Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bully worm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
I thought this new feature was suppose to disable youtube videos until you click on them ala ClicktoFlash?

I have the feature enabled but all youtube videos play instantly the moment I open them. :confused:

I don't want to use the ClicktoFlash extension if the browser has it built in. I just can't seem to get it to work with youtube.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
You do have the option to use html5. But even with that, it still auto plays.
YouTube HTML5 / MPEG-4 videos play natively, they don't use any plugins. So what's to stop here? If you hit on a Flash movie, Safari will ask for a confirmation.
PS ClickToFlash has a killer feature - direct AirPlay of any web-embedded video! So I had to re-enable it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The Safari power saver is fairly smart. It will only disable plugins if they aren't central to the content of the page.

A video on YouTube is central content so it auto-plays it. A flash-based ad in the corner on a news website is not, so Safari power saver will kick in.

So far it's been fairly smart in my experience and I've not had to click to play anything I actually WANT to see. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I never understood the logic, sometimes I'd see it do that, other times on a similar page it would not. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.