Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Anyone have any idea when RAM will go down again in price? It was nice when this deal was in the $60-70 range. Now, you can find anything under $110 or so, and that's if you find it in stock. Any thoughts on when will be the best time to buy again? It's not an immediate need, so I can wait for a little while.

It will continue to increase for old chips. That's how it works. New tech is expensive when it comes out but it's a bell curve and drops. Over time it will start to increase again.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
It will continue to increase for old chips. That's how it works. New tech is expensive when it comes out but it's a bell curve and drops. Over time it will start to increase again.

I just purchased an old '06 MacPro (about a month ago now) and it's true. 32G of ram (new?) is about 900.00. That's why I'm still only running 5Gs ram. haha I'm looking for a deal on Craigslist and Ebay but, I doubt I'll find the "deal" I'm looking for.

So get used to the older hardware being more expensive. Sucks but, that's the way it is.

EDIT: Check these prices out and click the other 2010/2012 systems and see the differences in prices. :\

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#667-memory

(The 2008's are even more expensive.. jjeesshh..)

atkitchin

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
Very good. Have you received it yet? Tested it?

So, the good news: I don't have to buy another 16Gs ram. My 2009 Mac mini didn't like it at all. As soon as I turned it on, it started beeping. 3 beeps. I removed them, then added the 8Gs back in and it worked. So I took them out to try the 16Gs again and samething.

Bad news: The 16Gs of ram doesn't work in my 2009 Mac mini.

I added the ram to my Macbook and it's working flawlessly. So, that's that.

Has anybody tried to put 16gb on a Macbook Aluminum late 2008? I know it supports up to 8gb, but I'd like to go to 16 if possible.

Wooderson00

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
I didn't realize that was the case. Thanks for the info. I went ahead and just ordered another set. Even if the price goes down some, I won't mind too much.

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy

I have the same problem. I would like to update my Early 2011 MBP to 16GB and last year around December, 16GB were around €90. But since then the price increased more than 40%.
Is DDR3 RAM old hardware?

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
I have the same problem. I would like to update my Early 2011 MBP to 16GB and last year around December, 16GB were around €90. But since then the price increased more than 40%.
Is DDR3 RAM old hardware?

DDR3L is the latest only difference is speed and voltage. Your machine uses PC3-10600-DDR3. The RAM is not that expensive you just have to wait for a deal.

Last edited:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Hello, I have a mid/late 2009 Unibody White Macbook. I imagine that it only differs from the 2010 version by the processor clock (2.26 vs 2.4GHz) and gpu (9400m vs 320m). Does it support 16GB/1066 OWC RAM?

I had a good experience with OWC, so I'll probably buy RAM with them. Currently, my Macbook is equipped with 2x4GB modules, but it's still running Snow Leopard. I'm planning upgrading to Mountain Lion so I'll probably buy 2x8GB. Does it increase battery life since it will keep my hard disk off most of the time?

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Hello, I have a mid/late 2009 Unibody White Macbook. I imagine that it only differs from the 2010 version by the processor clock (2.26 vs 2.4GHz) and gpu (9400m vs 320m). Does it support 16GB/1066 OWC RAM?

I had a good experience with OWC, so I'll probably buy RAM with them. Currently, my Macbook is equipped with 2x4GB modules, but it's still running Snow Leopard. I'm planning upgrading to Mountain Lion so I'll probably buy 2x8GB. Does it increase battery life since it will keep my hard disk off most of the time?

NO. Both the mid 2009 (Pre unibody white) and Late 2009 white unibody MB are limited to 8GB maximum, Due to the Nvidia 9400m GPU chipset and the EFI. (That GPU cannot handle anything more than 8gb.) The Mid 2010 MacBooks were the only white MB model to receive an EFI update to accept 16GB.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
NO. Both the mid 2009 (Pre unibody white) and Late 2009 white unibody MB are limited to 8GB maximum, Due to the Nvidia 9400m GPU chipset and the EFI. (That GPU cannot handle anything more than 8gb.) The Mid 2010 MacBooks were the only white MB model to receive an EFI update to accept 16GB.

Hello. What are the reference sources of your affirmation? I say this because most people like repeating things they read on forums but actually didn't test if it really doesn't work.

Currently, I would like to know if someone tested 2x8GB modules in a late-2009 Unibody Macbook with the following specifications:

- OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8;
- 64bit kernel extensions ENABLED (MR forum has instructions for hacking white macbooks for supporting this);
- DDR3 1066 low-latency modules (that is, the good ones);

I would like to know in what specific situation the 16GB upgrade didn't work on this Macbook. If the EFI is 64bit, the 64bit kernel extensions are enabled (that is, PAE - Physical Address Extension - is disabled) and the modules are quality ones (that is, if it was tested in a Unibody MacMini or 2010 Unibody Macbook and worked, they may be good ones).

I can't see any reason for 2x8GB good ram modules to not work with this configuration - besides the rumors spread at internet forums saying it doesn't work.

PintOfHarp

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
Macbook 13" Mid 2010 RAM upgrade

Hello,

I put 2x8GB 1067mhz DDR3 sticks from OWC into my Macbook and I'm not really noticing a difference in osx or win7. Any ideas?

zhienyung0423

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2013
How is your macbook now?

Is this a fluke? I just bought 16Gs ram for my 2010 Mac mini and since it's the same specs as my 2010 Macbook, I figured I'd throw the 16Gs into my Macbook and see how far it would be until a kernel panic or something happen.

To my surprise, it started right up and went to the login screen. I figured it'd work but only see 8Gs or something a little more if any. I went into About This Mac and it read 16Gs of ram. I selected the Ram and it shows 16Gs and each slot with 8Gs sticks. I even opened up Activity Monitor an it showed all 16Gs.

I'm going to leave it in here and do tests. What's recommended way to stress the ram out or what could I do that might cause it to kernel panic? I'm going to boot off my external drive and do a CCC of my current SSD drive to see if that does anything.

See attached images.

Hi there, it's Dec 26 2013, how is your macbook unibody running in 16gb ram at the moment? Everything still running perfect?

Maccaloon

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
I'm looking to up my ram on my MacBook mid-2010, but I thought the maximum was 4GB. Can I get it to 8GB?

Thanks.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
So to confirm. Does the 16GB work with 10.6.8 as well or is 10.7.5 a requirement? Also, if anyone is not needing theirs anymore feel free to PM me. I would be interested.

Satellitecentra

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
so am i out off luck with the 16 gig on my mid 2009 aluminium macbook then ?, it has 8 gig now, 2.4 gig core2duo,NVIDIA GeForce 9400M apple identifier 5.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.