Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Stolen-19000-Worth-Of-Girl-Scout-Cookies-193700081.html

Some Girl Scout cookie lovers in South Carolina are going to be missing out on some of the seasonal treats this year.

Thieves broke into a warehouse in Spartanburg, South Carolina and stole almost $19,000 worth of the yummy treats.

The theft was discovered when inventory was being taken at Carey Moving and Storage where the bulk of the cookies are delivered and stored.

The thieves seem to favor thin mints and shortbreads...those were the only two flavors taken.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
And so the cookie crumbles. Those are my favorite ones as well. Finally can get some cheaper. Big cookie sale happening at your local corner soon! LOL!

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Stealing from little girls, literally. Good job. I'm sure the scumbags can rationalize it somehow.

Not quite. They stole from the organization. Literally stealing from little girls would be the thieves going to where they sell the cookies and robbing them.......

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Thin mints and shortbreads? They can have 'em. Leave me my Do-Si-Dos.

Oh, and if there are any Girl Scouts reading this (yeah, right): bring back the All-Abouts!!

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I ordered from two people. I hope this doesn't delay my shipment :D, I have a pregnant wife to feed.

$19,000 worth, that's like 20 boxes these days right?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Ahem, if anyone, no one in particular mind you, wants to PM me, uh, I'm a huge Thin Mint fan. Just sayin'. I'm not too far from SC either, if you wanna meet. Just to say 'Hello,' of course...

:eek:

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
Not quite. They stole from the organization. Literally stealing from little girls would be the thieves going to where they sell the cookies and robbing them.......

So the girls themselves are not part of the organization?

I don't get the humor over this. Cookie sales support the troops, their events and the infrastructure... Perhaps it is also now funny when thieves steal from Toys for Tots, Homes for Humanity, or food pantries.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
So the girls themselves are not part of the organization?

I don't get the humor over this. Cookie sales support the troops, their events and the infrastructure... Perhaps it is also now funny when thieves steal from Toys for Tots, Homes for Humanity, or food pantries.

So if I rob a preschool for whatever reason, I stole from kids too since they are a part of that school? I don't follow that logic.

The thief stole from the organization, not the girls themselves. I never found any humor in this so I don't know what you're getting at.....

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
So if I rob a preschool for whatever reason, I stole from kids too since they are a part of that school? I don't follow that logic.

The thief stole from the organization, not the girls themselves. I never found any humor in this so I don't know what you're getting at.....

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were the one finding humor in the situation. Other posters, however, seem to be making light of the situation.

And sorry again, but as much as you can't follow my logic, I'll admit I don't understand the distinction you are drawing. Except for the Girl Scout nat'l organization, everyone else is a volunteer. It's a non-profit organization, which its members belong to once they join.

Unless the storage company or its insurance is stepping up to cover the loss, it's on the Girl Scouts (or their insurance company, followed by subsequent higher insurance charges)...

As I perceive it, your argument is like saying "I stole from the club, not its members," or, "I stole from the Toys for Tots organization, not the kids who now won't get toys because of the theft." Admittedly my ability to compartmentalize things in these situations is not very high. Perhaps that is reacting too emotionally, but if the end result is that the kids are deprived, IMO the thieves are literally stealing from the kids.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
In other news, a knock-off Girl Scout troop of girls was enlisted to sell them.

I was going to say..... why?! What do you do with about 4,000 stolen boxes of cookies?

I wonder if there was more to the story. Like maybe the real target was to steal a truck, that happened to contain the cookies. The cookies make for a much more entertaining headline.

WildCard^

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
This is a thread from last March, but my first guess was that it was insurance fraud. If a troop was desperate enough, stage a robbery of your overstock.

I think it was last year that the GS changed the sourcing, so the troop has to buy the cookies, then sell them - vs how they previously did it which was sell them, make huge bulk order, wait for delivery, then deliver to the buyers, collect cash. It was weird, seemed like it was more pressured, different.

Or was that change just here in my area of the midwest? My girls' troop said it was nationwide, but maybe not.

----------

I was going to say..... why?! What do you do with about 4,000 stolen boxes of cookies?

so 4000 boxes = around 333 cases assuming 12 per case. Assuming each box is about a foot cubed, that means 64 cases per skid.

That means this was about 5-6 skids of cookies taken. How would you store that. It was in SC, so you would think outside storage unit would melt the chocolate and the rats and mice would tear them up.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Not a fan of those overpriced, overrated cookies. $19,000 worth of cookies probably cost $2000 to manufacture and ship. Still a sad deal though.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
holythreadresurrectionbye1.jpg

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
This kind of theft should be a good reason to bring public flogging back and massive community service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.