Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile trade organization CTIA has launched Know My App, a website dedicated to informing consumers about the impact that specific apps have on data usage, reports PCWorld. The group notes that while tools have been available to measure an app's post-installation impact on data usage, the new website is the first to measure data usage before a download.

CTIA_knowyourapp_snapchat.jpg
Currently, the site allows users to search for an app by name, operating system or category, and currently includes test results for the top 50 paid and free apps from the App Store and Google Play. CTIA also pledges to add more apps to the database in the coming months, and is also inviting developers to submit their apps for testing.

The website was developed in a joint effort between product testing company Intertek and CTIA's Application Data Usage Working Group, which includes members such as Apple, Cisco, Google and LG. The tool also comes as wireless providers such as AT&T and Verizon have imposed different policies on data usage throughout the past few years with the offering of tiered data plans for customers.

Article Link: CTIA Launches 'Know My App' Website Showing Mobile App Data Usage

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
So as we look into vehicles mpg now we look into data usage...hopefully this doesn't evolve into paying more taxes or stinky surcharges

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Being serious for a moment, estimates are fine but the ability to see actual cellular usage on a per-app basis (under Settings -> Cellular) is one of the best enhancements in iOS 7, IMO.

Ent

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
Good idea in theory but data usage is largely dependant on the user and how much they use the app (for example an app like Pandora)

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
Am I the only one whose Exchange and DNS services use a LOT of data? They're the top 2 data-consuming system services, 50MB and 109MB respectively since the last (recent) reboot.

----------

If only you could just look in the settings like Android

You can.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Am I the only one whose Exchange and DNS services use a LOT of data? They're the top 2 data-consuming system services, 50MB and 109MB respectively since the last (recent) reboot.

----------

You can.

Exchange is a data hog. For me it's 338MB for Exchange and 39MB for DNS.

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
Exchange is a data hog. For me it's 338MB for Exchange and 39MB for DNS.

Alright, so my next question is why does it need 338MB for the transfer of text? Entire operating systems used to take up only that much space. EDIT: Looked it up, people are saying that it's a bug in iOS and Android that was supposedly fixed, but apparently it wasn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.