Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During the original Apple v. Samsung trial in 2011, Apple requested an injunction to prevent Samsung from selling its Galaxy line of smartphones and tablets within the United States. Apple stated that the products in question violated three of its multitouch software patents, including the "rubber-banding" patent covering bounce back along with the tap-to-zoom and pinch-to-zoom patents. Judge Lucy Koh then formally denied Apple's request, suggesting there was no evidence Apple would suffer irreparable harm if Samsung was able to continue selling its products.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg
Last month, however, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled that Judge Koh must reconsider her decision to not ban Samsung devices that infringed on Apple products. Now, FOSS Patents is reporting that Apple has renewed its bid for a U.S. ban on Samsung products, requesting that a separate injunction trial be held on January 30, 2014.
It's important to focus on the asserted patents, not the accused products. Obviously, the products that are named in an April 2011 lawsuit (such as the Galaxy S II) are no longer commercially relevant. But Apple is seeking an injunction that would also cover "any other product not more than colorably different from an Infringing Product as to a feature found to infringe" (which is consistent with the Federal Circuit's TiVo v. EchoStar opinion).
The trial concerning a possible Samsung product ban will also be separate from a second infringement lawsuit to be held on March 31, 2014. Apple and Samsung also participated in a damages retrial last month that followed the original trial in 2011. The jury in the retrial found Samsung liable for $290 million in damages, with Samsung then filing a motion to delay its payments to Apple. That motion however was later denied by Judge Koh, basing her decision on three factors centering around the pace and progress of the case as a whole.

Article Link: Apple Renews Motion Calling for U.S. Ban on Samsung Products

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I know there is a lot at stake but I wish but Apple and Samsung would get over this and just make better products!

ZOZO

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
Well, personally, I don't buy Samsung products. I consider it immoral (for those who should know better). They blatantly copy other people's products, not just Apple's. Portions of their company are legit, but large portions aren't.

On a funnier note...:

apple_samsung_copy-19e7f.jpg

ZOZO

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
Apple is not doing themselves any good with this BS. I don't own a smartphone, but if I did it would be a Samsung. I don't like monopolies. :mad:

But you do like thieves? Interesting.

Just to avoid the likely upcoming argument...:

samsung-copying-cjr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
How cool that a couple of lawyers got together so they could be known as mofos. Says it all.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
A strong offense is the only way to protect innovations protected by law. Otherwise, it's monkey see, monkey do with all competitors deciding to rip off those same innovations and more with no fear of reprisal.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Meritless suits are dismissed as meritless. If Apple files a meritless suit it will be dismissed. If it is not dismissed it should be considered merited.

Like A coach in the NFL throwing in the red flag. That act alone doesn't affect the outcome. Anyone can throw in a red flag. And if it is meritless they may be penalised. But since Apple has been awarded almost a billion dollars already. I suspect there is a lot of merit.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

It would be fair of you to make another effort and show us some of the 10,000+ 1-on-1 copied items emerging from China and surrounding countries. Not just focus on Samsung as Apple does. Why don't they go after the other 'thieves'? Too much of a hassle and Samsung is high profile, those others (although they probably cause more damage) are not. Howl along with the other wolves in the forest, easy and safe. And go on, call me a hater.

SethBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
I know there is a lot at stake but I wish but Apple and Samsung would get over this and just make better products!

There is less incentive to spend time, effort and money on making better products if such innovations are not protected from copying.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Can't feel too bad for Samsung. If they hadn't blatantly ripped off everything they do, this never would have happened. Maybe next time they'll try to come up with stuff on their own rather then piggybacking off of others success.

nemesiswar

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Sweden
Reading stuff like this makes me buy none of eithers products.. And as it is today i own both Samsung and Apple stuff.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
samsung copied Apple. The proof is there. Does this mean Apple should ask for all samsung products banned in the US? No. That is wrong and if the US legal system does the right thing it will notice this and laugh this out of court.

icolove

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012

Do you really want to turn this into a who steals what thread for the 1000th time?

If you require, I'm sure someone could easily come up with 20 blatant things Apple has "stolen" from smartphone makers and software developers.

This industry is pathetic in what it calls "theft" and what it sues for. If something is good, and someone else adds it as a feature or uses design elements, that's not theft in most other industries. It's just the natural progression of ideas.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010

Yep. Blatant copying. Aaaaand...

I don't care. I am happy with my S4, simply because it gives me what Apple refuses to:

-A bigger screen
-Customization
-Freedom from iOS 7's look
-A seriously bigger screen

I waited and waited until finally gave me no choice (pun intended). It's looking like the divorce is going to be final...

That said, Apple is right for defending its IPs, as would any other company. It just doesn't affect me directly, so, I just move along.

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010

Lol while I agree w/ all that, there's only so many ways to portray a microphone. And don't say 'they could've used something else' b/c half the voice rec. apps in the app store use a mic or some variation of it.
But I grant you the rest.

----------

I also think that some of you forget that smartphones are only a small part of Samsung as a whole, which also makes chemicals, semiconductors, ships, medical equipment, etc.

And a seriously hard LOL at the next clown to say "I would never board a Samsung ship" or "I would never get a scan in a Samsung MRI." :rolleyes:

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006

In all fairness, the first photo is inaccurate.

Euronics Italia Sep 27, 2011
The picture is about our new store Euronics (http://www.euronics.it) opened Saturday in Sicily.

The photo is taken from an angle that does not rapresent the real situation of the Smartphone area.

All the wall of the Smartphone section in the store is covered by APP icon (Android and iOS) as decoration. The Samsung "shop in shop" is just a part of that and it's located in front of the same wall. So it's not another chapter of "Samsung vs Apple Affaire", it was only a choice of style in the decoration of an entire wall.

By now the "Safari App" icon located near the "Samsung location" has been removed in order to avoid further misunderstandings.

Greetings from Italy!

Source: http://allthingsd.com/20110923/what-are-apples-icons-doing-on-samsungs-wall-of-apps/

Those photos of the packaging and chargers are stupid. You should read what this lawsuit is about because you'll find its not about boxes and square chargers. You'll find hundreds of companies that make square chargers and even more who make similar packaging. It's all about IP. Apple should protect it's IP but at the same time many of them are extremely broad. That's only going to slow down innovation even more and as a result, there will be a mark up on products because they'll be required to license the patents from Apple. The only loser out of this is the consumer.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Lol while I agree w/ all that, there's only so many ways to portray a microphone. And don't say 'they could've used something else' b/c half the voice rec. apps in the app store use a mic or some variation of it.
But I grant you the rest.

The funny thing is that originally they used a tape recorder for the recording app but then looked at the iPhone and said that iPhone used a microphone, which is more recognizable, so it was better so use a microphone like the iPhone.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but it's just funny. :)

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Here we go again. Seriously apple you won already.
Just like Samsung copied things from apple. Apple copied things from other manufacturs. They all do it.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

And, let's not forget that their designers made at least 200 sketches for each of these components.

Just to make sure they don't look anything like Apple products.

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe you Apple. Why don't you actually invent something yourself rather than repackage other people's technology in a shiny little box. I don't call that innovation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.