Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a new Apple support document, though the new Mac Pro is designed to be used in the upright position, it can also be used on its side. Owners of multiple Mac Pro units should ensure that the exhaust and intake ports are not aligned too closely as this can affect the cooling abilities of the machine.

sidewaysmacproverge.jpg
The Mac Pro (2013) has a fan system capable of cooling the computer in a vertical or horizontal orientation as long as you follow these guidelines.

- Provide enough space at each end of the computer for unrestricted airflow into the base and out the exhaust at the top. Make sure that the air intake and exhaust ports are not covered.

- When using multiple Mac Pro (Late 2013) computers, do not direct the exhaust at the top of one Mac Pro towards the intake of another system. Place the computers side by side with a gap of at least several inches between them.

- When on its side, secure the Mac Pro (Late 2013) to be sure that it doesn't roll. Place the computer on a protective surface that will not scratch or damage the enclosure. Note: The Apple Limited Warranty does not cover cosmetic damage to the enclosure.

- Orient the computer so that the Input/Output (I/O) panel remains accessible during use.
It is likely that third-party companies will come out with rack-mount options for the new Mac Pro at some point and those mounts could see the machine aligned on its side in order to maximize space.

(Sideways Mac Pro courtesy The Verge)

Article Link: New Mac Pro Safe to Operate Horizontally

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
That's kind of strange to do without special racks, though. :eek:

Rolling would definitely be a problem on most surfaces. A carpet floor would be fine, but this computer was designed to be used vertically...

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I don't feel like Apple intended these to be used on their side. While it's technically possible, I can't see how this would be an advantage. But it's a fun idea!

Last edited:

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Why? Even in a rack mount environment, I don't see a need. It would be safer to secure it from the flat bottom surface, rather than the side.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Wasn't it Xsan or something that let you link multiple computers together? Could MacPros be linked into some monster super computer?

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Why? Even in a rack mount environment, I don't see a need. It would be safer to secure it from the flat bottom surface, rather than the side.

In a rack environment it may need to be aligned horizontally to be in line with proper cooling for the rack. Intake in the front and exhaust in the back. It will be interesting to see a beehive arrangement of Mac pros in a rendering farm.

I could also see this for custom transport solutions for mobile Mac Pro use. A rolling cargo unit designed to secure a Mac Pro and assorted professional gear for easy transport.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I have a custom built rack here. Just need the Mac pros.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 208

thornwald

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
In a rack environment it may need to be aligned horizontally to be in line with proper cooling for the rack. Intake in the front and exhaust in the back. It will be interesting to see a beehive arrangement of Mac pros in a rendering farm.

I could also see this for custom transport solutions for mobile Mac Pro use. A rolling cargo unit designed to secure a Mac Pro and assorted professional gear for easy transport.

Who's going to be that first guy with his new Mac Pro & 27" 4K monitor at Starbucks?

MacStadium

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Atlanta, Ga
Mac Pro Datacenter Racks

Some of our contacts inside Apple had unofficially told us directly this past summer that they would work fine on their sides. Its good to hear that they have finally validated that. :)

mac-pro_datacenter_rack_white.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

frozen220

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Mac Pro on set

For those of us in the film industry, especially DITs (digital imaging technicians) this new smaller lighter design is great. Yes, people do need the power of Mac Pro outside of an office in a mobile setting. Go to any film set and you'll find at least one Mac Pro built into a rolling cart. A very heavy rolling cart with large monitors and other equipment like storage arrays. Rolling!!

IMG_0567.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.