Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does anyone even use this app? Google doesn't seem to have any problem producing quality apps on iOS.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I just wish Apple would get rid of the terrible apps that haven't been updated for years/don't work....
EG just automatically get rid of apps that haven't been updated for 2 years or longer etc.

Which actually proves Nokia wrong even more. If Nokia was that worried about the poor, poor users being harmed by the oh-so-brutal changes in iOS7 (which by the way, my main criticism of is that it looks too much like the Metro interface), all they have to do is what they've been doing all along.... nothing.

They spent an entire year sitting on their hands with this app, and it looks just as laughably bad under iOS7 as it did under previous versions. And it could've continued that way for quite awhile, since clearly that's what they want.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I wonder if this has anything to do with the acquisition by Microsoft. It could be that Microsoft will develop their own navigation app based on Nokias technologies, or they are simply not interested hence it was not worth investing more money.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Ooo Nokia, its a shame you've fallen this far.
Blame on the "user experience" psssh

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Go to any thread on here that isn't about Apple and you'll get crowds of people spewing massive hate. I don't know if you knew this, but this site has a massive amount of fanboys.

Correct, here we are already to a 30-something post and not a word about the ongoing issues with Apple's own alternative trying to take people into the middle of rivers, onto airport runways, etc (though #28 at least implied it). In my own case, major retail stores are located by Apple maps. Go to where it says and find empty fields.

I don't know if this Nokia app was good or bad but I would bet heavy that if Apple bought it and rebranded it the new Apple maps, many of these very same jabs (and jabbers) would flip into gushing love. I appreciate that some see Apple as only positive & wonderful (can do no wrong) but competition is good… even for Apple (especially on something like mapping apps where I would think it would be hard for even the max fanboys to argue that Apple has not at least somewhat dropped that particular ball). I would hate to see the world where all hardware & software was ONLY created by Apple (but then I'm still reeling from the recent iWork reboots that stripped them of many of their features in the name of making something that works about the same on iOS devices).

I own plenty of Apple stuff myself and try to use apps like Apple's own Maps (backed up with a second guessing check of Google maps when I need to be sure Maps is right). Otherwise, you might find me roaming some empty field looking for a big box retailer hiding in the brush. At least I'm not getting lost in the Austrailian outback or trying to get lunch in the bottom of a river.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Correct, here we are already to a 30-something post and not a word about the ongoing issues with Apple's own alternative trying to take people into the middle of rivers, onto airport runways, etc (though #28 at least implied it). In my own case, major retail stores are located by Apple maps. Go to where it says and find empty fields.

I don't know if this Nokia app was good or bad but I would bet heavy that if Apple bought it and rebranded it the new Apple maps, many of these very same jabs (and jabbers) would flip into gushing love. I appreciate that some see Apple as only positive & wonderful (can do no wrong) but competition is good… even for Apple. I would hate to see the world where all hardware & software was ONLY created by Apple (but then I'm still reeling from the recent iWork reboots that stripped them of many of their features in the name of making something that works about the same on iOS devices). I own plenty of Apple stuff myself and try to use apps like Apple's own Maps (backed up with a second guessing check of Google maps when I need to be sure Maps is right).

How is it though that other companies don't seem to have a problem releasing quality iOS apps? Google doesn't seem to have a problem with Google Maps. So how exactly is iOS the problem? And why not work with Apple to fix whatever the problems might be rather than just yanking the app and blaming it on the OS.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Translation, no one uses our stuff so we are taking our ball and going home.

More like
Translation, we released a bug defective app we didn't feel like fixing and then Apple changed the whole system. AND had the gall to say we have to optimize our stuff to work properly on iOS 7 by Feb or they will invoke their right to ditch the app. Since we don't intend to do anything anyway, we yanked the app.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
iOS 7 is certainly harming the user experience. Especially users with visual acuity issues and older devices. And sense of aesthetics.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
The dramatic design change in iOS 7 has also led many third-party developers to invest significant resources in redesigning their own apps to match the new aesthetic, and perhaps Nokia simply felt that it did not want to commit to make the necessary changes and improvements to its iOS app in order to attract and retain users.
Sorry, but I couldn't resist commenting on this. By "invest significant resources" do you mean hand a crayon to your 3-year-old? If anything, the new iOS7 aesthetic allows some developers to fire their graphic designers and just wing it on their own.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
This site has sickening degrees of one sidedness on the apple side alright, I'm here two years and belive me I've noticed!
But virtually anywhere else even mentioning you use an apple product results in getting berated with abuse. I try to keep an open mind but I think apple make some very cool stuff, and I especially love really old Apple ii's and vintage 80's macintoshs. I use an iphone and mac today, but I use a pc for gaming and I think windows 7 is a pretty darn stable OS. I virtually never have issue with it like, just like my mac. No system is flawless. On the mobile side, android is more customisable and has far more features across the board. Oddly enough the iphone 5s actually beats all other android phone right now in raw processing power, but this is not usually the case. iOS is restricted and simpler, but I use it for daily calling, texting, light gaming, web browsing etc. my iphone excels in these areas. If I want to do server management or music production I'll sit at my mac. Any messing around with software I'll do on my pc as well. Also my iphone works fluidly with iTunes for music management, even over wifi. I have yet to see such a reliable and effortless music organisation system from any other company.

I think most people that hate on other systems haven't really used them much. Almost evey OS has its advantages.

Exactly, every system has advantages and disadvantages.

I don't know if this Nokia app was good or bad but I would bet heavy that if Apple bought it and rebranded it the new Apple maps, many of these very same jabs (and jabbers) would flip into gushing love. I appreciate that some see Apple as only positive & wonderful (can do no wrong) but competition is good… even for Apple (especially on something like mapping apps where I would think it would be hard for even the max fanboys to argue that Apple has not at least somewhat dropped that particular ball). I would hate to see the world where all hardware & software was ONLY created by Apple (but then I'm still reeling from the recent iWork reboots that stripped them of many of their features in the name of making something that works about the same on iOS devices).

I own plenty of Apple stuff myself and try to use apps like Apple's own Maps (backed up with a second guessing check of Google maps when I need to be sure Maps is right). Otherwise, you might find me roaming some empty field looking for a big box retailer hiding in the brush. At least I'm not getting lost in the Austrailian outback or trying to get lunch in the bottom of a river.

I, personally, think that the biggest fans of a company should also be its biggest critics.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Never even heard of this app.
Nokia's current situation is kind of sad they use to be the kings of the mobile phone world. Now they are just a bunch losers. It's like seeing your high school's prom queen or king 10 years later working at Burger king.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I just wish Apple would get rid of the terrible apps that haven't been updated for years/don't work....
EG just automatically get rid of apps that haven't been updated for 2 years or longer etc.

They are more interested in saying how many millions of apps they have in the app store. The fact that many are useless is not important to them.

AppleDude

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
Bad Spokeman

the HERE iOS app was not particularly well received by users, having suffered from a number of bugs and received no updates during its year on the App Store. Consequently, it seems likely that poor adoption and an unwillingness by Nokia to invest significant effort in fixing the app's issues played significant roles in HERE's demise on iOS as well.

Article Link: Nokia Pulls 'HERE' Maps App for iOS, Citing iOS 7 Changes That 'Harm the User Experience'

When a company issues such a vague and meaningless response to its customers as Nokia did (one that appears to answer the "why" question to people who can't tell if their question was answered), I find it disingenuous. I find the above quoted reason to be much more likley.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Translation, no one uses our stuff so we are taking our ball and going home.

I'm trying to figure out a way that this logic doesn't conflict with Apple removing Google maps, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible.

How do you justify this opinion, or do you just ignore it?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
How is it though that other companies don't seem to have a problem releasing quality iOS apps? Google doesn't seem to have a problem with Google Maps. So how exactly is iOS the problem? And why not work with Apple to fix whatever the problems might be rather than just yanking the app and blaming it on the OS.

Who knows if iOS was really the problem or if that was just spin? How about "you're holding it wrong". Was everyone with that issue just holding it wrong or was that just spin rather than Apple getting it right?

Maybe something crucial in that app was lost in the change to iOS7. Maybe not. But still, a mapping competitor app dies. Horray! Why can't all competitors die so that we can all get as lost as I do sometimes following Apple's Map app. How many wonderful apps would be left in the app store if all but Apple apps were to die?

Last edited:

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
When a company issues such a vague and meaningless response to its customers as Nokia did (one that appears to answer the "why" question to people who can't tell if their question was answered), I find it disingenuous. I find the above quoted reason to be much more likley.

Why did Apple pull the Google maps app when their replacement was in an unacceptably poor condition and they still had a year left on their contract?

----------

Sure, when all your efforts to make a popular app fail, blame iOS7 and quit.

If by "fruity" you mean "useful", I totally agree. If not, please go back to your bridge.

Mmm, yes, when I think Apple maps, I definitely think "useful".

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I, personally, think that the biggest fans of a company should also be its biggest critics.

While I agree in full, good luck on finding adoption of that concept here. I do think this would be an even better site though if more of that existed here.

----------

How about "You're holding it wrong." While not vague spin, did you find that disingenuous as well? Or can only non-Apple entities be disingenuous in how they spin their decisions? It's a very old PR tactic to be vague in rationale for decisions that could be viewed as net-negative for users. It's been used for years (forever?) and will be used for years to come. Apple will use it too when it serves Apple's purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.