Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of Christmas, the evad3rs released the evasi0n jailbreak for iOS 7, allowing Apple users with newer devices like the iPhone 5s, 5c, and Retina iPad mini to jailbreak their devices for the first time to access tweaks and apps outside of the App Store.

Shortly after the jailbreak was released to the public, controversy surfaced with Cydia administrator Jay Freeman noting that evasi0n did not include an official version of Cydia, an iOS application that allows users to install software on jailbroken devices. Freeman also revealed that the jailbreak inexplicably included a third party app store called "Taig" for Chinese users.

evasi0n_ios_7.jpg
The Taig app store was quickly found to include pirated apps, prompting the evad3rs to explain their position via an open letter claiming no knowledge of the piracy and pledging to further investigate the issue.

Now the evad3rs have published a second open letter to the jailbreak community, announcing the removal of the Taig app store from the evasi0n jailbreak.
However, after investigation and after notification from the community, we found examples, including pirated tweaks, Apple App Store apps, and even pod2g's PodDJ app. We dropped the ball on this. While we at first did not believe Taig purposefully violated our agreement, the depth of the transgression against the software developers and the jailbreak community cannot be overlooked and we could not move forward after that even if it were fixed.

We terminated our relationship with them. We are very disappointed that they have decided to put up a cracked version of the jailbreak on their site that installs Taig. We did not give them any permission or source code.
Following the controversy, there were rumors that the evad3rs had accepted money from Taig for the deal, which the evad3rs now deny. "We have received no money from any group, including Taig," reads the letter. "Our donations are being given to Public Knowledge, Electronic Frontier Foundation and Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure to help protect jailbreaking as your legal right."

The evad3rs team also clarifies that no user data was obtained by Taig, and that exposure was limited to users who had their computer's language set to Chinese.

The evasi0n jailbreak, which no longer includes Taig, can be downloaded directly from the evasi0n website. Evasi0n does not include an official version of Cydia, and according to the evad3rs, they are "working hard to fix the problems with the jailbreak."

Article Link: Evad3rs Again Speak Out on 'Evasi0n' iOS 7 Jailbreak Controversy, Claim No Money Exchanged

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
No doubt the usual lot will be here to defend them shortly - but this is what happens when greed gets in the way of things.

What happened to the old jailbreak community I was a part of a few years back? We used to trust each other back then.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I would never jailbreak my phone....but if I were....I would think that "Trust" would be one of the most important qualities in performing this...seems to me that was broken...

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
No doubt the usual lot will be here to defend them shortly - but this is what happens when greed gets in the way of things.

What happened to the old jailbreak community I was a part of a few years back? We used to trust each other back then.

You used to develop tools to jailbreak iDevices?

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Thanks for the jailbreak guys but why the hell didn't you wait for 7.1? Could you explain that in your open letter.....?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I jailbroke my phone last time around, but I am passing on this and probably won't jailbreak again.

The bugginess, instability and security risks just aren't worth it to me.

I like iOS7 just fine as is.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
It's been displayed on reddit that without Taig even being installed, the jailbreak still regularly made contact with the Chinese site. No thanks, I'll keep my iPad unmolested. Not to mention these guys probably ruined any chance of having jailbreak for final 7.1. They used up valuable exploits on a beta. AND they didn't include saurik in its development, so now a lot of vital tools are broken or unsupported. But hay at least we did it first yay. Slow claps.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Thanks for the jailbreak guys but why the hell didn't you wait for 7.1? Could you explain that in your open letter.....?

Because they got a million dollar payday to release it NOW.

So now we're screwed since Apple knows the exploits and will patch them before 7.1.

Ridiculous.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
But . . .

But you have a contract with Taig that says they won't do pirating on their site. How is it possible that they are in fact doing whatever they want? Oh yeah, you have absolutely no means of effectively enforcing that contract on a Chinese located company. Sorry.

And they stole your code? I'm shocked, schocked I say.

Seriously, if you left any of your devices unattended during any face to face meetings, I'd just get them wiped right now.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
While the original release was handled badly and was a real problem, this is a nonissue now. I say this as someone who bashed Evaders previously (see my post history). Ultimately, yes they failed to do their research on the company but the company went back on their contractual obligations.

They've addressed the issues openly and publicly, and it's been verified there's nothing hidden in there.

As to what they didn't wait until 7.1? Geohot was ready to come back and sell the (stolen) exploits himself so they beat him to the punch. A jailbreak was going to come out before 7.1 one way or another.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
It was a deal gone bad, these guys are a bunch of lieng hypocrites, they keep contradicting themselves over and over again it's just pathetic now. If no money was involved why would they even bundle TaiG? If the community didn't react they would have kept it, got paid and made a fortune.

According to one of the JB heavyweights each jailbreak nets around 100$K from donations, they just got greedy and wanted much more which is outrageous given that their entire revenue is based on exploiting a mobile operating system and imo the only money they deserve to earn is the money they need to cover hosting fees and everything related, nothing else.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It's been displayed on reddit that without Taig even being installed, the jailbreak still regularly made contact with the Chinese site. No thanks, I'll keep my iPad unmolested. Not to mention these guys probably ruined any chance of having jailbreak for final 7.1. They used up valuable exploits on a beta. AND they didn't include saurik in its development, so now a lot of vital tools are broken or unsupported. But hay at least we did it first yay. Slow claps.

iOS 7.1 is months away. And there was competition with having a jailbreak as soon as possible with Geohot being in the mix. If it wasn't evad3rs it would certainly had been Geohot.

I honestly, believe this was blown out of proportion. It was miscommunication among evad3rs and the public. If they announced the details beforehand it wouldn't not had led to this much drama. I've been jailbreaking for years.. And having programming experience, I can only imagine how much hours has been put into it. And Saurik will eventually get a working Mobile Substrate, which he is currently working on. My iPad Air is jailbroken... Did it hours before the initial release.. I feel liberated :) Haha..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.