Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

fitbit.png
Fitbit, the fitness company behind the Fitbit line of wearable activity tracking devices, today updated its Fitbit iPhone app with a new "MobileTrack" feature, which is designed to offer iPhone 5s users standard Fitbit activity tracking without the need for one of the company's fitness bands.

To track movement and activity, the revamped Fitbit app uses Apple's "M7" motion coprocessor. First introduced with the iPhone 5s, the M7 chip accompanies Apple's standard A7 processor and captures motion data from the phone's compass, accelerometer, and gyroscope, facilitating the continued capture of movement without significant battery drain.

With MobileTrack, the Fitbit app is able to track steps, distance traveled, and calories burned. Fitbit's physical offerings, including its newest Fitbit Force band, track those standard metrics along with active minutes, sleep, and stairs climbed.

Along with MobileTrack, the newly updated Fitbit app also includes redesigned alarm settings, custom water goals, and several other design enhancements.
- The Fitbit app now features MobileTrack which offers basic Fitbit activity tracking directly using your iPhone 5s.
- Redesigned Silent Alarms settings. Set, switch, edit, and remove alarms faster than ever.
- Set your own custom water goal.
- Redesigned profile editor.
- Redesigned tracker settings.
- Redesigned sign-up and sign-in.
- Tap on people in Friend Finder to see their profile.
- Swipe on friends on your leaderboard to Cheer, Taunt, or Message.
- Tap on tabs to auto-scroll to the top.
Earlier this year, Fitbit competitor Nike introduced a similar app, called Nike+ Move, which is also designed to track physical activity. Several other apps have also been engineered to use the M7 coprocessor for measuring movement.

Fitbit can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Fitbit App Update Adds 'MobileTrack' With M7 Coprocessor Support

gumbyhw

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2006
Makes the 5s a good deal

Since I lose my fitbits pretty regularly at $100/pop this makes the 5S a net free upgrade relative to the 5c -- maybe even cheaper than the 5c. Plus my fitbit runs flat sometimes, whereas I notice what my phone is up to.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
So with this update, the app can replicate many of the features due to the M7 chip that you previously needed Fitbit equipment like the Zip or the One?
That's right. The Fitbit app (minus their devices) offers similar functionary as other fitness tracking apps like Nike+ Move, Argus, Steps+, Runkeeper, etc.

Undoubtedly their hope is that some people will try out the app and like it enough to buy one of the Fitbit devices for more comprehensive tracking.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Anyone try this synched with MyFitnessPal? I have it setup from my Fitbit One, but after switching to mobiletrack/m7 and re-connecting the accounts, it doesn't seem to be synching.

Edit: It seems like if you leave the Fitbit app open, it won't sync. You have to switch to the app, wait for it to update, and then it syncs a few minutes later.

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Sooooo.... what happens if you have both a Fitbit and an iPhone 5S (as I do)? Do I get double credit for steps?

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
I have one of their Zip trackers that basically only counts steps, distance and calories. Doesn't this essentially make the Zip pointless to carry? Not that I've been carrying it much anyway since the thing comes out of the included silicone clip too easily.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
It depends on how you go about your activities.

For example, if you play adult league soccer, tennis or pick-up hoops, you probably won't want to risk your iPhone with a belt holder during those kind of activities.

Those are just three examples that rolled off the top of my head.

If all you do is walk or run, sure, go ahead and toss your Zip tracker in the drawer. Of course, you still need an iPhone 5s since the earlier models do not have the M7 motion co-processor.

This app update largely benefits iPhone 5s owners, not other people.

Sooooo.... what happens if you have both a Fitbit and an iPhone 5S (as I do)? Do I get double credit for steps?
Since you didn't include any smilies in your post, I will assume you aren't being flip. Note that smilies do help communicate tongue-in-cheek humor, sarcasm, etc. to non-native English readers on the Internet (there are many at tech gadget sites like MacRumors).

My guess is that the Fitbit devices provide time-stamped data. Thus, if you put on your Fitbit device at 2:10pm, play tennis for 90 minutes (while your phone sits safe and sound in your gym bag), then sync at 3:50pm, the Fitbit device will say, "here's the data from 2:10-3:50pm" and the Fitbit app/service will override the iPhone's data during that timeframe.

Fitbit makes money selling their devices, so the priority would naturally be to their own proprietary hardware in the instance of duplicate data.

Last edited:

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the app to have the phone track steps. I left my Fitbit One at home last night when I was at work, but couldn't figure out how to have my phone count steps using the Fitbit App.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the app to have the phone track steps. I left my Fitbit One at home last night when I was at work, but couldn't figure out how to have my phone count steps using the Fitbit App.

You can't have two trackers live at the same time. You have to disable your Fitbit One, and then choose 'MobileTrack' in the app.

jonthegeologist

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
You can't have two trackers live at the same time. You have to disable your Fitbit One, and then choose 'MobileTrack' in the app.

That's a shame isn't it? Be great if it was smart and used timestamps to check if you were using the fitbit device or the M7.

christiandb

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014
Too bad you can't easily switch between MotionTrack and your Fitbit tracker just in case you forget your tracker at home. It looks like you can only link MotionTrack or Fitbit One,Flex, etc. to an account. Not both

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009

Thanks.
That's kind of ridiculous, IMO. It's almost like I'm being penalized for owning the device. Sometimes I'll forget to bring it to work with me and would have liked do just use the phone when I forget, and have them sync up when I get back home.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Not only is it ridiculous, that is poor engineering design.

The app/service should be able to figure out which data source to use or display a conflict resolution screen for the end user to verify which source is correct.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Thanks.
That's kind of ridiculous, IMO. It's almost like I'm being penalized for owning the device. Sometimes I'll forget to bring it to work with me and would have liked do just use the phone when I forget, and have them sync up when I get back home.

I know. I have the Fitbit Zip, and the same thing has happened to me.

What I'd love to happen is for MyFitnessPal to add m7 support to their app, and then I wouldn't need the Fitbit at all. Lose It! already added support. MFP shouldn't be too far behind.

bendc

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
Boston
Actually Incredibly Useful

I downloaded it with low expectations but, having the 5s, it's surprisingly accurate and helpful with all goals (weight, calorie intake, water, or just distance walked). I definitely recommend downloading it.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe

You have to setup "MobileTrack" as a new device and replace the FitBit linked to you iP5

A bit cumbersome, but no doubt they'll improve over time.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
It depends on how you go about your activities.

For example, if you play adult league soccer, tennis or pick-up hoops, you probably won't want to risk your iPhone with a belt holder during those kind of activities.

Those are just three examples that rolled off the top of my head.

Yeah, but like I said, the silicone holder with the Zip tracker is nearly useless and it always slips out of the thing. I wouldn't dare trust it to keep the thing safe during any sort of sport participation.

aiom

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
I downloaded it with low expectations but, having the 5s, it's surprisingly accurate and helpful with all goals (weight, calorie intake, water, or just distance walked). I definitely recommend downloading it.

I love the Fitbit app, even with just the 5s :) It blows Nike+ Move out of the water. Signup is an easy 1 step unlike with Nike. The data is synced to fitbit.com and not just stored locally like Nike. Data is both visual like Nike but also in quantifiable calories, steps, distance :)

Nike+ Move is absolute trash now that this is released :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.