Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I just bought a new MacBook Air today and it was my first time bringing it to work. I turned the computer and it automatically connected to wifi without me choosing anything. I didn't even have to enter a password and I am able to go online. The password is very intricate so I don't know how the computer was able bypass this.

Any ideas on how this happened? I have never heard of this before.

This is some machine :D

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
there is 100% no guest account. i had to enter the password on my iPad and iPhone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
ahhh thank you. possibly my iCloud account has something to do with it. this makes sense. thanks!

Actually, yes. If you're using iCloud keychain, then Wifi passwords will propagate to all of your iCloud-connected devices (including Macs, iPhones and iPads).

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
I have a router that uses WPS. I don't need to put any password on my devices to connect to a secure WiFi connection. I'm well aware of the WPS hack. The router's firmware has WPS protection that it automatically disables WPS in case of an attempt by hacker to bombard the router with WPS authentication.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Actually, yes. If you're using iCloud keychain, then Wifi passwords will propagate to all of your iCloud-connected devices (including Macs, iPhones and iPads).

yes i am using iCloud keychain. Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.