Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Anki Drive, the iOS-controlled AI-based racing game that first debuted at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, got a major app update today, adding new weapons, support items, and a new upgrade system.

Following the update, there are a total of 20 upgrades that can be used to customize cars, in categories like Combat, Chassis, Engine, and Energy Systems. The Anki Cars, which are largely self-operating and steer by themselves via Bluetooth, can be upgraded with different abilities and statistics that make each car unique.

Additional weapons have been added as well, such as the EMP, which is used by the player to shoot other cars as they race along the track. There are two new support items, the Reverse Drive and the Kinetic Brake, which allow users to do a 180 degree turn or come to a dead stop on the track.

Players are also no longer locked into specific upgrades as they were in the past and can freely choose to buy and sell upgrades.

upgrades.jpg
We're proud to announce a major app update to improve and enhance Anki Drive:
- EXPANDED UPGRADE SYSTEMS
Enter the Garage and customize the new Combat, Chassis, Engine, and Energy Systems. Choose your path, buy & sell upgrades, and level up!
- NEW WEAPONS AND SUPPORT ITEMS
Arm yourself with the all new EMP, Reverse Drive, Horn, and Kinetic Brake. Remember: swipe left & right on the triggers during gameplay to switch weapons.
- THE ARMORY HAS MOVED
Each vehicle now has it's own set of Weapons and Support Items. Configure them via the Armory in the Garage.
- EARN BOUNTIES
Earn greater rewards for defeating stronger opponents. The higher a vehicle's Level, the more bounty you earn for defeating it!
- VEHICLE SOFTWARE UPDATES
Once updated, vehicles can use the new Upgrade Systems. All existing purchases have been refunded, and you'll get even more points for each vehicle you update in the Garage.
- SMARTER AI
Think you can beat the AI on hard? We sure don't... especially with our recent improvements. It's smarter than ever. Think you've got what it takes?
- IMPROVEMENTS THROUGHOUT THE GAME
Enhancements and fixes make it even more fun to play.
Alongside the update, the creators of Anki Drive have released a few statistics on the game, which has been available for more than two months. Anki users have raced approximately 42 million laps around the track, the equivalent of 540,000 Monaco Grand Prix races. The game's AI, when set to hard, has also managed to win 9 out of 10 races.

The Anki Drive Starter Kit, which includes two cars and a track, can be purchased from the Apple Store for $199.95. The accompanying Anki Drive app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Anki Drive' App Updated With New Weapons and Upgrades

Lionel Messi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
Cool toy and amazing features but my baby Thiago now finds it difficult to play with his iPad after this update. He used to play it almost everyday and I occasionally played with him.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Besides the statistics provided by Anki it would have been of interest how many kits they sold up until now.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I suppose, it's not enough that a car go fast and navigate and strategize on its own. It's got to have weapons and kill everybody else on the track.

Sometimes I think about where this mostly stupid and barbaric species of ours is heading and look forward to an asteroid or a virus or israeli nukes to just get it over with and finish the job already.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
I suppose, it's not enough that a car go fast and navigate and strategize on its own. It's got to have weapons and kill everybody else on the track.

Sometimes I think about where this mostly stupid and barbaric species of ours is heading and look forward to an asteroid or a virus or israeli nukes to just get it over with and finish the job already.

Wow, that was depressing. :rolleyes:

I'd gladly buy this just for the novelty of it but I can barely justify buying a $200 toy as a grown man having more pressing expenses.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008

Yeah, humanity can be pretty scary. Example: I was once reading comments on a news article about an interesting toy, and one poster managed to go from toys to how optimistic they are about various apocalyptic scenarios. Pretty freaky. ;)

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I'd gladly buy this just for the novelty of it but I can barely justify buying a $200 toy as a grown man having more pressing expenses.

Maybe something like this?! It's Big Boy:

upbb4.jpg

Union Pacific Big Boy 4002​

(But it isn't $200.) As a model railroad/streetcar/car/trolleybus fanatic (AND racing video games) I am very interested in that AI racing toy. Will gather more information on this.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I'm going to wait until they put a camera in these cars so I can have bonnet view. THAT would be cool (and is probably already in the works).

Otherwise as it is... $200 is too much to pay for what you get. Plus the craftsmanship that goes into those cars speak "Cheap Chinese labour" to me. I'm not paying $200 so that some underage Chinese people can be overworked. If that money were going to US workers though and you have US craftsmanship go into these things... then maybe I'd be swayed.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California

Israeli nukes? Oh! You mean the nukes all the countries around it are trying to send at Israel!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.