Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After three-and-a-half months on the market, iOS 7 is installed on some 78 percent of devices connecting to the App Store, according to the latest numbers posted on Apple's App Store support page for developers.

The company puts iOS 6 adoption at 18 percent, and older OS versions at 4 percent. The data from Apple is likely the most accurate adoption data we will see and is the most relevant for developers as its taken directly from the App Store.

ios7.png
Earlier in December, Apple reported iOS 7 adoption at 74 percent.

Article Link: Apple's App Store Usage Numbers Peg iOS 7 Adoption at 78%

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
It would be interesting to see what percentage of devices that can't run iOS 7 are in these percentages to get a good idea of how many devices can upgrade but haven't.

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
Not bad for something that's been out for less than half a year.

Android 4 has been out for over 2 years and there are still fewer devices percentage wise running version 4 or higher.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Will never understand why Apple sees 'fragmentation' as an issue. It hardly matters.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
It would be interesting to see what percentage of devices that can't run iOS 7 are in these percentages to get a good idea of how many devices can upgrade but haven't.

My old iPhone 4 (not even 'S') is now more or less unusable after the forced update to iOS 7. Does that count as well ?

9Benua

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
How many of those adoption number will change if they allow iOS6 downgrade?

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
My old iPhone 4 (not even 'S') is now more or less unusable after the forced update to iOS 7. Does that count as well ?

Yepper, as well as all new devices that came with iOS7. Those folks have had no option but to "adopt" it. As well as anyone who had issues with a device and had to restore only to be able to get iOS7. So adoption rate is a tad lopsided I would say. Only way to truly know how many have actually adopted it would be to offer iOS6 as an option. That would tell the tale.

We will never see those times though. Seems like a good idea to allow 1 revision back for anyone who doesn't have the latest device and finds out the newest iOS does not play well with their particular device. So they can just stick with the older revision that works fine until they are ready for new hardware. I think people would still purchase so as to get the new features of the device or new iOS.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Ha! You obviously aren't a developer.

I'm not. But since most new Windows apps run on XP and most new Android apps run on Android 2; I'm curious as to why this cannot ever be the case on OS X or iOS, both of which land you in incompatible trouble if you're using a legacy version.

Maybe, as a non-developer, I'm missing something. Can you enlighten me?

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Well you did have a choice…

You know folks always say that. However until you update you don't really know how is going to perform. Not to mention the space sucked up by the forced download. On a 16gb device with only 13gb usable to start with, taking 3+gb for software that you don't intend to install isn't really right. Especially when Apple charges $100 for 16 gb more. And until you use the new iOS with your stuff you don't really know. Anyway you are correct no one forces anyone to push the install button but perhaps Apple should not push it down it either until one pushes the button to install. Also maybe a warning that "your device is older generation and therefore may not perform as well as you are used to" could be an option to help people decide. Worse case let them go back 1 rev at the very least.

I have 4s and it runs fine with 7 but you never know, I may be weary when iOS8 rolls around as it may kill the 4s.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany

My old iPhone 4 runs on iOS 7 and I can't see any substantial problems. Any examples on performance decreases, which I suppose you have in mind? If this is about the general UI, than it's a non topic. Just for interest though.

Will never understand why Apple sees 'fragmentation' as an issue. It hardly matters.

If you develop software you than need to ensure compatibility for several OS versions - and that might be a resource as well as a financial problem the more versions you need to serve.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I have a couple friends with iPhone 5's still using iOS 6.

----------

Yepper, as well as all new devices that came with iOS7. Those folks have had no option but to "adopt" it. As well as anyone who had issues with a device and had to restore only to be able to get iOS7. So adoption rate is a tad lopsided I would say. Only way to truly know how many have actually adopted it would be to offer iOS6 as an option. That would tell the tale.

We will never see those times though. Seems like a good idea to allow 1 revision back for anyone who doesn't have the latest device and finds out the newest iOS does not play well with their particular device. So they can just stick with the older revision that works fine until they are ready for new hardware. I think people would still purchase so as to get the new features of the device or new iOS.

And what would iOS 6 adoption have been if users has the choice to stay on iOS 5?

----------

How many of those adoption number will change if they allow iOS6 downgrade?

And how would iOS 6 numbers have changed if users had been allowed to downgrade to iOS 5? It's not like iOS 7 different than previous versions of iOS when it comes to upgrades. I have two friends who are still using iOS 6 just fine. They received the notification to upgrade to iOS 7 and just ignored it.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
My old iPhone 4 runs on iOS 7 and I can't see any substantial problems. Any examples on performance decreases, which I suppose you have in mind? If this is about the general UI, than it's a non topic. Just for interest though.

It's *very* laggy in general and no fun to use any more. In fact it sometimes takes seconds after a touch until something happens on the screen (browsing the address book for example). The general UI (i.e. the animations) are just as bad as on my new iPad Air.

As a phone it's really unusable now. Accepting a call takes about 3-5 seconds until it reacts on the fact that I just pressed that green button.

If I could I would immediately go back to iOS 6.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Oh sure, after Apple very "helfully" downloads IOS7 to your device, without your consent, then we are a click away from doing something irreversible. TOO LATE.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
It's *very* laggy in general and no fun to use any more. In fact it sometimes takes seconds after a touch until something happens on the screen (browsing the address book for example). The general UI (i.e. the animations) are just as bad as on my new iPad Air.

As a phone it's really unusable now. Accepting a call takes about 3-5 seconds until it reacts on the fact that I just pressed that green button.

If I could I would immediately go back to iOS 6.

Think something is wrong with your phone. iPhone 4 here and it runs fine all current releases of iOS 7 including 7.1 b1 & b2

When iOS 6 came out it was awful and everyone was complaining and would of loved to go back to iOS 5. Then by the end of it's development cycle it was working well... Now we have another new OS that will not be fully realised for some time to come.

As a starting OS 7 is miles ahead of 6. Far too many rose tinted glasses.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
If you look at the reviews of any app that hasn't been updated to the new iOS 7 design, it is pretty much dominated by people complaining the app needs to be updated to the new iOS7 look and feel. That right there tells you how well received iOS 7 has been and how big the uptake is so far.

Me personally I can't stand iOS6 now. I have a device with iOS 6 just for development purposes and the lack of functionality and efficiency is immediately obvious compared to iOS 7. They did a great job with the new OS so it's not surprising how fast it's been adopted. Especially given the relatively short time frame after Forstall was let go. Eager to see what they can come up with in more time although cleaning up the remaining bugs should be the first thing they should tackle.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
78% of the devices connecting to iTunes but what those that don't?

I want to know the percent of all possible iPhones in the field?

I'll make it easier…of all iPhone 4s, 5 excluding 5s since this came with IOS 7 and cannot be downgraded.

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
That graph is the biggest lie ever.
Apple don't give the users any other choice.
It's like saying: either you use our new ios or you can't use your device again....

What do you know adaption rate 90%

Simply genius...

Let people the option to go back to ios 6 and you will see this graph drop to 40% at best.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
That graph is the biggest lie ever.
Apple don't give the users any other choice.
It's like saying: either you use our new ios or you can't use your device again....

What do you know adaption rate 90%

Simply genius...

Let people the option to go back to ios 6 and you will see this graph drop to 40% at best.

It's not a lie. Apple's failure to conform to the reality that you desire does not make their graph a lie. You can't, nor will you ever be able to go back to older iOS versions. 78% of iOS devices in use are on iOS 7, and that is a fact.

At this point, people that still can't get accustomed to iOS 7 should seriously consider Windows Phone or Android. This is the present and future of iOS, and aside from continuous refinements, what you see is what you're going to get for the next couple years.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
At this point, people that still can't get accustomed to iOS 7 should seriously consider Windows Phone or Android. This is the present and future of iOS, and aside from continuous refinements, what you see is what you're going to get for the next couple years.

Why? I didn't update my iPad. iOS 7 was pushed to it but it's not installed. I just can't get past the ugly.

iPad works fine for me on iOS6.

brianb568

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2013
I'm not. But since most new Windows apps run on XP and most new Android apps run on Android 2; I'm curious as to why this cannot ever be the case on OS X or iOS, both of which land you in incompatible trouble if you're using a legacy version.

Maybe, as a non-developer, I'm missing something. Can you enlighten me?

You can make it compatible, but that takes effort, time, and $$. I'm happen to be a web developer; my fear is IE (80,492 open questions related to IE http://stackoverflow.com/search?tab=votes&q=IE isaccepted:no ) More effort = less devs willing to support the platform = less apps.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Why? I didn't update my iPad. iOS 7 was pushed to it but it's not installed. I just can't get past the ugly.

iPad works fine for me on iOS6.

Of course, you can always choose to stay on iOS 6. But in the future, what if you still don't like the way iOS 7+ looks? Eventually, you're either going to want a new iPad or the apps you use will require a later version of iOS. For now though, you're obviously fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.