Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I also accidentally deleted off of my dock. Can anybody help me get it back? I have found the icon in "Go" in find, but am not able to drag it anywhere...

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Click "GO" And Click on "Go to Folder"

Type "~/"

and there ya go!

edit: Nvm. You deleted it in finder too...

Someone else care to chime in?

Last edited:

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
Couldn't you just hook up your external hard drive and find the downloads folder and restore it from your external hard drive?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Just add a new folder and name it Downloads. The Finder will put the special icon back on the folder after a restart, if it doesn't initially.

Another way I think is to just download something again, the folder will reappear. The only way to permanently delete the "Downloads" folder (that I've found) is through the Terminal.

Reactions: chabig

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Couldn't you just hook up your external hard drive and find the downloads folder and restore it from your external hard drive?

This did not work. Its not showing up on there either...

----------

Just add a new folder and name it Downloads. The Finder will put the special icon back on the folder after a restart, if it doesn't initially.

Another way I think is to just download something again, the folder will reappear. The only way to permanently delete the "Downloads" folder (that I've found) is through the Terminal.

I have done this as well and it did not put the icon on it, nor did it put any of my downloads in that folder :(

KingMD

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Austria
I would try to
1)simply create a new user
2)create a new "download" folder in your user home folder
3)cmd+i both download folders and cmd+c after clicking on the little icon in the information widow of the newly created user's download folder and cmd+v after clicking on the little icon in the window of the new download folder in your user

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
Did you check the Trash can ? Folders deleted with Finder usually ends up there and unless you have emptied the Trash, you can always drag it back.

+1. Or if Downloads/ is the last deleted object, open ~ in Finder and ⌘ + Z.

brightjc@me.com

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
UK
Download Folder

Simply look up downloads in Spotlight (at the top right of the screen) then drag and drop the small folder icon next to where it says downloads onto your dock. I've tried this to get an applications folder there when there wasn't one and it works fine.

OOLIE

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2014
Go to finder in File up top hit new smart folder. Then Search downloads and you will see the download folder come up select and it will add to finder. Then add to dock. This may have been resolved but this is how I did it and it was easy.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Easiest way IMO,

1. Open Boot Drive
2. Look at the Favorites List on the Left side of the Window
3. Clock on Your User Name - The Downloads Folder will be in there
4. Drag the folder into the dict to create the Downloads alias Folder.

Lou

duncanwil

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2014
same story ... with a twist

I was tidying up my macbook pro and tried to drag the downloads folder to my external hard drive ... poof! The downloads folder evaporated and it does not appear in Finder now.

Except, the downloads icon still appears at the bottom of the screen along with all other icons. So, when I click on that icon then click on "321 More in Finder" a Finder window opens with ALL downloaded files in there ... but the downloads folder still does not appear in the left hand side of the Finder pane.

How do I get the Downloads folder with all contents back to square one then??

I just want to delete the older files now that I have been able to copy and paste onto my external drive.

TIA

brightjc@me.com

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
UK
Download Folder

Simply type download into Spotlight then drag the small download folder on the left of where it says downloads (probable the top hit) onto your dog. Job done!!!

TJSmith

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
Thank you

Simply look up downloads in Spotlight (at the top right of the screen) then drag and drop the small folder icon next to where it says downloads onto your dock. I've tried this to get an applications folder there when there wasn't one and it works fine.

Just wanted to thank you, I accidentally removed the downloads folder from my new Mac Mini and had no idea how to get it back, and what you said to do worked!

ngulbing

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2014
If you have deleted the Downloads folder from Finder-

-Open spotlight, search for Downloads folder and open. Once it has opened in Finder, click on file and select "Add to Sidebar"

Hope that helps!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you have deleted the Downloads folder from Finder-

-Open spotlight, search for Downloads folder and open. Once it has opened in Finder, click on file and select "Add to Sidebar"
The question in this thread was how to add it back to the Dock, not the sidebar. That question was answered about a year ago.

Link_Shadeslayer

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
I literally just created an account to say this. I had the same problem, and the solution is as simple as opening Downloads in finder, then click and drag the little downloads blue folder to the left of the word downloads onto your dock. haha you were all way overthinking it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I literally just created an account to say this. I had the same problem, and the solution is as simple as opening Downloads in finder, then click and drag the little downloads blue folder to the left of the word downloads onto your dock. haha you were all way overthinking it.
That functionality didn't exist at the time this thread was created.

Ashleigh West

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2015
I've had this problem and I found out how to fix it. Do these following steps:
1.) Go to your finder
2.) Click Go on the top left of your screen
3.) Click on the folder "Downloads" (Dont drag it - just click on it)
Notice the "Downloads" folder on the top of your screen
4.) Drag the downloads folder into the side bar in your finder
5.) Viola! You have downloads back onto your finder
Hope this helped :);)

jphayw

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2015
I also accidentally deleted off of my dock. Can anybody help me get it back? I have found the icon in "Go" in find, but am not able to drag it anywhere...

I did the same thing and happened on a simple fix. Download any other file from a browser, then rather than opening it from the browser, "right click" on it and select "show in Finder". It will open up the download folder in Finder and from there, you can click and drag the word "Download" at the top of the Finder window to the left Nav Bar. It will plunk it right back in.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
What the hell, there's no need to use any of these ridiculous "fixes", no need to download random files from the internet and right click them, just open you Home folder and the Downloads folder is right there for you to drag anywhere.

Or you can open Finder's "Preferences" window and put a tick mark next to Downloads.
Or you can write "D-o-w-n-l-o-a-d-s" into Spotlight and boom, it's there.
Or you can press Option-Command-L and you're there.

Darryl Huynh

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
Download Folder

I must registry this account to click "Thanks" for your help. Thank you very much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.