Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trock8501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2013
Hi

I have had an apple TV 3 i think it is for a while now. alot of times the spinning wheel, or buffering takes forever.
it says things like "ready to play in 1 hour and 23 minutes" and if i want it to be faster i should go to my settings and downgrade the settings from the 1080 p i have it set to

the thing is thats why i bought it, to run on my nice 1080p sony tv.

when the movies or tv shows play they are gorgeous and i love apple tv compared to netflix etc

i just have it wirelessly connected to my local access point in the same room which is very fast.

i never really looked into optimizing the setup since it literally plugged in and worked from day 1 by joining it to my itunes acct and access point/network

would it be faster if i cabled it to the switch i have int he same room? vs wireless?

i researched this a bunch and did things like make sure its in the same time zone and all kinds of strange things etc

anyway, just wondering how to get the stuff to load faster

i am on the latest firmware to, as of this date

thanks for an help

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
would it be faster if i cabled it to the switch i have int he same room? vs wireless?

Maybe. Worth trying for sure. I've seen issues like this solved by using Ethernet; don't know if it's certain brand routers or what.

My AVT3's are both wireless and perform flawlessly, but that's using an AirPort router.

trock8501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2013
Hey

Thanks for the reply. i bought an airport time capsule. but my whole homw network is off a Dlink router and on the 192 network. some with hard coded IP's and many things joined to the wirless network it gives off

i really wish the airport stuff would have come with DHCP of 192 not 10.x.x.x networks

i knwo i can do it but i would have to change a ton of stuff and a couple of pieces i honestly dont remember how to get into to change to the 10 address schema vs the 192 they are on now

are the airport stuff though really alot better in terms of wireless power and reach? if so i may just bit the bullet and try it out

are they really good at being the heart of a pretty large network ?

switches
aceess points
studio controllers that run off DHCP
all my apple stuff
microsoft PC's and laptops?

thanks!

DaPhatty

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
You are over thinking this. Regardless of the complexity of your home network, getting ideal connectivity for 1080p video only requires a few things. Assuming you are downloading 1080p video directly from Apple, all you need is

• A fast internet connection (10Mbit/sec or more)
  • Awesome wifi in your home (No less than Wireless N)
    OR
  • A solid wired network to connect your Apple TV to (Preferrably 1Gb Ethernet but 100Mbit will suffice)
  • No one else Bittorenting your connection to death!

Since you are already having trouble getting high quality video via wifi, it is safe to assume that your wifi network is experiencing some sort of difficulty and therefore is not adequate enough to play your videos (without additional troubleshooting).

The easiest, quickest, and CHEAPEST way to improve your video quality is to connect your Apple TV to your home network with an Ethernet Cable. This will eliminate all of the possible sources of wifi interference from your ATV setup. (You wouldn't believe how many things can screw up wifi.)

There are many types of Ethernet cables on the market, but for your purposes, you want to acquire a CAT 5E or CAT 6 cable. If cost is a concern, CAT 5E is significantly cheaper than CAT6 and only marginally slower. Monoprice.com sells quality Ethernet cables at a fraction of the cost of a Retail store.

Try this suggestion and see if that helps. If it does not help, you will need to provide us with more details on your home network. Specifically, we need to know,

- Your network topology (i.e. what hardware does your home network consist of and how is it all connected)
- The advertised speed of your internet connection.
- The number of devices that are connected to your network and what sort of usage they get?
- Is the Access Point in your room really an Access Point, or a Router that is connected to your actual internet line? (Some people get this confused so it is important to be clear about this.)
- How many other wifi signals are in your vicinity? (Do you live in a densely populated apartment complex or dorm room, for example?)

DaPhatty

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
It suffices quite well; the Apple TV has a 100Mbit Ethernet port.

Indeed it does. In hindsight, I suppose I did a poor job of explaining that portion. What I meant to suggest was having a Gigabit ethernet network is preferable over 100Mbit, mostly to avoid traffic congestion at the switch level. That said, if you are in complete control over your network and can guarantee no additional and significant sources of traffic exist on your network then 100Mbit is more than adequate for 1080p video traffic.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
I have had an apple TV 3 i think it is for a while now. alot of times the spinning wheel, or buffering takes forever.
it says things like "ready to play in 1 hour and 23 minutes" and if i want it to be faster i should go to my settings and downgrade the settings from the 1080 p i have it set to

How fast is your connection to the internet? It sounds like that is where your problem lies, not in the network within your house.

If your internet connection is slow, You might want to first download your content into an iTunes library in a computer on your home network, then have the Apple TV play the content from that computer, rather than from Apple's servers across the internet.

trock8501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2013
Hi thanks

its 35 down and 10 up, i use a high end HP switch with a very fast backplane and gig connections (to connect most of my devices)

cat5e cables as of now not cat6

i did get the airport time capsule installed as a bridge and connected the AT to the apple airport and it seems faster

i tried a TV show this time and the wait was only 8 minutes vs 1 hour 23 lol

so i am still testing this out with the airport

i can upgrade the WAN connection to another faster speed but the cost is pretty high and its considered business level at that point from my provider

thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.