Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
There are 32 bit drivers in the 10.7.5 package. The 7950 and 7970 show beautiful clear EFI32 boot screens. But since the 32 bit drivers are BROKEN , there is nowhere to go after those beautiful bootscreens.
MacVidCards, the problem sounds deeper in that users report even with a Chameleon boot and 64-bit kernel there still seem to be some issues with a 7xxx in a 1.1/2.1 (sleep trick, custom kexts). I think most 1.1/2.1 owners still using the machines are jumping over to Chameleon bootloader to continue with Mountain Lion/Mavericks leaving 32-bit kernels behind, although EFI boot screens are still exceptionally useful!

I have read that the Mavericks drivers work without the sleep trick at least with the 7970 on Hackintoshes, so perhaps a flashed 7970 + Chameleon/Mavericks will provide boot screens and normal (QE/CI) OS functionality without further hacks to 1.1/2.1?

erokks

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
Sweden
MacVidCards, the problem sounds deeper in that users report even with a Chameleon boot and 64-bit kernel there still seem to be some issues with a 7xxx in a 1.1/2.1 (sleep trick, custom kexts). I think most 1.1/2.1 owners still using the machines are jumping over to Chameleon bootloader to continue with Mountain Lion/Mavericks leaving 32-bit kernels behind, although EFI boot screens are still exceptionally useful!

I have read that the Mavericks drivers work without the sleep trick at least with the 7970 on Hackintoshes, so perhaps a flashed 7970 + Chameleon/Mavericks will provide boot screens and normal (QE/CI) OS functionality without further hacks to 1.1/2.1?

Yes it works. :D
I have the Mac Pro 2.1 with chameleon and flashed MSI 7950. Running Mavericks.

There is only one problem. I have two monitors.
And it boots perfect when i have only one monitor connected.
But as soon as i plug in the other one, just before i reach the desktop. It reboots.

Do you guys have any suggestions? :(

erokks

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
Sweden
7950 works perfectly without Chameleon. You need to use tiamo's 32-bit bootloader. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18434048/

I was hoping to get an answer from you!
Remember you as really helpful and sharp the last time we tried.

Thanks a lot bro! :D:D:D

EDIT: Sweet jesus. I didn't even have to do a fresh install. Just swapped out the boot.efi files and pulled the chameleon drive and BOOM! 7950 works like a charm with two monitors. Once again thank you! This made my day!

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Are you saying here that an 'Out the Box' Mac Edition 7950 will work (including boot screen) in a 'Tiamo' EFI 2006 Mac Pro running Mavericks?

Thanks,

FireArse

It will, but Sapphire will refuse any support in case of issues, if you tell them that you've installed the card in 1,1, 2,1 or 3,1 (see system requirements on their website).
I used flashed cards, not the Mac Edition one.

Last edited:

Finch127

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014
Ireland
It will, but Sapphire will refuse any support in case of issues, if you tell them that you've installed the card in 1,1, 2,1 or 3,1 (see system requirements on their website).

Hey,

As far as I can see, the mac pro 1,1 would need to be upgraded to mavericks pre-installation of this card is that correct? Due to the lack of drivers present on 10.7.5 ?

Also, where did you obtain the bios/rom to flash the card ?

Regards,

Paul

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004

I've just unboxed a Mac Edition 7950 brand new and I don't get boot screen on my 10.9.1 running 2006 Mac Pro...

Any ideas?

I've tried both settings on the UEFI / EFI ROM?

F

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
That's strange. Sapphire one should give a bootscreen regardless of OS. See MVC's original post. All flashed cards (with Sapphire's modified EFI) which I've been testing in my 2,1 with Tiamo's boot.efi worked as they should.
What outputs did you try? Does card work just without bootscreen? You can try to reset PRAM, sometimes NVRAM content needs to be cleared after GPU change.

P.S. Switch should be in EFI position unless you want to boot Win in EFI mode.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Sheep,

I've tried both settings on the ROM switch.

It's only recognised as a 7xxx card in 10.9.1 on MP 2,1

Is there a chance that sapphire upgraded the ROM to 64-bit only?

Where did you get your modified ROM from?

Is there a Sapphire Mac Edition 7950 ROM avaikable which comes from a first revision perhaps? Happy to re-flash if I can get that boot screen..

Your help would be greatly appreciated..

FireArse

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Do you use Tiamo's boot.efi or Chameleon?
Check your PM.

Edit: OK, something must be wrong here...

I've tried both settings on the ROM switch.
It's only recognised as a 7xxx card in 10.9.1 on MP 2,1

EFI isn't recognized if so.

Is there a chance that sapphire upgraded the ROM to 64-bit only?

Small one, but can't tell for sure until I'll see the ROM.
There's few more possibilities as well (manufacturer fault): you got a card with dual UEFI ROMs instead of EFI + UEFI or switch does not work.

Last edited:

Roland L

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Is it definitely the Mac Edition and not merely the regular one in a Mac Edition box?

Very keen to discover what's happening here as I was about to buy a Sapphire ME 7950 for my 1,1

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Is it definitely the Mac Edition and not merely the regular one in a Mac Edition box?

Very keen to discover what's happening here as I was about to buy a Sapphire ME 7950 for my 1,1

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news - this is definitely the real deal from Dabs.com

Matches ALL the online publications on the web - including the toggle switch for ROM and the x2 6-pin connectors to the Main Logic Board for extra power supply.

I am trying to capture the ROM(s) for Sheep666 to analyse. I hope to get this working.

FireArse

Roland L

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Damn. And I note Dabs's price increased from £275 last week to £335 now.

Why is life so unnecessarily difficult for we 1,1 users?!

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
7950 ROM(s)

For anyone that's interested, I have a set of ROMs from a brand-new 7950 that isn't providing boot screens on a Mac Pro 1,1 running Tiamo 10.9.1

I hope to get this working..

Thanks,

FireArse

Roland L

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
What happens when you boot something other than OS X (e.g. Ubuntu, FreeBSD live CD)? Do you see anything on the screen either during their boot sequences or indeed at their login prompts? I think Ubuntu 13.10 has KMS for the 7950 (though I stand correction on that point) so there might be activity almost immediately.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
What happens when you boot something other than OS X (e.g. Ubuntu, FreeBSD live CD)? Do you see anything on the screen either during their boot sequences or indeed at their login prompts? I think Ubuntu 13.10 has KMS for the 7950 (though I stand correction on that point) so there might be activity almost immediately.

I get a black screen until 10.9.1 log in screen, then its ok (no EFI recognised in System Profiler)

I have secured the ROMs by following the instructions below:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/978894-pc-ati-57705870-cards-flashed-to-work-with-mac-pro/

I get the same behaviour when booting a Win98 CD image (as per above link) to open & run atiflash.exe

I am using the DVI interface with my Apple 23 Cinema Display

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Just a close-out of my issue

turns out both ROMs are the UEFI ROM images. My new 7950 Mac Edition card either has a failed ROM switch OR the manufacturing group put the UEFI ROM on both chips(?)

I think I'll return this one and get what I paid for; a card with an EFI ROM on one of side of the switch.

Many thanks to Blacksheeep for his help on this.

FireArse

Roland L

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Thanks for the update. Hope you're able to sort soon. As a temporary solution I've just found a used 5770.

I note that during Mantle (supported by the 7950) testing the PCI bus's bandwidth doesn't seem to be a problem down to 2.0 8x, ie comparable to what our 1,1 support.

When in UEFI mode does the card show anything during Ubuntu's boot sequence?

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
When in UEFI mode does the card show anything during Ubuntu's boot sequence?

I haven't used Ubuntu for a while on the Mac Pro.

I'll tell you what, if you PM me a link to download for an .ISO to burn, I can let you know tomorrow morning before I attempt to flash it to known good ROM?

FireArse

Roland L

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Sorry can't seem to PM on my mobile.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/trusty-desktop-amd64+mac.iso

Hope this boots - 13.10 for Mac64 seems to have vanished.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Sapphire 7950 Mac Edition works perfect in Mac Pro 1,1 or 2,1

Many thanks to the following people for helping to make this happen:

• The mysterious Tiamo for allowing the early Mac Pro run Mavericks as seamless as any version of OS X from 10.3 onwards
  • The SFOTT developer for making the Tiamo fix so easy to apply
  • Blacksheeep for identifying dodgy Sapphire manufacturing & testing (they installed the UEFI ROM on both ROM options). Blacksheep also provided a proper Mac Edition 7950 ROM for me to install
  • http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/978894-pc-ati-57705870-cards-flashed-to-work-with-mac-pro/ for spelling out exactly how to backup & flash GPU ROMs.
  • There are probably a whole host of people I've not mentioned, netkas? MacVidcards... great work

My Mac Pro 1,1 feels amazing. By far and away the best techie purchase I've made. See attached.

The 7950 is incredibly quieter than the 4870 it's replaced. And thats with the case open next to my feet. Unbelievable.

Attachments

• 7950 on Mac Pro 2,1.jpg
    7950 on Mac Pro 2,1.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 382

saqibhasan

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
Many thanks to the following people for helping to make this happen:

• The mysterious Tiamo for allowing the early Mac Pro run Mavericks as seamless as any version of OS X from 10.3 onwards
  • The SFOTT developer for making the Tiamo fix so easy to apply
  • Blacksheeep for identifying dodgy Sapphire manufacturing & testing (they installed the UEFI ROM on both ROM options). Blacksheep also provided a proper Mac Edition 7950 ROM for me to install
  • http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/978894-pc-ati-57705870-cards-flashed-to-work-with-mac-pro/ for spelling out exactly how to backup & flash GPU ROMs.
  • There are probably a whole host of people I've not mentioned, netkas? MacVidcards... great work

My Mac Pro 1,1 feels amazing. By far and away the best techie purchase I've made. See attached.

The 7950 is incredibly quieter than the 4870 it's replaced. And thats with the case open next to my feet. Unbelievable.

this is great - i have the same machine (1,1 - 2006) as you - was it easy enough to do? just swap out card on the 1,1? and all boot screens available? or do i need to work some magic?

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
this is great - i have the same machine (1,1 - 2006) as you - was it easy enough to do? just swap out card on the 1,1? and all boot screens available? or do i need to work some magic?

Yes this works 100%. With the 7950 flashed properly, the unit boots perfectly, the GPU is referred-to properly in Mavericks (yes, thats Mavericks on the 2006) and I do not have any sleep issues.

It is easy but you do need the additional power cables to the GPU from the Main Logic Board / Motherboard.

The only issue I presently have is iMessage.

It is easy & works. Tiamo have given life to this hardware again.

Thanks Tiamo - whoever you are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.