no more available physically on the 5s. That's really all there is to it.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Yes you have 1080P content. Your phone has 640 vertical pixels to use so at most that's how much it can display as there is physically no more pixels for it to use. So you are playing back 1080P content and it looks great but it's still scaled down to fit in 640 vertical pixels as there are simply no more available physically on the 5s. That's really all there is to it.

Dude, the guy is a ****ing moron that revived a 2 year old thread to spew his nonsense, stop engaging and let the thread die.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
It's a certain distance. They could increase the PPI and you would see a difference.

The graphics in these phones too should be better. I want to play something that looks like an Xbox One or better.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

This is correct, however since the quality of the source material is higher (1080p) the image that is displayed after it is downscaled will be better.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
HD only stands for any screen that goes beyond a certain resolution, regardless of screen size. This is meaningless as it doesn't take screen size into account at all. If you had a 1080p screen measuring 100 inches diagonal, it would have terrible sharpness. Yes, it's 1080p (ahem... pardon me. "True HD" I mean.) but the huge screen size means it's stretching all those pixels onto a large surface area, at the cost of sharpness.

Screen resolution relative to size (PPI) is a lot more meaningful in terms of picture quality as it directly relates to how sharp the image will be. The more tightly packed the pixels, the better the sharpness and clarity.

For the iPhone, its current pixel density is more than enough.

True, but as screen sizes get bigger you generally view it from further back. High PPI is great for phones as they are held very close to your face, when it comes to a big screen tv you can have a lower PPI due to the longer viewing distance. Having native 1080p on a phone is a big plus as you can watch full HD content without any pixel scaling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.